Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 296

Author Topic: +The Engravers Guild+  (Read 362605 times)

jarathor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: +The Engravers Guild+
« Reply #15 on: September 18, 2009, 09:07:09 pm »

This sounds like a great idea - I'll try to get something up later this weekend.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 19, 2009, 10:20:59 am »

Great idea! I somehow missed it at first.

Anyway, here I am. I have no art education at all, I've never been to any art school or anything, so I lack skills and experience on a major scale. However I have a great desire to draaaaw. Daaaw!

I've never tried to "paint" on PC at all, I mostly colored my pencil lineart, that's all.

So here goes my first attempt at speedpainting (took 30 min... Speed... lol):
"Into the cave"

P.S. Hey Davion, Thanks! I am going to look in these books.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2009, 02:47:56 am by Deon »
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Balathustrius

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_SLEEP]
    • View Profile
    • In which I post pictures
« Reply #17 on: September 19, 2009, 11:31:50 am »

This is a good idea; I would like to participate.   :)

That's a good painting, Deon.  I have a few suggestions and critiques, and have done a quick paintover to demonstrate.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: September 19, 2009, 11:37:02 am by Balathustrius »
You have struck Microcline!

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 19, 2009, 12:26:46 pm »

Okay, so I decided I'd start with something simple, just a Minerdwarf standing in a pose.  However, it's going to Hell in a big hurry.  I'll probably just get out one of my old anatomy books for a figure study, I thought I post the halfway picture here as an example of what I'm doing.  I'm trying to practice my technique and any help there would be appreciated too.

And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Blood
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 19, 2009, 01:06:26 pm »

Wow, that cave is awesome.

I've tried using other stuff like Paintshop and Illustrator and GIMP, but I've scoured all of their interfaces and I can't find any kind of "alterable line tool" or "don't anti-alias everything" or "edit individual pixels".  An alterable-vector system like Adobe Illustrator but with sane, comprehensive editing like Paint would be great if anyone knows of such a program.
I routinely do all of those in GIMP, I think you just need to read the manual and/or practice with it and/or look more closely at/in the various menus and toolbars etc.
- for non-antialias, use the pencil tool.
- for editing individual pixels, also use the pencil tool, with the size turned down to be LESS than one pixel, and zoom in properly.
- alterable lines is the "paths" tool, then when you use "stroke path", under "Line style" you can turn of antialiasing.

Also, learn to use layers, they are what 99% of peaple use for the type of alterable sketch type things you seem to want.
So says Armok, God of blood.
Sszsszssoo...
Sszsszssaaayysss...
III...

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 19, 2009, 01:33:45 pm »

I routinely do all of those in GIMP, I think you just need to read the manual and/or practice with it and/or look more closely at/in the various menus and toolbars etc.
- for non-antialias, use the pencil tool.
- for editing individual pixels, also use the pencil tool, with the size turned down to be LESS than one pixel, and zoom in properly.
- alterable lines is the "paths" tool, then when you use "stroke path", under "Line style" you can turn of antialiasing.

Also, learn to use layers, they are what 99% of peaple use for the type of alterable sketch type things you seem to want.

Manual?  Who needs prewritten instructions?  I'd rather just poke around blindly until I ragequit in frustration.

In all seriousness though, I use MSPaint because that's the level of complexity I'm willing to deal with.  It can't do much, but it does exactly what I tell it to with just a couple clicks.  I'm trying to use GIMP's path tool now (I admit I had no idea what it was for), and it is sure as hell isn't doing what I want.  Namely, I can't seem to add new points in the middle of paths, connect two paths that weren't originally connected, delete points once I've placed them, or for that matter delete anything because pressing the delete key just wipes destroys the blank layer because no matter how many times I hit "select nothing" the layer is always selected anyway.

And if you have anything to offer on this, you'll run into my other problem, that I hate manuals because I can't ask them questions, but I'm also a total bitch to work with live.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 19, 2009, 03:30:50 pm »

Balathustrius, my friend!!! Thank you very much for dedicating your time!

I have big problems with placing lighter/darker colors together to indicate shadows and lights on a big scale, also it's a bit hard to make parts of a piece to be interesting (like you did with those stalagmites and stalactites). Also, a good tip on the foreground! The painted over picture is much better!

This is what I need, more critics to learn. And critics from a talented person like you are priceless.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Hungry

• Bay Watcher
  • Former controller of Zombie Fenrir
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 19, 2009, 03:42:13 pm »

A draft I'm working on, dont know quite what it is...yet.

Breccia isnt in DF, like garden slugs.
Cheese for the Cheese boat!

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 19, 2009, 03:48:15 pm »

I take that is the first of a line of phallic objects you're drawing?

qwertyuiopas

• Bay Watcher
  • Photoshop is for elves who cannot use MSPaint.
    • View Profile
    • uristqwerty.ca, my current (barren) site.
« Reply #24 on: September 19, 2009, 03:50:01 pm »

Aqizzar, since you are using paint, did you notice the ability to multiply pixel size through zoom and screenshot? The result is true non-antialiased scaling for powers of two(and 6)
Eh?
Eh!

redacted123

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
-
« Reply #25 on: September 19, 2009, 04:00:59 pm »

-
« Last Edit: May 28, 2016, 07:23:17 am by Stany »

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 19, 2009, 04:25:05 pm »

I already know what it is, it's that magnetised fluid stuff. Iron filings in water or something. Then you magnetise a drill or something and is flies up into this weird spiky mass.
Ferro Fluids?
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
And this is how tinned food was invented.
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

redacted123

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
-
« Reply #27 on: September 19, 2009, 04:30:03 pm »

-
« Last Edit: May 28, 2016, 07:23:03 am by Stany »

Hungry

• Bay Watcher
  • Former controller of Zombie Fenrir
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 19, 2009, 04:38:32 pm »

I enjoy that stuff....

Breccia isnt in DF, like garden slugs.
Cheese for the Cheese boat!

Spreggo

• Bay Watcher
  • A vile force of darkness has arrived!
    • View Profile
    • skullsprout games
« Reply #29 on: September 19, 2009, 05:45:24 pm »

I have big problems with placing lighter/darker colors together to indicate shadows and lights on a big scale, also it's a bit hard to make parts of a piece to be interesting (like you did with those stalagmites and stalactites). Also, a good tip on the foreground! The painted over picture is much better!

A good way to get a full tonal range is to do the whole image in black and white, then add color after words, using a multiply layer in PS, then redo the specular highlights on a new layer. The benefit of using a multiply layer is that you can use the colors to touch up the shading and add texture et cetera...

Aqizzar: You should put some clothing and some basic shading on that figure before you decide its bad. Once you have the shading to indicate the depth and shape of various parts, you can push them around a bit until they fit. That stuff never looks right to me without shading.

Also I don't think you should feel pressured to switch what program you are using: if you can get it to come out well with mspaint, then you can get it to come out well with anything. You could always move on once you start feeling like its limiting you, anyway.

Hungry:
Wow that's a big image...

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 296