Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8]

Author Topic: For Queen and Country!  (Read 11848 times)

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: For Queen and Country!
« Reply #105 on: September 22, 2010, 07:51:27 pm »

Okay, this was bad. Henry wanted nothing to do with the bag, or its contents, yet hesitated as he was setting it back down.'

A poster fluttered past: "For queen and country!"

The thought stuck in his mind; he sighed. He'd never be able to live with himself if the queen was assassinated, while he had sat idly by ... They'd detain him for this. If he made it without getting searched on the way, or stopped by somebody who'd seen him.

He stuffed the bag underneath his coat surreptitiously, frowning as he tried to covertly flatten the bulge. He'd explain things to the palace guards. Surely they would be reasonable. And yet, it wasn't his place to disrupt the natural order. They'd detain him for days for this, at best. In the most probable outcome, everything he'd done to now would be for-

"For queen and country" he muttered, as he began heading for the palace.

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: September 22, 2010, 08:20:50 pm »

If I want to find another like this I need to learn of it, I will try to find a sample, anything, maybe a tissue sample was thrown clear of the body, I try to avoid notice while searching behind the podium and taking anything that looks like it belonged in the mayor.
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: September 23, 2010, 08:29:47 am »

Not playing yet, just having some fun with my character while the others are doing official stuff. I'll most just be a coincidental participant and comic relief till I get an actual slot. ^_^

Fingal frowned as a pack of posters posters came undone, and a number of them got caught up by the wind and blew out of the crate he was carrying. He watched them go, fluttering past some guy stuffing a bag under his coat, and muttered. It had had cost him good money to get these printed out, and his profit margin wasn't large enough he could afford to lose many of them before turning them in to the officials for his reward.

He shrugged, and then went back to walking. Sounded like a lot of commotion not too far away... he should probably avoid that if he could. Well, onwards to the nearest station, regardless.

Silleh Boy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: September 23, 2010, 12:18:08 pm »

The skies ahead were filled with the ominous rumbling of thunder with the falling of rain following, lightly drizzling the city as the scent of water started to replace that of soot and the stink of people, of progress. That initial downpour was little more than enough to dampen the cobblestones and paving, to darken brickwork walls, to scatter the people still lingering on the streets as they knew that it was only going to grow heavier.

Armok:
It was hard to believe that your cane - yes, your cane! - had been in that mans house, along with your pocket watch, and some of your money too. The nerve of that man. Unless it was a woman, maybe?

Maybe it was a couple.

The nerve of that (wo)man and (wo)man!

You almost felt indignant enough to report them, now you were certain that you had covered all bases on their potential identity, as theft of property was a serious crime. They were lucky you had better things to do, such as apporaching this map of the city to plan your next move. One hand slipped into your pockets as you searched for a dart, pulling free a set of cards, before you moved to check up your sleeve, pausing briefly to stop a bird from escaping it by pushing it back in.

You paused, tapping your finger against your chin in an overly dramatic manner, before tipping your other arm, a small dart used for the occasional trick falling into your palm - bottom first, fortunately.

Your eyes closed and your wrist flicked.

"Do you mind!" muttered one of the nearby people as a solid thud from the dart hitting the board the map was painted onto had you open your eyes. It seemed the dart had landed just shy of London Bridge.

Spoiler: Possessions (click to show/hide)

Cerapa:
Air 6, 1d6 (3)
vs
Air 6, 1d6 (2)

Further observation of the blood appeared at first to do little more than tell you that this was indeed, as you had already confirmed, blood. It wasn't until you took your eyes off it for a moment as you started to pack the tools of your trade up, that you noticed something odd about it.

The drops of it that had gotten over the surfaces while you were experimenting with it hadn't just dried, they had turned into delicate flakes, flakes that crumbled when tentatively prodded with a fork from one of the stacks waiting to be washed.

It seemed you had stumbled onto something of note here, that the blood of these things, whatever they were, rapidly deteriorated once outside of their body. It was a means to confirm what they were, a means to confirm their identity. It still didn't tell you how to actually find them first hand, or what they were, though, it was a discovery.

A major discovery.

Your discovery.

The rumble of thunder outside however, was enough to make you wonder if this discovery could wait, if you were going to be brazen enough to request a room here, or if you'd brave the rain and find some place a touch less pricy.

