Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: COIN Man  (Read 987 times)

Servant Corps

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
COIN Man
« on: September 14, 2009, 12:09:06 am »

I have an idea for a superhero, but no way to actually use him. COIN Man.

See, COIN stands for Counter-Insurgency, so COIN Man would be a superhero who specializes in counter-insurgency. He can find insurgents while at the same time "winning hearts and minds". He follow counter-insurgency "by the book" basically.

Since many people are worried about counter-insurgency, I think this superhero would be relevant to the times. But he also seems rather...boring.
I have left Bay12Games to pursue a life of non-Bay12Games. If you need to talk to me, please email at me at igorhorst at gmail dot com.

Dasleah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: COIN Man
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2009, 12:15:33 am »

So, basically where normal Captain America had Nazis to start off with, this one has terrywrists? And he can't really follow COIN (for lack of a better acronym) procedures by the book, as by definition they've got to be as secret if not more so than the programs they're trying to shut down. It's hard to bust in the doors of your neighbours in secrecy whilst wearing brightly coloured spandex and shouting patriotic slogans. And people are going to be extremely paranoid of someone sniffing out home-grown terrorists - good or bad, he's in the job where you have to suspect everyone, otherwise you'll let Joe Average through with his lunchpail of thermite as he goes to work. Even then, in this sort of work you don't distinguish between those who fight for a cause and those who simply believe in it, meaning that odds are he will have to target people who are just exercising their rights to believe in something different than him.

Of course, he needs an insurgency to fight, so this conflict will define him as much as whatever else he says or does.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2009, 12:18:30 am by Dasleah »
Pokethulhu Orange: UPDATE 25
The Roguelike Development Megathread.

As well, all the posts i've seen you make are flame posts, barely if at all constructive.

Servant Corps

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2009, 12:20:21 am »

Well, the thing is, this guy isn't against terrorism, just insurgencies. I'm sure COIN Man would have been more than ready to help any government put down any insurgency.
I have left Bay12Games to pursue a life of non-Bay12Games. If you need to talk to me, please email at me at igorhorst at gmail dot com.

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2009, 12:21:44 am »

(S)He could be a stealthy Batman-style superhero. So long as (s)he gets rid of people actively causing terror to those around them, the whole thing should fall in place.

But the guy is still a boring character. We need a twist here. And no, a dead family member killed by terrorists isn't gonna cut it.

Edit: That is an interesting twist in itself. Imagine N-Korea putting down a revolution and COIN man helping.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

Jakkarra

• Bay Watcher
  • The Chairman.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2009, 01:20:26 am »

Y'know, it'd be funnier if he DOES just target specific people.

Letting Joe Average through and searching all the other ethnic groups would be FUNNY.

Unless... he's a serious superhero, in which case, a combination of the Punisher, Batman and the Taxman would be best.

Ultimuh

• Bay Watcher
  • BOOM! Avatar gone! (for now)
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2009, 09:10:41 am »

Unless... he's a serious superhero, in which case, a combination of the Punisher, Batman and the Taxman would be best.

If we put Wolverine in the mix too,THAT would be badass.
But no.. that's not boring enough.  ;D

Rashilul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2009, 11:54:10 am »

If we put Wolverine in the mix too,THAT would be stupid.
But no.. that's not boring enough.  ;D
I think we should stretch away from the spandex.