Dwarf Fortress > DF Dwarf Mode Discussion

Finding a magma pipe

(1/1)

Antorus:
Is there someway to tell where a magma pipe could be, other than digging the entire map?
I used the find desired location tool in the embark screen to find a location with a magma pipe on it, so I'm sure my area has one, but I can't seem to find it :l

Jim Groovester:
It's time to educate you about embark squares.

Each embark square, when you move from the embark screen to your map, is comprised of blocks of 48x48 tiles. All features, whether underground rivers, pools, magma pipes, other things, and even rivers will be contained within the boundary of each 48x48 block.

Magma pipes are easy to find if you keep this in mind. Divide your map into 48x48 blocks, and then sink a shaft into the center of each one.

Shiv:
Basically just dig down to the bottom layer and dig straight lines 50 spaces away from each other (or 5 shift+movements away) until you hit a warm stone.  Then back out a few spaces and dig up a couple z levels and then digging back into the warm area until you stop hitting the warm stones, then you have an idea of where the top of the magma pipe is.  Try to breach that without having magma ooze everywhere and voila.

Antorus:
Thanks for the tips! I used Jim's method and got right into a magma pipe. Time to mess with it, all signs point to this ending horribly.

Hamster Man:
If you don't mind a little cheating, you can use the Reveal2.exe to... well, reveal it. Just use it, find the general area, and then reload from the previous save.

Search for it on the dwarf fort wiki.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version