Though, there was always the guild house's dorm's.

Criptfeind:
There was no clear means that you could get close to this thing, as the hail of bullets that was directed at it was enough to ensure that stepping into the line of fire would either cause your demise, or anger those attempting, however ineffectually, to take this thing down. The option left open as such, was to see if hitting it with fire from a distance was an option.

Moving as it was, this meant that you were going to have to anticipate where to aim.

Fire 6, 1d6 (2)
vs
Fire 9, 1d6 (3)

You opened up with a barrage of tiny pellets of fire, only to find that this thing was moving too fast as it started to vault from wall to wall, sending crumbling brickwork falling into the alley below. It was ascending the walls, clearly aiming to lose those who had pursued it this far by moving over the rooftops.

Air 5, 1d6 (5)
vs
Air 9, 1d6 (1)

This you realised, made it an easier target, if you anticipated its movements from wall to wall, leading your shots. You probably only had one shot at this though, you realised, so you aimed carefully, preparing a single, large blast of fire to send its way.

Fire 5 (5)
vs
Fire 9 -3 (2)

1d3+1 (1) = 2
vs
5AC (Heavy) = 0 Damage.

It was a hit, a direct hit, catching this thing as it scaled the walls in this awkward manner, taking advantage of its current path of travel to let you hit this thing. Yet... It seemed to not only shrug off that ball of fire as it enveloped its lower body, it continued to climb unphased by this attack, as the flames licked at it, then fizzled out.

Abculatter:
Fire 4 (6)
vs
Fire 9 (3)

1d3+1 (3), +1d3 (1) = 5
vs
5AC (Heavy) = 0

While you didn't have the forethought to anticipate this things movement through its ascent, you made up for this with enthusiasm. Unfortunately, enthusiasm failed to be an adequate means of penetrating this things bronze exterior. You knew deep down that the two shots you had seen deflected by its form would have meant a repair job on a standard Guardian, but a Guardian this thing wasn't.

It was also up and over the roof, seemingly having shrugged off everything aimed at it, seemingly unbothered by the flames that had hit it from the strange man nearby. You had to wonder what it was exactly, and why you were still holding the coat it had been wearing.

The Peelers were indisarray now, some of them running blindly down alley ways to catch it, some of them walking back, cursing, a few of them patting you on the shoulder for your valiant efforts.

Whatever that thing was, you'd never catch it now.

Nirur:
The weather was steadily growing worse, light rain starting at first, with the threat of a downpour unleashed from the heavy clouds overhead that could wash the stain of this city from the map, or so it seemed. People hurried by as you made your way along the riverside, the occasional line of coversation catching you as they passed by.

"I've heard that there's more of those damned creatures that come then the rain gets this heavy," started one voice behind you, while another chipped in with a disgusted tone.

"Please, they don't come out in the day unless they're disturbed and you know that," spluttered the second voice.

"So what about the thunder, may that wake them?"

Nobody knew what to believe, nobody was entirely certain about these creatures. For a city overrun by such monstrosities, the average person didn't know much about them other than to keep away from them and to stay indoors at night.

If they did come out in the day however, this would serve to complicate things further.

With the way the rain was steadily growing heavier though, it was looking likely that you would want to take shelter for the time being, if only to protect yourself from the elements.

RAM:
Water 4 +1, 1d6 (6)
vs
Water 6, 1d6 (2)

Doing your best to blend into the background, to appear as if you belonged in the scene you started to search it, carefully combing the area for further clues into this things identity. More accurately, you wanted a tissue sample, something that could give you insight into this. Something that would help shed light on what this thing was, all while moving under the noses of the Peelers watching the body.

Air 7, 1d6 (5)
vs
Air 6, 1d6 (5)

While you did find something, it wasn't entirely clear that you had at first. What you had found, was a chunk of flesh, skin to be exact, that appeared to be in an advanced state of decay. You almost missed what its signifigance was until it struck you, that this area would not have such things laying around normally, that this was indeed what you had been after. Unfortunately, it was rapidly decaying, succumbing, you realised, to age.

Focusing as best you could, as you retreated from the area with the sound of thunder ringing in your ears, you studied your prize, watching as it slowly seemed to crumble to dust in your hands. It was human as far as you could tell, yet, it was impossibly old, affected by the ravages of time once disconnected from the main mass of the body.

