Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: Khazad development snapshots - 288  (Read 14787 times)

peterix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Dethware
Re: Khazad development snapshots - 188
« Reply #30 on: October 02, 2009, 03:47:51 am »

I can't wait for this. Also, I can create 32-bit and 64-bit builds because my version of GCC is multilib(all I have to do is pass -m32 or -m64 to the configure/make command). Most binaries actually do run cross distro, as long as you make sure to link to the right binaries that aren't distro-specific patched or anything. For instance, I've got a few Ubuntu binaries to run flawlessly in ArchLinux. I can make a few "generic" binaries and we can test them, if you would like.

Lastly, when the build instructions are up, I'll be sure to make a package in the AUR for this program :) (Arch User Repository, basically allows everyone using arch to install this extremely easily)
Well, there are some issues with all this.

* The build system is the one used in code:blocks. This means it needs to be compiled undex X. It needs to be fixed by using a different one like cmake. I recently started to use KDevelop4, so this won't take so long. Using one IDE for coding and second one for compiling/debugging gets old very quickly ;) There's the slight overhead of maintaining the Windows code:blocks project file, but that will remain there no matter what - Impaler uses it and I don't want to interfere with that in any way.
* It's linked to the OpenGL library - preventing static linking and probably causing some problems. I need a mechanism to load the library and query it for functions on khazad startup. (ld/LoadLibrary)
* Finally, it doesn't have support for the usual unix layout with things placed all over the filesystem. No idea how AUR would handle that with tools like yaourt.

All solvable, but requires some attention and time :)

Obviously, an automated solution (cpack?) that packages everything for all the supported systems and uploads the packages somewhere would be ideal. Cross-compiling with mingw would be fine too I think - it's used on Windows anyway.

Now the build instruction:
Open up Projects/Linux/CodeBlocks/Khazad.cbp in Code:Blocks, tweak some settings in the GUI and hit build. That's what I do.
Code can be checked out from sourceforge:
Code: [Select]
svn co https://khazad.svn.sourceforge.net/svnroot/khazad/Khazad/trunk khazad
All added to the already miles long TODO list. ;)

peterix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Dethware
Re: Khazad development snapshots - 226
« Reply #31 on: October 02, 2009, 04:03:05 am »

Now here's something I work on right now: a new z-level slider :) The functionality should be there... looks (and sounds!) will follow.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Vince

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Khazad development snapshots - 226
« Reply #32 on: October 02, 2009, 04:34:53 am »

Crash to desktop with 226 and 40d16.
stdout:

MP2E

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 03, 2009, 12:30:53 am »

Well, there are some issues with all this.

* The build system is the one used in code:blocks. This means it needs to be compiled undex X. It needs to be fixed by using a different one like cmake. I recently started to use KDevelop4, so this won't take so long. Using one IDE for coding and second one for compiling/debugging gets old very quickly ;) There's the slight overhead of maintaining the Windows code:blocks project file, but that will remain there no matter what - Impaler uses it and I don't want to interfere with that in any way.
* It's linked to the OpenGL library - preventing static linking and probably causing some problems. I need a mechanism to load the library and query it for functions on khazad startup. (ld/LoadLibrary)
* Finally, it doesn't have support for the usual unix layout with things placed all over the filesystem. No idea how AUR would handle that with tools like yaourt.

All solvable, but requires some attention and time :)

Obviously, an automated solution (cpack?) that packages everything for all the supported systems and uploads the packages somewhere would be ideal. Cross-compiling with mingw would be fine too I think - it's used on Windows anyway.

Now the build instruction:
Open up Projects/Linux/CodeBlocks/Khazad.cbp in Code:Blocks, tweak some settings in the GUI and hit build. That's what I do.
Code can be checked out from sourceforge:
Code: [Select]
svn co https://khazad.svn.sourceforge.net/svnroot/khazad/Khazad/trunk khazad
All added to the already miles long TODO list. ;)
Compiled perfectly with Code::Blocks, works great! :)
The last one on there isn't too big of an issue, on the AUR people commonly put "self-contained" packages in the /opt folder and link to the executable in /usr/bin. See dwarffortress for instance, the actual folder you would get off the website goes in opt and the executables are just symlinked into /usr/bin :P Though putting it in actual "standard" linux folder format would definitely be nice. I'm sure it's not even that difficult, they merely need to be put in the right folders. Don't C executables generally look for libs in the /usr/lib folder on linux anyway?

Impaler[WrG]

• Bay Watcher
  • Khazad Project Leader
    • View Profile
Re: Khazad development snapshots - 228
« Reply #34 on: October 03, 2009, 05:29:09 am »

Howdy folks, Peterix has been carrying the flame all by himself for a while but no more.  I'm now back to coding and working on doing the procedurally generate material/surface-texture stuff that been long awaited.  I'm glad to see interest continuing to grow and if any who knows C++ wants to start helping just send me a PM and I can see to getting to involved.

