Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: World-generator oddity  (Read 1063 times)

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
World-generator oddity
« on: September 16, 2009, 05:04:53 pm »

I made a little grid here to determine what ranges for drainage and moisture produce what subclimates. Here's what I got:

The left side is 0 rainfall, the right side is 100 rainfall, the top is 0 drainage, the bottom is 100 drain.

As you can see, by far the most common terrain is hills. If the parameters for plains and other rare terrain types where more balanced, I suspect that you'd get far less rejects and thus faster worldgen.

But really that's just been bothering me for a while.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

lucusLoC

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: World-generator oddity
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2009, 07:18:14 pm »

are you sure it is unballanced? how often do the different combinations actualy occure, especialy if you set worldgen to use rain shadow? i think the main problem is that civs will not settle outside their "proper" biome (unless conquioing a site). i think cives should be able to settle in an improper biome if the need to, and that should fix a lot of the "x civ died out becaue their was only 1 region with the proper biome" problem.
Quantum dumps are proof of "memory" being a perfectly normal dimension in DF. ~Gazz

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2009, 07:23:32 pm »

Rejects aren't that much of a problem since you can just turn off or lessen all the reject parameters.
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

Fossaman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2009, 08:19:26 pm »

So where does Broadleaf Forest show up? Is that restricted to lower temperatures than you use here?
Quote from: ThreeToe
This story had a slide down a chute. Everybody likes chutes.

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2009, 08:26:11 pm »

If I remember my Worldgen Painter 101, forest types are the only biomes that depend on temperature (not counting glaciers, tundra, and taiga, which don't show up in the painter). So yeah, it's restricted to higher temperatures (can't remember what, probably on the wiki somewhere) than PTTG appears to have used.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2009, 08:32:22 pm by Untelligent »
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.