Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 292 293 [294] 295 296

Author Topic: +The Engravers Guild+  (Read 358097 times)

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
Re: +The Engravers Guild+
« Reply #4395 on: June 06, 2014, 04:34:53 pm »

Getting texture right is the same as getting landscapes right :P

You gotta do lots of studies, well, not even lots if you do them properly.

Generally, taking what you find yourself lacking at (like say making metal stuff look like metal and fleshy stuff look like fleshy stuff) and making spheres and cubes and generally trying to find as diverse as possible an array of said things (so for metal you get some rusty refs, some shiny armour, some chrome, some matte stuff, etc..).

That said, What GGI has linked has nice video tutorials on such things which should help you along the rocky road of not suckage.

Also watching Conan has pumped me up for some paintage, expect something soon :D

Edit:

And it's done, I guess, don't feel like working on it anymore and the desired effect has been accomplished

Tho looking at it now, the lower body could've been a bit darker to better contrast with the flappy parts.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2014, 05:48:09 pm by Jopax »
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

Shook

• Bay Watcher
  • ◦ ◡ ◦
    • View Profile
    • DeviantArt page
« Reply #4396 on: June 06, 2014, 07:12:46 pm »

Oh man ctrlpaint, i keep forgetting that that's a thing. :v
I am in absolutely no doubt that this is an extremely useful site (i have watched a few of the videos), but i find it very difficult to figure out where to start (at the start probably), and also a bit daunting because of the sheer amount of videos. But anyhoo, thanks for reminding me!

Also in light of the word "study" being a word in the english language, i decided to first of all try to break away from the clay-look:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I'm actually quite happy with the fourth one (i hear the shadow misses its mark a bit, but that's just me being lazy with it), whereas plastic and number 3 kind of flopped (although 3 does look a bit like a pearl, which is pretty cool). Clay was the easiest to do, given that that's how i usually do. :v
As before, any input is greatly appreciated.

Edit: Happy as in "this did not go catastrophically wrong", i know it's not perfect by any means, i just don't quite know how to make it so.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2014, 08:32:27 pm by Shook »
Twitter i guess
also deviantART page
Quote from: Girlinhat
It may be worthwhile to have the babies fall into ring of fortifications or windows, to prevent anyone from catching and saving them.
[01:27] <Octomobile> MMM THATS GOOD FIST BUTTER

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4397 on: June 07, 2014, 06:22:35 pm »

Aye, the clay is pretty good, the metal one is okay. What seems to be your biggest issue right now is blending, the transitions on the highlights on the metal sphere are usually slightly smoother and softer, especially if it's smooth and polished metal. If it's rough, the transitions are again smooth, except this time they have some texture to them.

As always, keep working on it, don't think anyone got everything perfect on their first try, and art is one of the grindier vocations :D

Also, did another big piece, this one took quite some time and was done for a fantasy character concept challenge in a FB group. Great fun doing it, even if my back is starting to hurt a bit. Also also, misread the date and thought it was due in three days so I hurried to finish it tonight, but, as it turns out it's due in a month :I

Anyways, enough babbling:
Spoiler: The piece (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: The flava text (click to show/hide)
AS - IG

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4398 on: July 09, 2014, 04:57:43 pm »

Doubleposting because hey, you guys need to do more serious work, instead of just doodling all the time :P

Also because I've finished the squidface thing for the competition (the same competition the lady above is entered in). Well, kinda finished, there's atleast three versions of it and I can't decide which one I like better (or hate less):

Here they are it is(the old version links seem to be broken):
The third one is probably the one I'll go with in the end since that one was refined the most.
Refined the third one further.
Also obligatory flava text:
« Last Edit: July 16, 2014, 05:50:22 am by Jopax »
AS - IG

Bastriastr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4399 on: July 15, 2014, 06:13:52 pm »

I did a collection of the dwarven weapons as i imagine them.

Here theres the copper ones, I tried to depict them as being made from a single piece of metal, since the game specifies no handles/straps.

