Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6671 6672 [6673] 6674 6675 ... 13312

Author Topic: [MILK] There were 12 eggs here what did you do with them? (Happy thread?!)  (Read 14564818 times)

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
Re: [Tomoko~] Because I'm not popular, Ill have an emotion thread (Happy Thread)
« Reply #100080 on: February 25, 2013, 11:53:30 pm »

As I recall, it was primarily science and history, with a healthy helping of the arts. (Music, painting, poetry, literature, etc.)

A lot of colleges have Quiz Bowl, but it's nothing like Knowledge Bowl. Instead... well, here's a comparison.

In Knowledge Bowl, you have three teams of four, with up to two substitutes to switch in halfway through the round. A question is read, and anyone can ring in. The first team to ring in has 15 seconds to discuss their answer, which the captain then says. The captain can delegate if they're unsure of pronunciation or something. If the team doesn't come up with anything, it's the captain's job to think of their best guess, or otherwise not answer. If they get it wrong or run out of time, the second team to ring in does the same, and then the third if they fail. 50 questions is standard for a round, with a short break at 25. The average team matchup ends with scores of around 5-15 for each of the three teams. My team, which was probably the best in the state bar none last year (we beat the 4A and 3A state champion teams on three occasions), could rack up as many as 30, but anything more than 20 is really rather good.

In Quiz Bowl, you have two teams of four. There are toss-up questions, and anyone can ring in. There is no discussion amongst teammates, and whoever answered has to answer. The tossups range in difficulty from completely insane - You have 10 seconds to come up with the volume of a particular cylinder with a particular pentagonal prism cut out of it - to ludicrously easy. (You have 10 seconds to come up with the atomic symbol for potassium.) After the toss-up, the team that won it is posed an incredibly easy question, and only they can ring in. Then they do a slightly harder one. Then a question that might make you think. Then a 'challenge question', in which the team can actually speak to one another. If they miss any of these, which almost never happens before the last question, the other team continues the chain from where they left off. There is a certain time limit for a round, usually 20 minutes. Point values are 1 for a tossup, 3 for the first chain question, 3 for the next, 5 for the third, and 7 for the challenge question. Just about every question is answered correctly by one team or the other because of how ridiculously easy most of them are.

The primary difference, to me, is that Knowledge Bowl is a team sport and Quiz Bowl isn't. The former grants one question per right answer, and the questions are all somewhat hard. The latter is basically up to who can ring in first on the easy toss-ups, so that they can get more and more points for answering up the ludicrously easy chain. Even if the other team gets the 'challenge question' at the end, they won't make up for you getting 12 easy points. When one team gets lucky with their buzzers, they win. Between good Knowledge Bowl teams, there can be a neck-and-neck race. One team gains a clear advantage from the beginning in Quiz Bowl and never looks back.

Weird thing for the Happy Thread, but I guess the nostalgia is making me happy.  :D

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
Re: [Tomoko~] Because I'm not popular, Ill have an emotion thread (Happy Thread)
« Reply #100081 on: February 25, 2013, 11:58:06 pm »

Knowledge Bowl is still all about buzzer work, though.

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #100082 on: February 26, 2013, 12:02:42 am »

Oh, no doubt. The trick is being able to answer the question before they get the whole thing out. I was constantly hovering a millimeter above the buzzer bar.  :P Half the reason we got so many points is that we were great at extrapolating the last few words of long questions.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #100083 on: February 26, 2013, 12:13:01 am »

My favorite extrapolation was this one:

"This tendon--" (interrupted by buzzer)

"uh... uh... Achilles?"

"...Yes, that's correct."

RedWarrior0

• Bay Watcher
  • she/her
    • View Profile
« Reply #100084 on: February 26, 2013, 12:15:51 am »

"uh... uh... Achilles?"

We played something like that in History Class.
"This country-" (Interrupted)
"Russia" (Perfectly confident)
"Yes."

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #100085 on: February 26, 2013, 12:16:55 am »

"uh... uh... Achilles?"

How many other tendons even have a name?  That one's a gimme.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
  • Baal's More Evil American Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #100086 on: February 26, 2013, 12:17:09 am »

Went on a semi-date thingy majig with my LF. A drunken friend of mine told her about how me and her are meant for each other and that she loves me. >.> That was a bit awkward. Then he was all, "Can't you like, not be gay, just for him?"
And I'm like, "No... Being gay doesn't work like that. It's not like a light switch."
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #100087 on: February 26, 2013, 12:24:42 am »

Hans, maybe if you turn gay then you can negate her gayness and live happily ever after.

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #100088 on: February 26, 2013, 12:27:13 am »

o.o
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #100089 on: February 26, 2013, 12:28:29 am »

Hans, maybe if you turn gay then you can negate her gayness and live happily ever after.

1+1=0?

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #100090 on: February 26, 2013, 12:29:44 am »

You sure that your Lesbian Friend isn't actually a Bisexual Friend?
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #100092 on: February 26, 2013, 12:39:17 am »

You sure that your Lesbian Friend isn't actually a Bisexual Friend?

Pretty sure. She's been pretty clear about not liking guys and I'm okay with that. I enjoy having a close friend. If she were to decide she wanted to date me, I would have to have a long, very serious discussion with her before I'd agree. I've lost a friend before because she wanted to date me and I don't want to do that again.
He's fucking with us.

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #100093 on: February 26, 2013, 12:43:36 am »

There were a couple early buzzes that I actually wrote down, they made us giggle so much.

Reader: "This will be a math question. A cylinder with diameter - *BZZT*"
<team panics and flails about for a moment; we settle on a decent-sounding number>
Me: "6 pi cubic meters."
<the reader looks annoyed, since we've unsuccessfully buzzed in a few times already this round.>
Reader(starting quickly): "That's incorr- ... Sorry, that's actually correct."

Reader: "When you feel you know - *BZZT*"
Me: "Intuition."
Aside, from [Teammate]: "Why did you do that? Wait for the question, dammit."
Me: "Trust me."
Reader: "...Correct."

Est Sularus Oth Mithas

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #100094 on: February 26, 2013, 12:47:08 am »

Reader: "When you feel you know - *BZZT*"
Me: "Intuition."
Aside, from [Teammate]: "Why did you do that? Wait for the question, dammit."
Me: "Trust me."
Reader: "...Correct."

That's just too perfect.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.
Pages: 1 ... 6671 6672 [6673] 6674 6675 ... 13312