Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Population Cap Alterations  (Read 576 times)

MrBeeAreWhy

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Population Cap Alterations
« on: September 15, 2009, 04:09:13 am »

I'm aware of how to reduce the population cap, however what I'm looking for is a little more involved than that. Searching on here has not provided me with any insight, so my apologies if this is redundant.

I want to reduce my population cap to something around 60, but maintain all of the other features such as nobles, sieges, the king, so on. I'm curious if, along with lowering the overall pop cap, there's a way for me to alter it so that nobles/sieges begin showing up at lower pop numbers as well?

In short: I want a population cap of say, 60, with sieges starting at 40 (or any other number I define), and nobles arriving at equivalently reduced populations.

Any guidance would be great, thanks!

Johnny Chthonic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Population Cap Alterations
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2009, 04:14:51 am »

I think the noble stuff is hardcoded, and that's why it isn't in any of the raws. I don't think you can effectively change anything related to nobles at all, frankly. You should be able to get gobbos and such to siege you at lower populations by looking for the trigger_population token in their entity file.

If it helps, why do you want them to show up at a lower population? If it's just because you want less dorfs, or if your PC can't take it, you could try murdering a bunch of migrants and then changing the init file to your new population.

MrBeeAreWhy

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2009, 04:26:03 am »

I was beginning to figure it was all hard-coded after looking through the raws.

As for why, largely for game speed. If I can alter sieges, that should be fine. I'm sure I can live without the nobles, but I like the element of.. "difficulty" they add.

Thanks for the help and quick reply.

Johnny Chthonic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2009, 04:28:50 am »

Do you have the new release? Go grab 40d16 if you're running too slow, it should give you a significant boost to framerate.

Aside from that, I suggest you wait for nobles to show up, then kill everyone you don't want until your pop is where you want it, save, quit, change the pop cap, and voila.

MrBeeAreWhy

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2009, 04:46:43 am »

I didn't have 40d16, go figure. I had downloaded the latest off the front page and not nabbed d16 from the forums. I only recently picked DF back up after playing it some months ago so I didn't even think to check there.

It definitely helps, thanks.

DennyTom

• Bay Watcher
  • !!Urist!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2009, 04:59:58 am »

There is also a non-mod possibility for this (but not solving problem with FPS).

Play with normal lowered pop cap, create extreme amout of weath, build roads and buildings, send lots a lots offerings. Then temporarly increase your pop-cap. Dwarves should immigrate in big waves and nobles should come quickly too. When king arrives, lower the pop cap and kill everyone you do not like.
It is so much easier to measure life in experience points...