Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: The Assassination of Zecalo Bronzeflower: A Threetoe Story  (Read 26387 times)

ThreeToe

• The Natural
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
Re: The Assassination of Zecalo Bronzeflower: A Threetoe Story
« Reply #15 on: September 17, 2009, 02:14:03 am »

Thanks everyone for reading my story.  I tried to give it my best effort.  I’ve had a lot of practice writing story rewards for the Bay 12 champions and it’s all a lot of fun.  As far as dwarven use of poison goes:  I think it has to pass the ‘badass test.’  I don’t imagine a dwarf sneaking up from behind and stabbing their enemy in the back with a poison knife, but dumping a caustic liquid down the fortress wall on a host of attackers, that works.  What do you think?
Show your true champion nature:  support Bay 12 games!

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 17, 2009, 02:41:01 am »

I think if it hurts, is brutal and is in some cases inefficient, it's dwarven to a T.

ThreeToe

• The Natural
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 17, 2009, 03:40:04 am »

Actually what I was going for in this story was a way to flesh out characters even when they are part of an epic struggle.  I’m talking about spies and generals and other chess pieces you could move around a DF chessboard.  There would have to be threats, bribes, and blackmail.  I’m sure I missed some stuff.

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 17, 2009, 03:46:58 am »

That sounds pretty intriguing.

ThreeToe

• The Natural
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 17, 2009, 04:59:14 am »

ok, that's pretty funny.   :)

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 17, 2009, 05:00:27 am »

*facepalm*

Once again, I make a hilarious joke I didn't mean to make in the first place. Why am I only funny when every one is listening but me?

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 17, 2009, 11:17:46 am »

*facepalm*

Once again, I make a hilarious joke I didn't mean to make in the first place. Why am I only funny when every one is listening but me?

You're too self conscious?
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Vicomt

• Bay Watcher
  • Just call me Vic.
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 17, 2009, 02:00:40 pm »

I think the posion thing fits quite nicely with other similar ethic traits, I can see an [ETHIC:USE_POISON:ENEMY_ONLY_AT_MAX_PRIORITY] being part of a culture's makeup, we see it all the time IRL on an even lower urgency scale sometimes.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 17, 2009, 02:13:39 pm »

We need a new ethic ending.

ONLY_IF_AWESOME.  You know, the one that will generally apply to dwarves :P.  And yes, hurling unreliable and extremely dangerous devices full of poison at enemies is pretty dwarven.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 17, 2009, 02:57:45 pm »

I think the posion thing fits quite nicely with other similar ethic traits, I can see an [ETHIC:USE_POISON:ENEMY_ONLY_AT_MAX_PRIORITY] being part of a culture's makeup, we see it all the time IRL on an even lower urgency scale sometimes.

I'm pretty sure the current ethics are a placeholder anyway.  There's definitely a need for a system that allows societies to balance one ethical concern against another in ambiguous situations.  Maybe each culture could have overall moral priorities (such as peace, honor, conquest, dignity, infliction of suffering, etc.) and its own ideas concerning how much the "action categories" from the current ethics (such as torture, lying, etc.) support or subvert those priorities.

Once you have people making these kinds of judgments ("dishonorable, but necessary to salvage the dignity of our people" and so on), you can factor personalities into how they think about the "expected value" of a hoped-for outcome, what kinds of odds they'll risk, how much they care about societal morality vs. their own (or their own self-interest), how quickly they decide, etc.

Dakk

• Bay Watcher
  • BLARAGLGLGL!
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 17, 2009, 03:36:58 pm »

Culture and ethics need to exist before we can pervert them, so i'm all for what footketchief said. :)
Code: [Select]
    ︠     ︡
 ノ          ﺍ
ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)  ┻━┻

Table flipping, singed style.

Balathustrius

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_SLEEP]
    • View Profile
    • In which I post pictures
« Reply #26 on: September 21, 2009, 12:43:39 pm »

Another great story.  I love these so much.   :D
You have struck Microcline!

Daywalkah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 23, 2009, 08:03:43 pm »

This story=awesomeness. I can't wait until the Army Arc is done so I can invade an enemy using a bunch of poison! Then I will control all water sources on the planet so all my enemies die of thirst! I look forward to your next story.
Magma cancels flow; interrupted by Ironblood.

Judas Maccabeus

• Bay Watcher
  • [BIRD_BRAIN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 28, 2009, 04:52:14 pm »

Always good to see a new story up.  And this one doesn't disappoint.  :D
I'm talking about the bronze colossus. It's supposed to be made entirely of bronze.
But really he's just a softie inside. They all are really. When megabeasts come to your fort you never welcome them inside and give them a hug, do you. You heartless bastards...

Grendus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 17, 2009, 05:35:36 pm »

Thanks everyone for reading my story.  I tried to give it my best effort.  I’ve had a lot of practice writing story rewards for the Bay 12 champions and it’s all a lot of fun.  As far as dwarven use of poison goes:  I think it has to pass the ‘badass test.’  I don’t imagine a dwarf sneaking up from behind and stabbing their enemy in the back with a poison knife, but dumping a caustic liquid down the fortress wall on a host of attackers, that works.  What do you think?

Honestly, natural poisons strike me as elvish, chemical poisons (such as refining mercury or lead toxins, or even just improving on wild animals venom) strikes me as the human version. Dwarves dump magma on their enemies. Though I must admit, I really wish I could load my catapults with wooden booze barrels, light them on fire, and launch flaming booze at my enemies. It would make the Russian Mafia look like amateurs. This is new territory for the community though, the odds of goblins actually conquering a fortress are a single, very round, digit. Dwarves are more likely to kill themselves in a stupid accident than die in war.

However, I agree, this actually opens up another issue entirely - doing unethical things to survive. Would the elves burn a forest if it was the only way to stop a goblin army from destroying their entire civilization? Would the dwarves resort to brutal measures  (read [ETHIC:TORTURE_AS_EXAMPLE:UNTHINKABLE]) to end a potentially deadly uprising? We already see several breaks of dwarf ethics, such as a traitor (oath breaking and treason are both capital crimes) and killing another dwarf. They lied to the elves to get them to carry out the assination. This may be something Toady has to flesh out in the end, some civilizations may decide to do what is necessary while others choose to die out before submitting their values.

The glass orbs remind me a lot of the bottles of acid the humans used in "Dwarven Assault". Since the dwarves were living in exile with the humans in this story, you might actually consider that the dwarves were using a human weapon in the assassination, or at least one inspired by human weapons, which gives rise to another question - cultural contamination. Humans probably wouldn't think twice about using chemical weapons, but it seems the consensus is that dwarves would. So would being forced to live with the humans effect a civilizations ethics at all? If the elves were forced to hide in a dwarf fortress, would they stop being so shocked at seeing trees cut down?

Another thing I noticed that nobody commented on was how Bronzeflower's opponent in the arena had already been poisoned, and how the gladiator was actually an assassin. Killing as an example of power has not, I don't believe, been explored before (though it's not uncommon in fantasy settings, see Dune). Having the ruler or general prove his skill in the arena should be considered, especially in adventure mode where you might have to prove your skill before you're given a quest. At the same time, assassination can take many forms. Bronzeflower knew the boy was trying to kill him, but the boy tricked him and would have killed him if he hadn't been wearing armor. Tricking an opponent, cheap tactics like low blows, throwing sand, feints, trying to lull them into a false sense of security/superiority should be valid tactics.

As always, an awesome story Threetoe.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2009, 05:51:09 pm by Grendus »
A quick guide to surviving your first few days in CataclysmDDA:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=121194.msg4796325;topicseen#msg4796325
Pages: 1 [2] 3