Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]

Author Topic: Flawless, perfectly safe winning strategy  (Read 11186 times)

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
Re: Flawless, perfectly safe winning strategy
« Reply #60 on: October 20, 2009, 09:22:44 pm »

The senate can force through a law if more than 2/3rds approve, I think.  Laws which get the required amount of support in the senate cannot be vetoed.  I'm not totally familiar with the American system, though.

Yeah, obviously you aren't totally familiar.  Anyone familiar with the American system would know that a president can use a "pocket veto" to bypass a senate override if a bill is passed in the closing days of a congressional session.  It should also be mentioned that presidents can use a public veto threat to get de-facto line item veto power if implicitly supported by enough senators.  This number varies based on committee assignments, passing margin and congressional cafeteria menu selection, obviously.  Finally, one needs to mention the community-chest-card veto which can be saved until used and allows the president to exit judicial committee hearings, but must be played before the president rolls the dice and finds out if he got doubles.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

Servant Corps

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: October 21, 2009, 11:39:51 am »

Note that if the President doesn't sign a bill within a time period (I think 5 days), it is automatically adopted. Congress tries to stay in session when it sends an important bill in order to prevent the President from "pocket vetoing".

Further, you need both the HoR and the Senate to override vetoes.
I have left Bay12Games to pursue a life of non-Bay12Games. If you need to talk to me, please email at me at igorhorst at gmail dot com.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: October 21, 2009, 01:29:53 pm »

I believe it's 10 days, excluding Sundays, unless IHOP is having a special on egg-free waffles.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

Servant Corps

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: December 13, 2009, 06:51:42 pm »

What happened is that, in trying to remove Commissar from sleeper_update.ccp, Johnatan S. Fox must have accidentally removed the code that allowed for the Cultural Sleepers to affect the issues. Somebody has to go in and add that code back in.

And my view is that Cultural Sleepers affect all issues. Anchormen and Radio Personalities are prohibited from affecting all other issues but LCS Popularity once AM Radio/Cable News are unpopular. (Altough they get to affect LCS Popularity twice as effectively as they could before...)

Here's the code:
Code: [Select]
         for(int i=0;i<VIEWNUM-3;i++)
         {
            libpower[i]+=power/2;
         }

Okay, um, Johnathan S. Fox, has this been fixed?
I have left Bay12Games to pursue a life of non-Bay12Games. If you need to talk to me, please email at me at igorhorst at gmail dot com.

Jonathan S. Fox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.jonathansfox.com/
« Reply #64 on: December 13, 2009, 08:55:14 pm »

No, but I've just gone over it and changed it and updated all sleepers. They won't affect all issues though; they'll affect a couple primarily cultural ones, like civil rights, gay rights, women's rights, and free speech. The only sleepers that affect all issues will be the cable news and am radio hosts, and those will have an effect inversely proportional to the popularity of their respective media.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: December 14, 2009, 11:03:09 am »

Just out of interest, roughly how many Achormen/ Radio Personalities would you need for it to be better to have the AM Radio/ Cable News issue as popular?
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]