Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Useless liaison  (Read 5060 times)

Hortun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Useless liaison
« on: September 15, 2009, 06:40:09 pm »

A while ago, an outpost liaison appeared with the regular dwarven trading caravan. The thing is, he's just wandering around outside creating annoying announcements that "a dwarf has sprung from ambush!" when the ambush was a vicious groundhog or maybe a wolf. I'm not sure why he's hellbent on killing all the wildlife and leaving messes of animal corpses everywhere, but I'd really like him to do the import agreement and leave so I'll stop getting these announces.

I'm not sure why he's behaving this way. My dwarfs aren't usually attacked by any of these creatures and my expedition leader isn't busy or trapped or anything to inhibit their meeting. The fort is constructed under a human town, however, and they sometimes do enrage the local wildlife. Could this have something to do with his erratic behavior?

Running this on vanilla DF version 40d13. I'll upload the save if you folks need

EDIT: Here's the save if seeing it would help. http://mydoom.krowzi.com/Misc/region3.rar
« Last Edit: September 15, 2009, 08:42:23 pm by Hortun »

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
Re: Useless liaison
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2009, 06:43:38 pm »

That's atypical liaison behavior, let me tell you. Maybe he was a hunter before he became the outpost liaison, and he's continuing his old profession.

I'm utterly stumped about how to solve your problem. I'm not sure it can be solved.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

Chewykittens

• Bay Watcher
  • Never befor has the letter "c" been so appetizing
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2009, 06:54:59 pm »

maybe he was attacked by a gopher or something as a child and now seeks revenge against all the animals in the world. If that's the case I suggest you lure/lock him into an arena and have him fight stuff.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2009, 06:58:30 pm »

Liaisons are created during worldgen and thus have some random skills. Perhaps your liaison was trained in Hunting and had the Ambusher enabled for some reason, thus causing him to sneak around and hunt the local wildlife.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

Hortun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2009, 08:32:55 pm »

I dug up my copy of dwarf therapist to see if I could disable this guy's ambushing tendency, but he's not showing up on the list, sadly.

I guess I'm just going to let him murder all the wildlife until he gets bored or something. He's "Extremely Strong, Perfectly Agile, Superdwarvenly Tough" though, and despite having crushed every groundhog and wolf in sight, he's still in perfect health wearing no armor and drenched in blood spatters. So I might be dismissing these announcements for quite a while.

EDIT: Praise armok, he seems to have gotten bored with his killing spree and moved finally got to the meeting.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2009, 09:11:30 pm by Hortun »

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2009, 11:19:16 pm »

Dwarf Therapist probably explicitly excludes all dwarves that aren't from your civilization - you might try Dwarf Manager or, if that doesn't work, Dwarf Companion.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.

Nidokoenig

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2009, 11:40:51 pm »

If this becomes a recurring problem and can't be fixed otherwise, you could try forming a squad to send out to help him. The fewer animals there are on the map, the less likely he'll be to go after one instead of conducting the meeting. You could even try to keep wildlife levels low with large amounts of hunting and/or spreading traps over the landscape.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2009, 03:24:21 am »

You might want to crosspost this to the bug report section of the forum, too.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Shadowex3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2009, 03:56:22 am »

Dwarf Therapist probably explicitly excludes all dwarves that aren't from your civilization - you might try Dwarf Manager or, if that doesn't work, Dwarf Companion.

Dwarf Manager only shows your dorfs last time I used it.
Quote from: Hectonkhyres
I'm imagining crazed dwarves doing profoundly weird things. Urist McNutcase has developed a compulsion to jam anything colored blue up his anus, or alternately other peoples anuses
Quote from: Durt101
Erith Zasitshovith, Cat(Tame) cancels store item in stockpile: Too injured.
"Yay! Mouse! OH GOD, WHERE ARE MY HANDS?! OH GOD OH GOD WHAT THE HE- Oh. I'm a cat. Right."

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2009, 10:27:58 am »

Back when I used dwarf manager, I would frequently see the dwarven liaison in the list when he was at my fort, as well as a captured hammer lord that had been leading a goblin squad during a siege. In any case, dwarf companion will definitely show you the liaison's skills, though it won't let you see which ones are actually enabled.