Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16

Author Topic: Apexwhips - Convicts at large  (Read 23187 times)

Akigagak

• Bay Watcher
  • Omnipimping
    • View Profile
Re: Apexwhips - Convicts at large
« Reply #195 on: March 03, 2010, 06:39:20 pm »

If they don't all get claimed, can I claim one as Akigagak's second in command of the Grand Army?
But then, life was also easier when I was running around here pretending to be a man, so I guess I should just "man up" and get back to work.
This is mz poetrz, it is mz puyyle.

rickvoid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #196 on: March 03, 2010, 06:47:02 pm »

It's too bad relationships haven't been fleshed out yet. A situation like this would result in females competing over the few males availible.
It would be Fun to watch Urist McAngryWife beat the living shit out of Bomrek McHomeWrecker with her own GCS Thong, while Olon McSeveredOrbs is rushed to the Barracks with a severe lower body injury. :D

The_Fool76

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: March 03, 2010, 06:54:18 pm »

I'm glad you mentioned relationships, it made me go through the dwarves checking to see if anything had changed.

We still have the two sets of lovers:
Skuz and Loki
Gear and Art

But now we also have a married couple that came in with the last group of immigrants:
The Wood Cutter burner and a Peasant
« Last Edit: March 03, 2010, 07:01:48 pm by The_Fool76 »
Tis far better to be a witty fool than a foolish wit.

Gyron

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #198 on: March 03, 2010, 07:14:56 pm »

Dibs using the craftsdwarf for my char if okay?

Grendus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #199 on: March 04, 2010, 12:32:11 pm »

If there are no objections, I'll take the jeweler.
A quick guide to surviving your first few days in CataclysmDDA:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=121194.msg4796325;topicseen#msg4796325

Caz

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:comforting whirs]
    • View Profile
« Reply #200 on: March 04, 2010, 07:04:14 pm »

This community fort and the story you've made to go along with it are pretty amazing. Really enjoyable read. :)

Edit: Oh yeah, give me any sort of military dorf when you can, or just recruit a peasant or something.   :)

Name: Caz
Background: Was recruited into the military during the great tantrum spiral of ChannelHazes. Was imprisoned for killing the berzerk mayor and then going insane. Years later, this dwarf was "cured" by the surgeon at the newfangled dwarven crazy-dwarf institute. Was released into dwarven society and then was put into a migrant group by the outpost leader for "odd tendencies".
« Last Edit: March 05, 2010, 08:55:40 pm by Caz »

ShadowLuigi147

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McPicard has entered a martial trance!
    • View Profile
« Reply #201 on: March 04, 2010, 10:03:56 pm »

I would like the wood burner pleeeease :D
Name: Zirilloruk (I genned a fiery name, and it was fiery habits :D)
Profession: Wood burner and animal dissector/trainer (You can pick)
I'll pm you her backstory.
Ah, Dwarf Fortress. The only game where it's considered perfectly normal to discuss the most efficient method of farming and butchering friendly sentient beings for their valuable bones...

The_Fool76

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #202 on: March 20, 2010, 08:09:43 pm »

More Sheep to the Slaughter?

Mandy stood admiring the row off stonefall traps in the narrow hallway leading to the lower part of the fort.  “Are you sure these will work?” she asked the dwarf with the oddly forked beard standing next to her.

“Yes.” he replied in a tone that indicated a sort of resigned confidence in his trap making skills. 

“You sound almost as if you have done this before.” said Mandy.
“I have, and these traps are rigged to go off for anything but a dwarf walking over them.  So if you have any narcoleptic children about, keep them away from here.” he replied. 

“Ah...” said Mandy, suspecting that she might have just discovered why this particular dwarf had come to wind up here.  “Well good. We don't even have any kids here, though the way Art and Gear have been going at it that might change.  Hopefully this will be enough to kill a few of those green buggers and convince the rest to go off somewhere else.” 

Lobsterbeard nodded.  “You don't need me here anymore do you?” he asked. 
“No, you should probably go down below with the rest while I go and open a door to ah... invite the goblins to come in and admire our wonderful traps.” said Mandy as she carefully made her way down the trapped passage.  No sooner had she reached the end and started up the stairs there when she hear someone calling out from above.  She ran up the rest of the stairs and onto the surface wondering just who was stupid enough to be yelling when there was a pack of goblins about. 

“Oh... joy...”  she muttered to herself upon spotting a group of dwarves standing across the pond from her.  She briefly considered just letting the goblins deal with them just as they had the elves but then one of the dwarves spotted her. 

