Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 59

Author Topic: Arcanum Octet RTD [Game Over]  (Read 74371 times)

RandomNumberGenerator

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope.
    • View Profile
Arcanum Octet RTD [Game Over]
« on: September 15, 2009, 03:15:54 pm »

Well, having been unable to join an RTD (usually posting a few seconds after all the slots have been filled) I decided to make my own. The setting is your typical high-fantasy world with dwarves, elves, humans and orcs, as well as swords, spears, and magic. Since it's my first RTD I will probably only take 5 players, as I don't think I can keep track of any more. Now, onto the official stuff:

1) Rolls:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

2) Magic and Skills:

3) Gods:

4) Goals:

5) Effects:

6) Stats: Each character can have the following:
-----------------
Setting: You stand outside an inn on the east side of the town of Schalade, a city of skilled artisans and scholars. There are no poor beggars here, everyone in the city is skilled to some extent. Your reasons for coming here are your own, but here you stand, ready to chance your life. To the northwest lies the great Academy of Schalade, renown for the scholars that study there. To the west is a grand bazaar were traveling merchants and shopkeepers hawk their wares. The Temple of Aisen, goddess of knowlege, lies in the center of the marketplace. The guardhouse and the city gates lie to the south. You see mountains to the north; they are the only thing that sticks above the high city walls.
-----------------
Making a character(currently accepting a maximum of 5):

Name:
Race/Gender:
Profession:
Background:
Skills/Traits:
Inventory:
Other:

These will all be used to determine your stats and your dice rolls. You can choose to specialize in a school of magic, but if that doesn't exist, you basically wasted your stating bonus. You can always specialize in something like carpentry and get nice physical stats, or become a student and get good learning abilities.

If you see anything I forgot or need to work on, let me know. As I said, this is my first RTD, both playing and GMing.

Magic Schools Discovered:

Elementalism
Knowledge of the fundamental elements of the world; Fire, Water, Wind, Ice, Earth and Lightning. Can be used for a multitude of applications.

Healing
The ability to repair wounds and dispel minor curses and afflictions.

Alchemy
While you can't turn lead into gold, you can turn everyday herbs and reagents into useful potions, which is almost as good.

Runecrafting
Inscribing runes on slates and parchment to give them latent effects that can be activated later. Enhances existing items.

Magical Theory/Metamagic
The study of how magic works in the world.It has no actual spells several obscure spells that don't fit anywhere else, but a good knowledge of Magic Theory can increase the effectiveness of all your spells.

Summoning
Summon extra-planar creatures to do your bidding.

Necromancy
A forbidden magic entailing the binding of souls to objects. Normally these objects take the form of corpses, but skilled necromancers can bind souls to other objects...

Demonology
It takes a foul or perhaps desperate man to bind his own soul in exchange for power. It takes a truly evil one to steal other's souls and use them for the same purpose. Where Necromancy binds souls to object unwillingly, Demonology actually consumes those souls as reagents to pull off complicated rituals that grant immense power.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2010, 05:20:22 pm by RandomNumberGenerator »
The end of the world is more fun then I expected.

kilakan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Arcanum Octet RTD
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2009, 03:35:15 pm »

Name:Di'ako
Race/Gender:Human, male
Profession:Traveling-sword for hire
Background:Having traveled for a huge part of his life Di'ako has learned the ways of the world.  He is morally gray and can be swayed to good or evil through gold.  His late father left him his spell-book, though Di'ako hasn't had the time to try and learn anything yet.
Skills/Traits:Well-learned, survivalist, on-the-go medic
Inventory:Well-used 2h sword, traveler's clothes, beginner's elemental spell book, basic survival kit (like bandages, basic anesthetic herbs and a bit of emergency food)
Other:Hire-able
« Last Edit: September 15, 2009, 04:12:02 pm by kilakan »
Nom nom nom

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2009, 03:40:57 pm »

This looks like fun, I want in.

