Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 296

Author Topic: +The Engravers Guild+  (Read 361541 times)

Spreggo

• Bay Watcher
  • A vile force of darkness has arrived!
    • View Profile
    • skullsprout games
Re: +The Engravers Guild+
« Reply #30 on: September 19, 2009, 07:41:01 pm »

Okay, best idea ever:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Vester

• Bay Watcher
  • [T_WORD:AWE-INSPIRING:bloonk]
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 19, 2009, 11:28:16 pm »

That's hilarious. Also a little terrifying.

It seems useful though.
"Land of song," said the warrior bard, "though all the world betray thee - one sword at least thy rights shall guard; one faithful harp shall praise thee."

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 20, 2009, 02:44:33 am »

A good way to get a full tonal range is to do the whole image in black and white, then add color after words, using a multiply layer in PS, then redo the specular highlights on a new layer. The benefit of using a multiply layer is that you can use the colors to touch up the shading and add texture et cetera...

Ah, multiply, layers... :). Yeah it's much easier for me when I separate highlights, color and depth tonal layers in photoshop. However I tried to make my first one "by hand", to understand how it's done and what can be done without layers. I agree that I need a lot of practice first to make it worthy, however I am a bit afraid to jump ahead to layers, because it can make me lazy so I won't ever learn to draw "by hand" and to pick vivid colors right on a canvas.

But it may be a good start to try black and white. Thanks. You, guys, are great helpers (Spreggo, Balathustrius).
« Last Edit: September 20, 2009, 02:46:12 am by Deon »
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
  • AKA Aira; Legendary Female Gamer
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #33 on: September 20, 2009, 03:03:12 am »

Does anyone know of a way to home-make a stylus for my laptop's touchpad that actually works?  I tried using a battery and wrapping foil around a pencil, but it never really worked.  It would move some of the time, and I'd end up drawing things that looked like I drew them with my USB mouse anyway.  I'm dying to just draw things straight into the computer, especially since I don't own a scanner and the only copyshop in Prague that speaks English and scans charges me astronomical fees every time I use it, and is also 20 minutes away.

Noctriate

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 20, 2009, 03:39:11 am »

First time poster. Nothing special. Just a dwarf picking some fruit from a bush, I'm relatively new to the game and I thought this was pretty eventful.

Mainly trying out continuous line drawing.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 20, 2009, 04:10:57 am »

I tried to use your tips to create some kind of foreground and add more details to a bland wall. Here's the result:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Someone requested it as a background so I resized it to 1024x768 (original file is 3000x1500).  I hope this one looks better.

P.S. Noctriate: Cool dwarf :). Keep up the work. It looks like your dwarves are going to have a special character. I enjoy the different ways of people to draw things very much :).
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬

Balathustrius

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_SLEEP]
    • View Profile
    • In which I post pictures
« Reply #36 on: September 20, 2009, 10:35:53 am »

That is a good idea; and great photo-manipulation.  Is that the liquefy tool?

With the paintings, you might try altering your brush settings a little for easier value transitions; it looks like you've got your opacity set to like 80% and size dynamics set to pen pressure, and the values aren't really blending together.  Maybe try setting the opacity to 100%, but turning on opacity jitter and flow jitter and setting them both to pen pressure.  Much more like a real paint-brush.  (opacity and flow settings are under 'other dynamics' in the brush window, which is F5 by default in ps, I think)

Just an idea.  The drawings are good, but I've always found it nearly impossible to render with the brush settings like yours.

I tried to use your tips to create some kind of foreground and add more details to a bland wall. Here's the result:

Nice work.  Only suggestion I could offer is, don't be afraid to cut into your picture-plane with big shapes.  In your painting, the only big shape is the cave mouth; so the eye goes right to that and then there's nothing else to move it around.

I like your painting style, though; it reminds me of Khang Le's work.  Check his site out, if you're not familiar with him; he's a fantastic environment painter:  http://www.khangle.net/

I keep meaning to draw some dwarves or something so I have something to post in here.  Hmm.
You have struck Microcline!

Balathustrius

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_SLEEP]
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 20, 2009, 10:57:15 am »

Here's a sketch I'm working on.  Needs a lot of work, so maybe it's fitting to post it here!  Critiques very welcome.

It's supposed to be a glowing pit, with veins of adamantium in the rock and hideous carvings on the walls (namely that big slab on the right; haven't drawn them yet, but it should be fun, heh.)

Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Blood
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 20, 2009, 11:09:33 am »

That idea with photos is actually good!

I'm itching to try that "grayscale-then-multipylayer", but I cant find a GIMP option for that. Presumably there is some plugin somewhere that I need and I've not been able to figure out how to get those to work. :'(

Ninjaedit: That looks awesome, I asume you'll add a lot of contrast and the actual eerie glow later?
So says Armok, God of blood.
Sszsszssoo...
Sszsszssaaayysss...
III...

Balathustrius

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_SLEEP]
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 20, 2009, 11:24:26 am »

That idea with photos is actually good!

I'm itching to try that "grayscale-then-multipylayer", but I cant find a GIMP option for that. Presumably there is some plugin somewhere that I need and I've not been able to figure out how to get those to work. :'(

Ninjaedit: That looks awesome, I asume you'll add a lot of contrast and the actual eerie glow later?

Thanks!  Yeah, it needs a lot of work. 

A caveat about multiply layers; they make everything darker.  They're really great for glazing effects, but for coloring greyscale drawings, they're a little tricky.  I like to combine them with color-dodge layers; glaze over with a multiply layer, then light things back up with the color-dodge layer.  It takes a few passes, though.  Best idea is to try out all the different layer styles available; a lot of them work well for colorizing greyscale paintings.

Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Blood
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 20, 2009, 11:48:46 am »

Thats a later concern, considering I can't make any of those layer types...
So says Armok, God of blood.
Sszsszssoo...
Sszsszssaaayysss...
III...

Virex

• Bay Watcher
  • Subjects interest attracted. Annalyses pending...
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 20, 2009, 12:52:43 pm »

You can set most layer's behaviour from the layers menu, but I assume you've looked there already?

Chromie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 20, 2009, 01:32:28 pm »

Ooh this is great, I'll contribute when I get my hands on my tablet again...

And for those trying out Gimp, look up GimpShop -- it's a mod that does nothing besides rearrange Gimp's pretty-terrible interface to be a lot more like Photoshop, which is helpful if you're familiar with Photoshop (and IMHO finding things is a lot more intuitive)

Siquo

• Bay Watcher
  • Procedurally generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 20, 2009, 01:37:21 pm »

Followed for its awesomeness.

This one thread is mine. MIIIIINE!!! And it will remain a happy, friendly, encouraging place, whether you lot like it or not. 
will rena,eme sique to sique sxds-- siquo if sucessufil
(cant spel siqou a. every speling looks wroing (hate this))

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: September 20, 2009, 05:49:44 pm »

I need your help :D.

I want to draw a town scene in the night, so I am here to get advices and tips from the greater mentors.

Here's a quick sketch:
http://i34.tinypic.com/2hgec9f.png

At first, I am not sure about perspective. Probably I've picked a wrong angle. Please correct my possible perspective errors.

Also, character placement. Are their sizes fine comparing to the distance/perspective?

A third thing, what about "foreground"? I may draw a critter on the left, like that cat, but the bottom-right corner seems to be empty. Maybe I should make an edge of a fountain or a sewers hatch there?

Let alone the future problems with multiple light sources, help me to decide object placement first, please :). I want to learn and I hope you can help me. I really appreciate all your tips and advices ;D.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 296