“Oh look! Someone saw us! Could you let us in?”  shouted the dwarf. 
Muttering to herself about idiots and their beards, Mandy ran over to the door.  “Keep it down you imbeciles, there is a pack of goblins on the other side of the fort!” she growled as she opened the door to let them in.  No sooner had the words left her mouth than the cry of goblins voices rang out as the goblins sensed the now open door.  This of course resulted in a cry going up from the group of dwarves outside the fort and Mandy almost getting trampled by them in their haste to get inside. 

“Go down those stairs and keep going till you go past a room open to the sky.” she shouted at the dwarves running past her.
“What about you?” asked one.

Mandy just picked up her axe. “I will be right behind you.” 
“Guarding the rear in case any of those goblins catch up with us?” the dwarf asked.
“No, smacking you in the back of the head with my axe if you don't move fast enough!” snapped Mandy.

The dwarf looked at Mandy, then her axe, turned a little paler and joined the rest in running down the stairs. 

Mandy lost count as they ran past her. Just how many idiots did Athel find this time?  How was she supposed to deal with them all?  Finally the last one was past.  Just in time too from the sound of the goblins.  Mandy ran after them.  Those traps had better work or she was going to make sure Lobsterbeard didn't last long enough to get shot by a goblin.
The group made it down into the main part of the fort safely much to Mandy's surprise.  She was sure that at least one of them was going to trip and fall face first on a trap the way they were running. 

“It is good to be safe underground again.” commented one of the dwarves.  “Yea I was afraid we were going to have to sleep above ground when I saw those wooden walls. Can you imagine?”  “I wonder what the leader of this fort is like?”  “I heard there were no nobles here.” 

Mandy shook her head as the new dwarves continued to talk among themselves.  Suddenly there was a loud THUD accompanied by a squeal of pain and surprise from above.  “Ah, I think that was a goblin discovering one of the stone fall traps.” commented Mandy to the suddenly quiet group of dwarves. 

“You didn't lock the doors behind us?” asked another dwarf looking horrified. 
“No, I don't plan on having these goblins hanging about the fort all season.  We set up some traps that should kill or maim enough to scare the rest off.  At least I hope so.” replied Mandy.

Just then another THUD shook dust from the ceiling.
The dwarves had all gone quiet and were looking upwards.  Two of them were standing next to each other clinging onto each other's beards. 

“Oh great, another pair of lovebirds.” muttered Mandy to herself. 
Several more THUDS shook the room followed by a long period of quiet.
“Do you think they are gone?” asked one of the dwarves breaking the silence. 
“I hope so.” said Mandy. “I am going to see.  You all stay right here and don't go anywhere till I get back. ”

“Who are you to order us about?” muttered one of the dwarves.
Mandy picked up her axe. “Right now, I'm the one with an axe.” she snapped.

“I'm going to complain to the leader of this fort.” spoke up another Dwarf.
“I'm also the leader.” replied Mandy with an evil grin causing the dwarf who spoke up to suddenly try and look inconspicuous.  Fortunately for the dwarf Mandy was more concerned with the state of the goblins and she walked off to see what the traps had accomplished. 

She cautiously crept up the stairs to where the trapped hallway was and looked down it.  Several large boulders were now lying in the hallway with spatterings of blood on the walls and floor.  Sticking out from under one of the boulders was a pair of green feet.   No living goblins were to be seen or heard.  Satisfied that the traps had done their job, Mandy turned and went to head back down to properly welcome the latest bunch Athel had sent her way.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2010, 08:13:02 pm by The_Fool76 »

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
  • Break the world, see what falls out.
    • View Profile
« Reply #203 on: March 20, 2010, 08:14:19 pm »

You know, i don't think i ever saw my personality profile.

Hard to do a journal without it.
I can do anything I want, as long as I accept the consequences.
"Y'know, my favorite thing about being a hero is that it gives you all kinds of narrative justification to just slay any ol' jerk who gets in the way - Black Mage.
"The bulk of [Derm]'s atrocities seem to stem from him doing things that [Magic] doesn't actually do." - TvTropes
"Dammit Derm!" - You, if I'm doing it right.
Moved to SufficientVelocity / Spacebattles.

Urist McOverlord

• Bay Watcher
  • [Evil_Genius]
    • View Profile
« Reply #204 on: March 21, 2010, 12:58:09 am »

;D UPDATE!  ;D
Magma: The cause of, and solution to, all life's problems.

