Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Relationships: The Dead  (Read 1932 times)

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Relationships: The Dead
« on: February 27, 2008, 03:30:00 am »

Small change to the relationships screen indicating which of their friends/relatives are dead so it's easy to figure out who the "had a friend die recently" was.

Actually, two notations, the recently dead, and the long dead (i.e. those they have current thoughts about versus the ones they've "forgotten").

Puzzlemaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Relationships: The Dead
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2008, 08:34:00 pm »

Reply!
The mark of the immature man is that he wants to die nobly for a cause, while the mark of the mature man is that he wants to live humbly for one.

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2008, 12:44:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Puzzlemaker:
<STRONG>Reply!</STRONG>

Finally!
God damn, what did it take?

Zeofar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2008, 03:56:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Puzzlemaker:
<STRONG>Reply!</STRONG>

A completely innovative replacement for the bump.

Krash

• Bay Watcher
  • The one and only
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2008, 05:01:00 am »

The reason few people are replying is that this is a great, simple idea, and there's not much to add really.  Bad suggestions always get lots of posts (some pretty retarded), as do more complex ones that need further "refining".  So consider yourself silently approved by the entire forum.   :)
MyLittlePonyBuiltMyHotRod, this is your first warning. I would like to direct you to read our forum's FAQ and posting guidelines before posting again. Specifically we don't use swear words here, and your picture of Stalin riding a Year3 Limited Edition Starflower inside a German concentration camp was both upsetting and historically inaccurate.

numerobis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2008, 12:50:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Krash:
<STRONG>The reason few people are replying is that this is a great, simple idea, and there's not much to add really.  Bad suggestions always get lots of posts (some pretty retarded), as do more complex ones that need further "refining".  So consider yourself silently approved by the entire forum.    :)</STRONG>

The only suggestion that I've made that's made it into the game was a one-liner with no replies.  Toady implemented it for the very next version.

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2008, 03:39:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Krash:
<STRONG>The reason few people are replying is that this is a great, simple idea, and there's not much to add really.  Bad suggestions always get lots of posts (some pretty retarded), as do more complex ones that need further "refining".  So consider yourself silently approved by the entire forum.    :)</STRONG>

While true, we, as humans, pine for acknowledgement of our ideas, that other people think that they are good.  No replies makes us think that our idea is bad, "no one said anything, they must not like it."

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2008, 07:41:00 am »

"Urdim Kuletastesh has been dead lately..."

Areyar

• Bay Watcher
  • Ecstatic about recieving his own E:4 mug recently
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2008, 07:43:00 am »

considder the idea ... not rejected.  :D
My images bucket for WIPs and such: link

jonnym

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2008, 12:42:00 pm »

quote:
"Urdim Kuletastesh has been dead lately..."

zombie dwarf?

Hyperturtle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2008, 12:49:00 pm »

No replies so you think everyone believes the idea to be bad?

You must not be a full time employee anywhere.  If you present an idea that does not get a direct no for an answer, then you are free to do it!  

This is especially important when it involves the work you are doing, or reducing the amount of work you are doing.  If an idea can be presented in the most complex and illogical way possible, which still getting people to nod their head and smile, then you are doing your BS job correctly.

Or, if they remain silent and belwildered, that is OK too--because it shows that you know more than them, and you are essentially free to do as you wish (within limits of course).

So repeat after me--the lack of a negative response is a complicit approval for whatever you wish to do!

Of course, since it was a suggestion, its not like you can implement it since you aren't the programmer.  But still, I hope my valuable lesson has shaped the future of many a forum denizen.

igless

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2008, 05:37:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Hyperturtle:
<STRONG>You must not be a full time employee anywhere.</STRONG>

Um...duh?
I haven't even graduated college yet.

Hyperturtle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2008, 05:47:00 pm »

How am I to know you are not out of college??

Anyway I hope my advice fits well in the business world, once you enter it. Meetings are fun at first but eventually they start to suck your soul out.
http://theburningbiscuit.com/Demotivational%20Posters.html

igless

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 07, 2008, 11:35:00 pm »

I just posted two of those to the Second Life forums.  Disservice and Apathy.

Dame de la Licorne

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats? Check. FPS? Uh-oh...
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 25, 2008, 09:57:54 am »

I was thinking about this idea, and found this thread, so here's a major BUMP!  It shouldn't take too much work on Toady's part to make dead dwarves show up in a different way in the relationships screen.
If software was real world, then it'd be something equivalent of hitting a nail with a hammer and having a building collapse on the other side of town.

Don't worry people, sometimes -moments occur
Pages: [1] 2