Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Choose for Charity  (Read 2277 times)

GameBoyBlue

• Bay Watcher
  • Turn to face the strange
    • View Profile
Choose for Charity
« on: January 16, 2016, 03:22:08 am »

Hey I had an idea for a way for writers on Bay 12 to raise money for charity. My target is charity water. So here is how we do it.

We will cocreate an [choose your path] ebook. We will vote on the most popular paths for each segment of the story, and the most popular 2 will become paths, and we will vote on passages in the story.

Sound fun?

here is my submission for the first panel of the story
And so there I was, between the cliff and the phenix. It's glorious flames mesmerized my eyes. I rubbed them and turned back to see as my foot knocked some rocks off into the ravine. The bird raised Its head and screeched, demanding my attention be brought back to it. I had found the nest, and I was totally unprepared for it.

Remember, to make this manageable, some paths will need to be dead ends or interweave into other paths. The goal will be to have 20 endings. Each passage should be easy to read like a children's book, mainly to keep this project scope in check.

Option 1:
Grab an egg from the nest

Option 2:
Run away

Option 3:
Stand perfectly still

Option 4:
Create your own path(s).

Option 5:
Create a new beginning for the story.

Voting: hurt/heal
  • Once a calendar day you can "hurt" or "heal" an option. Hurt takes away 2 points, heal gives 1.
  • If an option gets to 0 Its removed.
  • New options start with 7 points. (changed from 10)
  • NO voting on a day you added a new option. NO spending points for days you missed. You CAN add more than one new option in a day.
  • Once only 2 remain we move on. Here is the start(next person copy and edit this list, then the next theirs and so on):

1) 10
2) 10
3) 10
« Last Edit: January 24, 2016, 03:02:44 am by GameBoyBlue »

GameBoyBlue

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Write for Charity
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2016, 03:25:10 am »

This should serve as an interesting way to learn more about publishing an Ebook. Someday I'd like to make some for myself, what a cool way to make a side income. As for this project anything not given to hosting fees, anything "take home" will go to the mentioned charity. I plan to outline the progress of publishing when we wrap up, so that should be quite a bit of fun.

StrawBarrel

• Bay Watcher
  • I do not use social media regularly.
    • View Profile
Re: Choose for Charity
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2016, 05:50:44 pm »

And so there I was, between the cliff and the pheonix. It's glorious flames mesmerized my eyes. I rubbed them and turned back to see as my foot knocked some rocks off the raveen as the bird raised its' head and screeched, demanding my attention brought back to it. I had found the nest, and I was totally unprepared for it.
Do you mean ravine?
"Its" is the possessive form of it. "It's" is the contraction of it is.

Voting for option 2 and 3. I might try to write a passage, but I'm not sure if I have the time right now.
Max avatar size is 80x80

Araph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2016, 03:35:12 am »

And so there I was, between the cliff and the pheonix. It's glorious flames mesmerized my eyes. I rubbed them and turned back to see as my foot knocked some rocks off the raveen as the bird raised its' head and screeched, demanding my attention brought back to it. I had found the nest, and I was totally unprepared for it.
Do you mean ravine?
Phoenix, not pheonix.
'As' has been used twice in the same sentence.
The ravine is the actual indentation into the ground. Did you mean 'into'?
You could phrase this as either "demanding my attention be brought back to it" or "demanding my attention back", but it's grammatically incorrect at the moment.

I second StrawBarrel's votes for options two and three.

GameBoyBlue

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2016, 01:22:18 am »

Do you mean ravine?
Phoenix, not pheonix.
'As' has been used twice in the same sentence.
The ravine is the actual indentation into the ground. Did you mean 'into'?
You could phrase this as either "demanding my attention be brought back to it" or "demanding my attention back", but it's grammatically incorrect at the moment.

I second StrawBarrel's votes for options two and three.

Cool, considering the goal is to publish this as a collaboration, I welcome the grammar help. I know this area of the forums is really supportive for writers.

I'll go with phenix. Its another common spelling and doesnt break my brain like phoenix.

I've decided on a hurt/heal voting system, see op for details. Thanks again guys!
« Last Edit: January 20, 2016, 01:33:37 am by GameBoyBlue »

GameBoyBlue

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2016, 09:41:14 am »

So based on your choices that's 2 hurts for option 1. I will then heal option 3.

1) 6
2) 10
3) 11 heal

StrawBarrel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2016, 08:14:30 pm »

Hurting option 1.

1) 4
2) 10
3) 11
Max avatar size is 80x80

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
  • if you must die, die spectacularly
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2016, 08:46:41 pm »

Healing option 3. That may go places. Like this thread!
1) 4
2) 10
3) 12

GameBoyBlue

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2016, 02:59:33 am »

1) 2 hurt
2) 10
3) 12

From now on I'll change it from 10 starting to 7.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2016, 03:01:58 am by GameBoyBlue »

StrawBarrel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2016, 12:08:00 pm »

1) 0 hurt
2) 10
3) 12
Max avatar size is 80x80

GameBoyBlue

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2016, 01:43:55 am »

1) 0 hurt
2) 10
3) 12

We'll start with the most popular option. I will also add a rule that options that continue a path start with fewer points, to encourage ending them. And endings start with more, I'll update the rules as needed with each round.

Here was our top pick:
Stand perfectly still

Here is my submission for a follow up, remember you can offer your own
You stand motionless, the bird approaches. The heat from Its body intensifies with each step. It's beginning to be too much to handle.

Option 1
Stay still again

Option 2
Shout at the bird to stop

Option 3
Run away

Or add your own option

Or make a different passage for this selection.

Voting: hurt/heal
  • Once a calendar day you can "hurt" or "heal" an option. Hurt takes away 2 points, heal gives 1.
  • If an option gets to 0 Its removed.
  • New options start with 7 points. New passages that end the story start with 10.
  • NO voting on a day you added a new option. NO spending points for days you missed. You CAN add more than one new option in a day.
  • Once only 2 remain we move on. Here is the start(next person copy and edit this list, then the next theirs and so on):

1) 7
2) 7
3) 7
« Last Edit: January 25, 2016, 01:45:45 am by GameBoyBlue »

StrawBarrel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2016, 01:31:57 pm »

1) 7
2) 7
3) 8 heal
Max avatar size is 80x80

GameBoyBlue

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2016, 09:12:23 pm »

New rule: No healing(but you can hurt them) of your own options you made. It's already assumed you like them if you made them and the intention is for a community driven project.

1) 7
2) 7
3) 6 hurt