Name: Nirur Torir
Race/Gender: Human/Male
Profession: Scribe
Background: Nirur was the third son in a middle-class family. His father was a deckhand for a merchant (lost at sea when he was 8 ), and his mother was a tailor (killed by a mugger when he was 5). Nirur's two older brothers inherited what little their parents left them, and Nirur was sent to be raised in a monastery. He resented his time among them, but received a good general education. On his 18th birthday, he left to make his own way in life rather then take monastic vows.
Skills/Traits: Fast learner, charitable, literate.
Inventory: Simple clothes, rations, wooden club, small pouch of money.
Other: Naive.

zchris13

• Bay Watcher
  • YOU SPIN ME RIGHT ROUND~
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2009, 03:44:30 pm »

Name: Z. Chris
Race/Gender: Dwarf/Male
Profession: AxeDwarf
Background: A humble Axedwarf from the fortress of LoweredPants, Z. Christ has had terrible luck.  Exiled from his homeland for stealing, he picked up some booze, immediately after another dwarf, on the other side of the fortress, chose it.  Ouch, adventurer blues.
Skills:  Axe User, wrestler, armor user.  Novice herbalist, survival stuff.
Traits: Stubborn, kind, hardy. Typical dwarf stuff.
Inventory:  Steel Axe, travel clothes, rations, backpack, water-skin. fairy.
Other:  Hardened, handy travel fairy.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2009, 04:00:59 pm by zchris13 »
this sigtext was furiously out-of-date and has been jettisoned

RandomNumberGenerator

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2009, 03:55:48 pm »

Name:Di'ako
Race/Gender:Human, male
Profession:Spell-sword for hire
Background:Having traveled for a huge part of his life Di'ako has learned the ways of the world.  He is morally gray and can be swayed to good or evil through gold.
Skills/Traits:??? You weren't specific on if we could pick or not.
Inventory:yet again, can we choose?
Other:huh?

I'd like questions answered, for instance can we really pick what's in our own inventory, for instance could I choose, Silver-tipped steel katana, full suit of chain armor, hooded-robe, spiked leather boots, and a elemental spell-book.
and what's other, is that like other items, like tools and gold?
and do we pick traits and skills or do we start off the same?

As far as skills go, I didn't mean specific skills, rather general things relating to your character. What Nirur Torir did is a good example.

As far as inventory goes, yes, you can pick what you want. However, it needs to fit into either your profession or into the traits you selected. For magical items or spellbooks, masterwork weapons/armor, or other powerful items, consider these to be very rare. I might allow one or two of them, as long as they are not too powerful. Remember these are starting items, are are not supposed to play a huge role on the game as a whole. No artifacts or uniques are allowed. If you have a good reason for owning the item, it will usually be allowed.

Note that if you have any spellbooks pertaining to a magic school that doesn't exist, they will serve no actual purpose and mainly be the result a scam.

Other would generally be left blank, but could be used for anything people wanted if they needed to say something about there character. "Essentric and Crazy" is one possibility. "Charming" is another.

Characters can be edited or changed up until 30 minutes after the last entry is posted. After that I will post them in the OP.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2009, 04:05:21 pm by RandomNumberGenerator »

zchris13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2009, 04:03:42 pm »

Can I have a handy travel fairy for comedic relief?

RandomNumberGenerator

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2009, 04:07:03 pm »

Can I have a handy travel fairy for comedic relief?

Not sure what you mean by this. Something like a pet? Sure.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2009, 04:24:12 pm by RandomNumberGenerator »

kilakan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2009, 04:13:51 pm »

kk, I edited it to reflect what you said.
Nom nom nom

Apostolic Nihilist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2009, 04:57:15 pm »

Name: Lawrence Godred

Race/Gender: Human, male.

Profession: Generally knowledgeable fellow

Background: Lawrence was the adopted younger brother of a wealthy family. He never truly felt as if he belonged anywhere, really. Neither home nor school provided solace for him. His personality grew more divergent from the familial ideals, and at age 15, he was disowned. He was given a small bag of gold and told to go find his place, "for it surely wasn't here,".
 For a while, he was a simple traveller. He'd head from place to place, learning what he could, here and there. Performing jobs, he did whatever he could to make a few coins. After a few years, his migratory personality waned. He settled down within a forest just outside of Schalade. He became interested in academics, but lacked the funds to put himself through proper schooling.
 Wherever he could, he picked up books. Sometimes, he would even steal. His collection grew, slowly, but surely. By the time he was 29, he had over 400 books to call his own. Most were about mechanics or medicine, but several were compilations of stories.

Skills/Traits: Bibliophile; contains theoretical knowledge about mechanics and medicine. Minor knowledge of several written languages. Exceptionally verbose speaker.

Inventory: Fancy black cloak, generic garb. "Adil Silrigoth's Guide to Human and Dwarven Anatomy," rusty iron knife.

