Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: Khazad development snapshots - 288  (Read 14739 times)

Chubacca

• Bay Watcher
  • Ukraine
    • View Profile
Re: Khazad development snapshots - 196
« Reply #15 on: September 18, 2009, 08:06:44 am »

Hm...stone textures are there(in texture folder) but I cant find theme on the map.
BTW cool now walls have top and sides textures.

peterix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Dethware
Re: Khazad development snapshots - 196
« Reply #16 on: September 18, 2009, 11:53:26 am »

I haven't added them into the materials file yet. I've added a lot od comments tho. That should clarify some things.

The extracted DF materials are currently disabled - that's why the differences show up.

Here's one idea from roughly 2 months ago:
I'll take this icon I use and make a few more (round ones, etc.).

Then I'll take the default vein texture and superimpose the icons over it (corrected for gem color extracted from the game).

Should look like this in the end:

Anyway, I'll continue working on the internals for now. There will be another snapshot today :)

peterix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Dethware
Re: Khazad development snapshots - 198
« Reply #17 on: September 18, 2009, 08:34:59 pm »

Another day, another snapshot ;)

Chubacca

• Bay Watcher
  • Ukraine
    • View Profile
Re: Khazad development snapshots - 199
« Reply #18 on: September 21, 2009, 11:53:55 am »

With each revision Khazad becomes one step closer to release =)
this one is already well optimized)

calrogman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Khazad development snapshots - 188
« Reply #19 on: September 22, 2009, 12:37:33 pm »

How much work would it take to port this to Linux?
It already runs on linux. It's my main system.

:D

Dr. Johbson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 22, 2009, 01:56:18 pm »

What is this exactly? I've never seen it before...

Chubacca

• Bay Watcher
  • Ukraine
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 22, 2009, 02:03:30 pm »

It is Visualizer for DF,in this tread Peterix post's new revisions of it.

Screenshot:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 22, 2009, 02:21:20 pm »

We demand trees :D.

The thing that makes Visual Fortress so appealing is the existance of beautifully rendered trees.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

peterix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Dethware
« Reply #23 on: September 22, 2009, 02:38:19 pm »

We demand trees :D.

The thing that makes Visual Fortress so appealing is the existance of beautifully rendered trees.
They are there - even their types. Extracted from DF and ready to be used. All that is required is a way to paint them.
I put in this simplistic tree polygon but.. well. It's really basic.

I'm working on a new renderer now (and better texture generator). I'm not certain how much better will it be in terms of raw performance, but it should allow doing some nice things. Even in its current state, there's no more distortion when you zoom out.

It shouldn't be a problem once this renderer work is finished. Right now, I'm tearing down things so that I can build better ones.

I'll publish some kind of roadmap for khazad with the next snapshot so you know what goal I'm working towards.

peterix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Dethware
« Reply #24 on: September 25, 2009, 07:59:34 pm »

Update:
I've been working on converting the renderer to use Vertex Buffer Objects instead of Display lists. Next on the list are shaders, models, some texture generator rework and lights. It will take longer to optimize things again, but I think this is a good improvement overall.
Currently it's kinda rough with all the slopes and transparencies missing. I won't be bringing the ugly rectangle buildings and trees back tho. Soon, there will be real ones :D

Click for development image log

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 26, 2009, 03:17:36 am »

I like Khazad because it renders the whole scene without view distance limitations really fast :). Now, show us your trees :D. Just don't make them by name, or it would affect modded trees. Make them detectable by type (common/broadleaf/evergreen etc.).
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

peterix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Dethware
« Reply #26 on: September 28, 2009, 07:37:56 pm »

Models now load and render. There is only one - a saguaro. Every plant is a saguaro. I hope this saguaro invasion will be a short one.

The giant cactus plant in its native habiat:

But really, you can find them even on frozen tundra.

About providing fallback models for unknown plants/trees: very unlikely at this stage. Unless you like to have saguaros everywhere ;) Problem is that DF trees only have biomes where they can grow - unfortunately, this doesn't determine their type entirely. I'll have to extend dfhack quite a bit too... stuff like a working renderer, light and proper materials wins.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2009, 07:43:36 pm by peterix »

Chubacca

• Bay Watcher
  • Ukraine
    • View Profile
Re: Khazad development snapshots - 226
« Reply #27 on: October 01, 2009, 12:38:23 pm »

Yay! New revision!)

some screenshot's of my fort and human village,it's not so cool but anyway it's in 3d and with lightning and trees! =)

Post your megaprojects/fortresses etc. =)
« Last Edit: October 01, 2009, 06:24:05 pm by Chubacca »

MP2E

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 01, 2009, 10:02:11 pm »

How much work would it take to port this to Linux?
It already runs on linux. It's my main system.
I just don't make packages or binary releases... mainly because I'm always using the newest versions of system libraries and if I released the compiled binaries, it wouldn't run on other distros. Those libraries often aren't backwards-compatible. Plus I would have to mess with chroot environments to build a 32bit version - my system is 64bit-only.

Yes. I'm lazy. I'll put together some updated build instructions later.
I can't wait for this. Also, I can create 32-bit and 64-bit builds because my version of GCC is multilib(all I have to do is pass -m32 or -m64 to the configure/make command). Most binaries actually do run cross distro, as long as you make sure to link to the right binaries that aren't distro-specific patched or anything. For instance, I've got a few Ubuntu binaries to run flawlessly in ArchLinux. I can make a few "generic" binaries and we can test them, if you would like.

Lastly, when the build instructions are up, I'll be sure to make a package in the AUR for this program :) (Arch User Repository, basically allows everyone using arch to install this extremely easily)

Buddybud

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Khazad development snapshots - 226
« Reply #29 on: October 01, 2009, 11:54:53 pm »

latest build both loads faster and closes faster. Also i find the fps more consistent. I have an old system, specifically an p4s533 board with a 1.7ghz processor, 512mb of ram and a old geforce3 video card with 256mb of ram. So overall i'm quite pleased.

My only critique would be the size of the trees, personally i would either reduce the overall size by about 50% or possibly just reduce the diameter of the tree trunks to make the trees seem more lofty. But thats just personal preference.

Cheers, looking great!!!!!

Bud
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4