Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 36 37 [38] 39 40 ... 296

Author Topic: +The Engravers Guild+  (Read 362906 times)

Spreggo

• Bay Watcher
  • A vile force of darkness has arrived!
    • View Profile
    • skullsprout games
Re: +The Engravers Guild+
« Reply #555 on: January 07, 2010, 12:46:22 pm »

azazel: Thanks for the links, added. :>

mendonca

• Bay Watcher
  • [CLIVE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #556 on: January 07, 2010, 04:24:36 pm »

Keeping up with my daily posting ... I am now trying out a bit more careful painting of my previous dogman sketch.

I am quite liking the way it is starting to turn out. Not sure if I am handling the fur well or not.

Happy to receive criticism.

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #557 on: January 07, 2010, 06:27:49 pm »

At first I read that as "dogma sketch."  Have to wonder what that'd look like.  But that looks pretty good so far to me, for the most part  Looks like there are a few little gaps of white in the armpits, but they're kinda small.

And don't worry, that tip made perfect sense.  Thanks for it.
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
And this is how tinned food was invented.
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

azazel

• Bay Watcher
  • Department of Redundancy Department
    • View Profile
« Reply #558 on: January 07, 2010, 11:52:25 pm »

Looks like there are a few little gaps of white in the armpits, but they're kinda small.
Gonna touch on this for a little bit - inverting the colours will bring out any missed spots a great deal better (although it works better with black/white) than trying to spot missed areas by eye. Just a quick thing that makes life so much easier - usually more useful at touch-up stages though.
マグマキッド

mendonca

• Bay Watcher
  • [CLIVE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #559 on: January 08, 2010, 04:10:47 pm »

Todays post ... the dogman is advanced further.

I think I am going to leave this here, it was a valuable learning experience.

I think the picture is reasonably effective, but the dog is clearly drawn on a seperate layer to the background!

He could maybe do with sharper shadows behind him, the only feasible way he could be lit would be from a campfire, which is supposed to be the case.

Please provide critique if you see fit! Thanks Legolord and azazel for even giving me the time of day!

Hungry

• Bay Watcher
  • Former controller of Zombie Fenrir
    • View Profile
« Reply #560 on: January 09, 2010, 06:14:12 am »

Well, I've had nothing better to do so I desided to do this...

I tried to get work done on some of the creatures and people that fit with him but I just couldn't feel it, I kept getting blobs of annoyance.
Breccia isnt in DF, like garden slugs.
Cheese for the Cheese boat!

Balathustrius

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_SLEEP]
    • View Profile
    • In which I post pictures
« Reply #561 on: January 09, 2010, 07:35:23 am »

Mendonca - that looks quite good; his face is pretty horrifying (in a good way).  I didn't know DF even had dogmen (assuming it's df-related). 

I think the reason he looks separated from the background is not to do with what layer he's painted on, but the fact that all the edges of his body are hard and crisp.  Especially where fur is concerned, or smooth, rounded surfaces, or areas in shadow, it can pay to soften up the edges (smooth, rounded, furry forms in shadow would be the softest, and would almost blend into the background).

The way he's lit actually looks very good, but I think it would be improved if you really identified and payed continual attention to the color/temperature of the light source.  Right now, it looks like he's lit by a bright, yellow light, almost like sunlight, which is incongruous with the nighttime background.  I think if you made the light more subdued and maybe orange firelight or even cool blueish moonlight, he'd fit in the scene better.  And remember the all-important rule about shadows - if the light is a warmer color, the shadow will be cooler, and vice versa.

You have struck Microcline!

mendonca

• Bay Watcher
  • [CLIVE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #562 on: January 09, 2010, 08:01:09 am »

Thanks Balathustrius ... It helps so much to get another eye on these things ... I know the picture isn't RIGHT (albeit I don't think it's bad either) but those comments are VERY helpful as to why.

It took me a phenomenal amount of concentration to even take the drawing to that level ... when I posted last night I was proper beat, couldn't stop thinking about it (it's probably the first 'proper' painting I have ever tried to do) ... but also a real good learning experience.

Probably explains why I threw a night-time backdrop on it (so I didn't have to do any detail!) after I had spent all my time drawing the central figure lit 'normally'.

Hopefully I can keep practicing and it should get easier! (and with luck my standard will increase as well ..)

I think I will revisit this in a couple of weeks and see if I can take it up a notch or two.

p.s. I don't think there are Dogmen in yet, I was inspired a little bit by the new 'animalmen' alluded to in the upcoming version ...

Hippoman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #563 on: January 09, 2010, 11:56:34 pm »

Well, I've had nothing better to do so I desided to do this...

I tried to get work done on some of the creatures and people that fit with him but I just couldn't feel it, I kept getting blobs of annoyance.

You cannot see that in your avatar lol.
THPÆCROSSISM
ΘπÆ┼ - Rise up against our superiors! Let all dwarves be equal!
KHDownloads

Fault

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #564 on: January 10, 2010, 01:07:30 am »

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #565 on: January 10, 2010, 01:17:28 am »

What, you guys don't have 7680x7680 monitors? I could see that detail just fine on his avatar. The blown-up image was unnecessary.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

Hungry

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #566 on: January 10, 2010, 01:36:28 am »

Is that... a sphincter?

Thats a heptagonal heptagramical(the word that does the -ical placement to heptagram) pupil with a milk white iride, and red phlorescent sclera... and that isn't in the avatar but is detail added to a closer zoom.

Also the mostly complete back to guy.
Spoiler: image (click to show/hide)

Edit for damn heptagon removal.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2010, 02:12:51 am by Hungry »

Fault

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #567 on: January 10, 2010, 01:48:36 am »

the iris ain't milk-white. It looks wrinkly and flesh-coloured.
and heptagon means seven-sided, like a round object. You want heptagram, that's the word for a seven-pointed star shape.

Hungry

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #568 on: January 10, 2010, 02:18:03 am »

Looks milk white to me...flesh has more red spectrum to it...although the eye might pull from around it...

And its a heptagon when the pupils fully dilate anyways...

Fault

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #569 on: January 10, 2010, 02:27:25 am »

Pages: 1 ... 36 37 [38] 39 40 ... 296