Other: Untrusting, permanent scowl on his face. Intimidating.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2009, 05:30:54 pm by Apostolic Nihilist »

bulborbish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2009, 05:29:37 pm »

Name: Ragnok
Race/Gender: Human/Male
Profession: Philosipher
Background: Hired by the duke to answer lifes mysteries, he often finds himself locked in his room. He eventually confirmed that the meaning of life is to live. He was fired shortly after.
Skills:  Proficient Philosipher
Traits: Curious, Adventureous
Inventory:  Philosiphers robes

kilakan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2009, 05:35:13 pm »

lol we are 4 humans and a dwarf, wtf.  it's like the hobbit, except that we are 4 humans taking a dwarf on an adventure.  As opposed to 4 dwarfs taking a hobbit.
Nom nom nom

Martyr Syndrome

• Bay Watcher
  • Sincere Observer.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2009, 05:43:13 pm »

Name: Hans Bloodjaw.
Race/Gender: Orc/Male.
Profession: Berserker.
Background: Spawned within the depths of a far region, this disgusting individual grew in an environment that would enforce the theory of, "Survival of the Fittest". Adapt to kill. Kill to live. Thusly, Hans conquered an incredibly wide variety of environments and foes, his clan was reknown as ferocious killing machines, this particular Orc grew detached from emotions. Easily confused, and dimwitted to the extreme, Hans has troubles forming even the most basic of English. After growing tired of mindless pillaging, Hans broke free of the grind of typical Orc life, and went on to attempt civilized life. Despite hardships, he managed to keep his bloodlust in check by vigorous training. Now a strong brute with little regard for social relationships or intelligence, Hans only desires to find interest in life. And perhaps to bash a few skulls along the way.
Skills: Expert wrestler, proficient with two-handed blades, and dual-wielding blades.
Traits: Ferocious, Bloodlusting, Stupid.
Inventory: Black pants; Heavy, Two-Handed Sword.

Hope I'm not too late.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2009, 05:45:58 pm by Martyr Syndrome »
GENERATION 25:The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

zchris13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 15, 2009, 05:55:47 pm »

Too late.

EDIT:
This is what I meant, RandomNumberGenerator
I already knew (and observed) that one can see glowing goblin eyes in the dark when a Goblin is close but out of line-of-sight.

But right now my human adventurer is climbing a vast mountain to "visit" the elven enclave that is hidden on the other side. I was getting excited when I saw a strange yellow light moving around far away from my meager (it was night) LOS. Must be a firefly glowing in the dark, an amazing little detail, so I took a screenshot to show you.

Then I realized it would be cool to catch the bug to show you as awesome proof and started to hunt the little insect... well... as it turns out it wasn't a firefly after all.

I now try to find a suitable name for her, because she'll be my companion forever... or at least until I run out of emergency rations
« Last Edit: September 15, 2009, 06:35:12 pm by zchris13 »

RandomNumberGenerator

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 15, 2009, 07:47:15 pm »

Di' Ako
Nirur Torir
Z. Chris
Lawrence Godred
Ragnok

Everyone is currently standing outside the Inn. To the northwest lies the great Academy of Schalade. To the west is the marketplace. The Temple of Aisen lies in the center of the marketplace. The guardhouse and the city gates lie to the south. You see mountains to the north; they are the only thing that sticks above the high city walls.

For the first action, figure out something to do. Visit the academy. Go to the marketplace. Stab somebody for all I care, but be warned there are guards patrolling the city. Death is death in this game, though magic spells or items can prevent it once you obtain them.

----------

I generated 200 dice rolls for each of you. If for some reason we need more, they will be generated at a later date. All of your statistics were generated using a combination of your first seven dice rolls, with bonuses/penalties I felt were appropriate for for your profession and history. If you see something amiss in your profile, let me know and I will try to fix it. Unfortunately I just found out I have a lot of homework over the next couple days, so updates may be sporadic, but I will update. I will not abandon the game.

kilakan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 15, 2009, 07:55:24 pm »

HELL YA, I'M HOT!!! or at least the most attractive of us all, lol, I'm also the quickest, sweeeeeet.  Anyways
I'll visit the Academy of Schalade, and ask the magic professor there, if he could teach me a few spells and take a look to see if my book is actually a spell-book.
Nom nom nom
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 59