Thunder rumbled through the skies once more as the light rain started to grow increasingly heavy, thick storm clouds lazily billowing through the skies. The rain was getting heavier, quickly threatening to get to the point it would begin reducing visibility at the rate the downpour was growing at. Sing-song voices from children echoed through the city as parents tried to hush them, afraid that something else would come out with the rain.

"Rain rain, go away, come back another day."

Those voices were quickly silenced as the last of the people on the street hurried indoors and the only sounds were those of water beating against the paving and the growling thunder as it continued to increase

cerapa

• Bay Watcher
  • It wont bite....unless you are the sun.
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: September 23, 2010, 12:43:32 pm »

My lack of good observation rolls is quite disconcerting. 3 rolls and the only better roll has been only 1 number higher. And the others exactly the same as the vs rolls.

Definetly not going to the guildhouse. Staying in this place would be rather suspicious too, gonna have to find a place less expensive too. There should be no suspicion of a technomancer looking for shelter with this weather too.

Tick, tick, tick the time goes by,
tick, tick, tick the clock blows up.

Silleh Boy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: September 23, 2010, 12:53:38 pm »

Abculatter is clearly stealing your good rolls. I'd suggest you kill him on principle, but you'd probably roll a 1.
Seriously though, bad as your rolls have been, they've at least all passed so far.

I wonder if I can find another pair of dice some place, to use instead of these two.

cerapa

• Bay Watcher
  • It wont bite....unless you are the sun.
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: September 23, 2010, 01:01:27 pm »

You could use some RNG on the internet, like http://www.random.org/.

Tick, tick, tick the time goes by,
tick, tick, tick the clock blows up.

Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Blood
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: September 23, 2010, 01:32:26 pm »

I head for a sertain place just shy of London Bridge after retrieving my dart. When I arrive, I fold up my umbrella - yes of coarse I had it the entire time! - and wait somewhere in rain shadow.
So says Armok, God of blood.
Sszsszssoo...
Sszsszssaaayysss...
III...

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: September 23, 2010, 01:48:51 pm »

Henry slumped down into a chair at a table next to a window of the Beady Gnome tavern. It had seen better days, but it was sufficient for remaining dry. He watched the torrents of water hitting the window for several seconds before he was interrupted by a drunk taking a seat across from him.

"'Eard about the murder? Alwa's like the mayor, I did."

He twitched, startled. "What? I'm ... Oh, yes. Terrible day."

Fortunately, the drunk was sufficiently intoxicated that he paid no mind to Henry's slip. He made several noncommittal replies to the man's attempts at conversation, before the drunk finally hobbled off to bother somebody else. He looked about the room, noticing several other people there, probably with the same idea as him. A serving woman approached and asked if he wanted to buy something, implying that dry seating was for paying customers. He glanced out the window again: the deluge showing no signs of slowing, he asked for a cheap meal.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2010, 01:52:52 pm by Nirur Torir »

abculatter_2

• Bay Watcher
  • HOPE!
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: September 23, 2010, 03:29:18 pm »

Continue chasing the thing until it runs out of sight in the heavy rain. Swear, look around, then start walking back the way I came, if I can remember.
Don't think of it as being besieged by thralls/husks, think of it as having your own personal moat of life hating mutilated menaces

Now wall yourself in quickly

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: September 23, 2010, 07:07:56 pm »

I hurry back to the technomancer's guild.
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Read the First Post!

abculatter_2

• Bay Watcher
  • HOPE!
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: September 30, 2010, 09:50:37 pm »

NEIN, NEIN, NEIN, NEIN!!
Don't think of it as being besieged by thralls/husks, think of it as having your own personal moat of life hating mutilated menaces

Now wall yourself in quickly

Silleh Boy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: October 08, 2010, 10:33:56 pm »

Ugh, I'm sorry guys, i'll resume this and Euro's adventure's soon hopefully.
Shoulder injury + Real life = Fun!

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: October 08, 2010, 10:47:29 pm »

Sorry to hear about the Fun... It is more fun when Fun happens to dwarven nobles...
Read the First Post!

Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Blood
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: October 09, 2010, 09:52:35 am »

good to know what happened at least. Get well soon!
So says Armok, God of blood.
Sszsszssoo...
Sszsszssaaayysss...
III...
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8]