« Last Edit: July 15, 2014, 06:18:27 pm by Bastriastr »

nightcrafter27

• Bay Watcher
  • Extrapolator Extrodinator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4400 on: July 28, 2014, 04:39:02 pm »

I made a "close-up" of a planet, using Photoshop and satellite imagery form NASA. Getting the stars right were the hardest part, because the image was so large that when I was zoomed out to see the whole image, the stars would look completely different than what they actually were. Also, I'm not entirely sure about how well I did on the atmosphere.

Soadreqm

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm okay with this. I'm okay with a lot of things.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4401 on: February 07, 2015, 06:40:15 pm »

This thread is six months old, but since I didn't see a newer one in my quick skim of the first few forum pages, I guess I'll resurrect this one. As we all know, art is timeless.

This doesn't look quite like the reference, but I think it looks basically human. I'm going to count it as a success.
If you see anything specific that's wrong with it, please do let me know.

EagleV

• Bay Watcher
  • Oblivisci tempta quod didicisti
    • View Profile
« Reply #4402 on: February 08, 2015, 05:06:07 am »

She looks a bit more... Friendly? Innocent? than the reference. I like it!
Quote from: Robert Donoghue and Fred Hicks
There are three things you must learn if you wish to defeat me, my young pupil. First, you must look within yourself and find your core of strength. Second, your mind and body must be in perfect unison. Third...
*WHACK*
Third, stop listening when you should be fighting.

Lofn

• Bay Watcher
  • There was a hole.
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
« Reply #4403 on: February 09, 2015, 12:20:08 am »

Been awhile. Posting some stuff for the sake of reviving the thread a bit. Some of these are pretty old, but they do demonstrate improvement since my last posts in this thread.

Also known as Zuhayr.

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4404 on: February 09, 2015, 12:41:09 am »

You guys sure do create some unique, weird and cool stuff. I should check by here
more often.

I haven't posted here in years for some unknown reason, but I might as well post some now.
A couple illustrations, and some Google Earth Plein Air.
  Since some of you here are out to learn
painting stuff, you can shoot me a message anytime if you want some help.

...is it alright if I Smaug these? Just want to pile them up in my concept/mood/landscape art folder, sit on, and admire them. ._.

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4405 on: February 09, 2015, 08:44:58 am »

Alas that this thread has pretty much died out. I'm not really sure why, we have tons of great artists in this forum between creative projects and to a lesser extent the Forum Game/Forgotten Beast Art people, and tons of people wanting to learn. I guess it just comes down to a lack of motivation?

But for all the recent posts, damn that shit is good.
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

Spreggo

• Bay Watcher
  • A vile force of darkness has arrived!
    • View Profile
    • skullsprout games
« Reply #4406 on: February 14, 2015, 02:56:30 pm »

No, don't die!

I'm still alive, alas I don't have much time for forum-ing.

I do a lot with/r/Artbuddy these days, which is very similar in purpose as The Engravers Guild. Feel free to check it out! We have an IRC and google hangout too.

Check out some of my work too: http://spreggo.tumblr.com/

Hopefully this thread doesn't die completely, if it does I might be forced to form a party to reclaim it.

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4407 on: February 15, 2015, 09:27:35 am »

No, don't die!

I'm still alive, alas I don't have much time for forum-ing.

I do a lot with/r/Artbuddy these days, which is very similar in purpose as The Engravers Guild. Feel free to check it out! We have an IRC and google hangout too.

Check out some of my work too: http://spreggo.tumblr.com/

Hopefully this thread doesn't die completely, if it does I might be forced to form a party to reclaim it.

... It's VERY dead in comparison to its heyday a couple of years ago. Especially when we had all the guilds on the front page all the time.

EDIT: but awesome art.
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

Pencil_Art

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4408 on: March 07, 2015, 03:11:48 am »

(Let us not let this die!) I had the time to doodle and I eventually came up with this:

Feel free to critique. The eyes are a bit messed up. I also have no idea how to draw legs.This was the character concept for a forum game I joined.

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #4409 on: March 07, 2015, 12:58:20 pm »

With legs, I find it easiest to work off the basis that they come off the hips, which are sort-of part of the torso and usually barely covered by a long t-shirt.

I also learned proportion and hands by doing labeled anatomical diagrams of skeletons, so I may have a slightly unusual method. :v

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.
Pages: 1 ... 292 293 [294] 295 296