Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Labor assigning  (Read 1191 times)

DCd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Labor assigning
« on: September 15, 2009, 01:54:53 pm »

I'd like to have assigning jobs 'an stuff easier. (v - p - l) It's pretty annoying to scroll down evry dwarf's labors, if you at first have 7 dwarves who have to multitask a lot, and then later have that miner who also did masonry, carpentry, woodcutting and such, to only mine. Or if i don't remember if my architecht died or if i even had one (at newer fortresses especially) , to easily find it, without searching every dwarf.

I suggest a similar screen to weapons screen (m - w), although it might be a lot of info on a row.
Also, if you could see a rough skill level there, so you can have the near-legendary mechanic do the job instead of the peasant running around making lever connections on sssslllloooooooowwwwmmmmoooottttiiiioooonnnn.....

i thank you if you use constructive criticism on my laziness to read already made suggestions, there's loads of them.

DCd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Labor assigning
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2009, 02:47:27 pm »

Thank you for pointing out these threads, although i meant more of an easy way to choose every job for every dwarf in a single window. Also, i like the idea of being able to disable every job. That would eliminate the chance to assign many dwarves to do something which i only need one for, or have only workshop for etc.

Warlord255

• Bay Watcher
  • Master Building Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2009, 03:23:48 pm »

A labor screen of any sort would be nice. I'd like it if it showed you how many dwarves you have on each labor, and allowed you to go into a sub-menu to enable/disable them.
DF Vanilla-Spice Revised: Better balance, more !!fun!!
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=173907.msg7968772#msg7968772

LeadfootSlim on Steam, LeadfootSlim#1851 on Discord. Hit me up!

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2009, 04:59:04 pm »

It'll at least be easier to scroll through labors in the next version:

I've grouped the entire vpl list into 15 sections to make it easier to mess with (I'm aware of further changes people want there, but I can't do it all now).

Grendus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2009, 08:37:41 am »

Toady should implement a Dwarf Manager or Dwarf Therapist type of interface. The interfaces are standard, so long as he writes the code himself (or gets the coders legal permission to use their code) there should be no legal issues. I know I for one couldn't build a fortress without some way to keep my dwarves organized. It's just not possible unless you triple the (already massive) overhead.
A quick guide to surviving your first few days in CataclysmDDA:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=121194.msg4796325;topicseen#msg4796325