If it moves, it wants to kill you. It may not try to, but it wants to.

dwarfguy2

• Bay Watcher
  • Human Meta Knight... 0_o
    • View Profile
« Reply #205 on: March 21, 2010, 09:13:21 am »

do you have a fisherdwarf? i want one

alan
i'll PM you his secrets.
Caution: This user may or may not be a horrible evil Elder God from the deepest regions of space. He also may or may not be a lawyer.

The_Fool76

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #206 on: March 23, 2010, 11:40:50 pm »

do you have a fisherdwarf? i want one

alan
i'll PM you his secrets.

I don't have a dwarf with fishing skill available if that is what you are asking.  I could make one of the unclaimed dwarves a fisherdwarf though.   

Also, I haven't gotten a PM from you.  So if you sent one, it never arrived.

The_Fool76

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #207 on: March 23, 2010, 11:43:28 pm »

Say,  That Beard Looks Familiar
Mandy stood in the door to the room looking over the group of new arrivals.  Several of the other residents were grouped behind her and attempting to look around, over, and possibly through her.  “Would you all back off a bit?” she directed at those crowding behind her. “Everyone can meet the new folks after I welcome them.” 

There was some general muttering but the other dwarves gave Mandy a bit more space.  Mandy shook her head and returned to looking over the newcomers, most of whom were staring right back at her.  They looked particularly ragged and there was a faint smoky smell to them.  She even spotted a few who looked as if parts of their beards had been scorched.   

“Are you going to stare at us all day or what?” grumbled one of them. 
“Right, welcome to the military! You get to be Akigagak's new slugmen squashing sidekick.” Mandy snapped pointing at the dwarf who spoke up.
“But I'm just a Miller!” squeaked the dwarf in protest. 

“Good, no bad habits to unlearn.” replied Mandy.  “As for the rest of you, I have two questions.”  continued Mandy. “The first is what in the blazes happened to you? Did you decide to swim through a magma moat or something?”

The dwarves all looked at each other before finally one spoke up.   “Well we originally had a cart, but then it caught fire.” 
Mandy blinked.  “Your cart, caught fire? Did you have some fire imps with you or something?” 

“No, we were just all riding along when suddenly FWOOSH! Up in flames it goes.  It's a wonder we all still have most of our beards.”

“You had a cart full of supplies and it just burst into flames?” asked Mandy incredulously.
“Who said anything about supplies? It was just a cart and a really old and worn one at that. The wood was so dry it was probably just over exposure to the sun.” said another dwarf.

Mandy just shook her head. “Well I suppose the important thing is that you did make it here.  Which brings me to my next question.  I want to know what skills each of you has and what you want to do.  So form a line and … yes?  Why are you tugging on my sleeve Gear?”  Asked Mandy turning to look at the other dwarf who had come up behind her.

“We need to talk to you.” said Gear.
“What all of you? Now?” asked Mandy.
“Yes, now.” replied Gear.

Mandy noticed that all her fellow convicts were grouped together and looking at her intently.  “Ok fine.”  She turned back to the room. “I need to go take care of something, I expect you all to be lined up and ready to tell me what you do when I get back.”  She then turned and followed Gear over to the group. 

“What is it?” she asked looking at everyone's faces.  “It's HER.” blurted out Art nodding his head towards the room. 
“Her who?” prompted Mandy.

“The head of Axegrind!” whispered Skuz. 
Mandy took a step back.  “What?”

The other's nodded. 
“Are you sure?  That doesn't make any sense at all.” said Mandy.
“Well, I never got a good look at her when we were there but apparently Art had to bring her meals a few times.” said Gear.

“And he is positive that the dwarf in there is the same one who was in charge there?”  asked Mandy.
“Absolutely.” replied Gear. 

“What are we going to do about it?” asked Loki.
“Damned if I know.” replied Mandy. “I'll come up with something.” 

Urist McOverlord

• Bay Watcher
  • [Evil_Genius]
    • View Profile
« Reply #208 on: March 23, 2010, 11:52:09 pm »

!!GASP!!

That's right, the gasp is on fire!

Also:  ;D
Magma: The cause of, and solution to, all life's problems.

If it moves, it wants to kill you. It may not try to, but it wants to.

Zifnab

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #209 on: March 24, 2010, 08:16:28 pm »

Awesome! Immigrants!  Boris may yet show up!

If it would speed his arrival, any male dwarf would do.
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16