In the meantime Peterix's slider is in and so far its very impressive, I encourage everyone to give the new snapshot a try, we could use some feed back on the usability of the slider, particularly how intuitive and easy to use, or it could be made more so.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2009, 05:34:25 am by Impaler[WrG] »
Khazad the Isometric Fortress Engine
Extract forts from DF, load and save them to file and view them in full 3D

Khazad Home Thread
Khazad v0.0.5 Download

Vince

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Khazad development snapshots - 228
« Reply #35 on: October 03, 2009, 06:26:16 am »

The new snapshot works! Strangely. :D (I didn't even restart or install anything)
Great work!

peterix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Dethware
« Reply #36 on: October 03, 2009, 04:09:27 pm »

Compiled perfectly with Code::Blocks, works great! :)
The last one on there isn't too big of an issue, on the AUR people commonly put "self-contained" packages in the /opt folder and link to the executable in /usr/bin. See dwarffortress for instance, the actual folder you would get off the website goes in opt and the executables are just symlinked into /usr/bin :P Though putting it in actual "standard" linux folder format would definitely be nice. I'm sure it's not even that difficult, they merely need to be put in the right folders. Don't C executables generally look for libs in the /usr/lib folder on linux anyway?
Ok. I'll be working on the first issue now. I'll put off the other two for now. Having this in AUR will be nice :)

tbh, I have this huge structure of linux and windows DF folders all sharing the same saves for testing, so I never tried using the PKGBUILD from AUR :)

Vince

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Khazad development snapshots - 250
« Reply #37 on: October 07, 2009, 10:04:02 am »

250 crashes

Seems to be something different this time :D

BloodBeard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 07, 2009, 01:33:19 pm »

Hey, it's actually loading this time  :D

I can't load any of the savefiles or dump any active maps but the main screen actually loads, it didn't do that with the old khazad.

stdout when trying to dump a map:

Btw, can anyone post some updated screenshots of the phoenix fort? I'm interested to see what it looks like with these updated textures and things. Thanks.

I'm pretty sure the dump file I sent you had little or no trees (I needed alot of wood), and i've done a little more refining since then so if I can get this working I could send you an updated map.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2009, 01:35:17 pm by BloodBeard »

peterix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Dethware
« Reply #39 on: October 08, 2009, 02:18:02 pm »

Vince, BloodBeard:
I found some errors roughly around the place where it starts extracting the map. I won't post this snapshot in the first post, because it's very broken in different ways, but I fixed the errors I could (those detectable from Linux - there's no decent memory tracing app on Windows that's not bloody expensive or doesn't crash instantly on 7).

Give it a spin. Materials and map geometry will be probably wrong tho. If it works, I'll push out SVN250 with only the bugfix changes.

BloodBeard: save/load of maps is disabled (actually, only the icons are there... I should probably grey them out or something.) No idea how phoenix fort looks right now. Best bet is to send the DF save as that has all the data... old khazad saves had only the basic map without materials, trees, etc.

Vince

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 08, 2009, 02:40:34 pm »

It works. The geometry is glitched, though, like you said.
Nice work nevertheless!

Randominality

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:EAT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 08, 2009, 03:04:56 pm »

I like it.
However would it be possible to have a wall cut-away mode? Mainly because although I used to be completely into the whole idea of an isometric view, after seeing this and setting it to isometric viewpoint I realised the whole obstruction thing really is a huge issue and certain configurations of walls tend to become a bit Escherian. And since cut-away has been proposed many times a a solution to this, I think it would be really cool to see if it is actually a viable solution.
Oh Gordon Freeman, what medical procedure can't you educate alien war machines about?

peterix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Dethware
« Reply #42 on: October 08, 2009, 03:20:51 pm »

I like it.
However would it be possible to have a wall cut-away mode? Mainly because although I used to be completely into the whole idea of an isometric view, after seeing this and setting it to isometric viewpoint I realised the whole obstruction thing really is a huge issue and certain configurations of walls tend to become a bit Escherian. And since cut-away has been proposed many times a a solution to this, I think it would be really cool to see if it is actually a viable solution.
Well, there's the slice tool on the right of the screen :)

If you mean cutting away walls that are blocking the view, then that's what Impaler works on right now. There should be a few view modes to choose from eventually.

Impaler[WrG]

• Bay Watcher
  • Khazad Project Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 08, 2009, 03:49:35 pm »

Indeed, I'm planning 4 modes as of right now, if some don't look good they might get dropped.

Imagine a tunnel through Rock, theirs are lots of different surfaces that get rendered, theirs the tunnel floor, the sides of the tunnel, the 'tops' of the adjacent solid walls and then the sides of those walls.

The view your used too is ware all of those things get rendered and you can tell the rock type of the wall by its top and sides but they can block the interior.  This will remain as one of the options but their will be an option to just show the floor and sides of the tunnel, the floor and the ONLY the back wall of the tunnel, or just the floors.

Also I have a new screen shot showing off the lighting system & normals work Peterix has been up too.  Their are actually two lights of slightly different color acting on the terrain to produce the desired effect. The plan is to make the light sources intensity adjustable in the UI at some point.  You can also see their are more tree models included, these are accurately matched with a particular type of tree (Maple, Birch and Chestnut in this shot).

« Last Edit: October 08, 2009, 04:11:51 pm by Impaler[WrG] »
Khazad the Isometric Fortress Engine
Extract forts from DF, load and save them to file and view them in full 3D

Khazad Home Thread
Khazad v0.0.5 Download

BloodBeard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: October 08, 2009, 04:03:21 pm »

Vince, BloodBeard:
I found some errors roughly around the place where it starts extracting the map. I won't post this snapshot in the first post, because it's very broken in different ways, but I fixed the errors I could (those detectable from Linux - there's no decent memory tracing app on Windows that's not bloody expensive or doesn't crash instantly on 7).

A little too broken  :D. I get a diagnostic error when trying to extract it, saying "The archive is either in unknown format or damaged".
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4