Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7410 7411 [7412] 7413 7414 ... 13310

Author Topic: [MILK] There were 12 eggs here what did you do with them? (Happy thread?!)  (Read 14379507 times)

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: [ヽ(°ヮ。)ノ] HEADPANTS RETURNS! (Happy Thread)
« Reply #111165 on: August 13, 2013, 02:29:01 am »

I got Proteus with the last Indie Bundle. Played it for a bit, and dismissed it as a pretty Art Game with little substance.

Gave it another shot tonight. I get it now. Somehow, it managed to rekindle a sense of childlike wonder... and I teared up a little bit at the end. That was beautiful.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #111166 on: August 13, 2013, 02:46:40 am »

The new puppy is getting along great with the cat. :3

They've been running around, play-fighting, chasing each other over couches etcetera... It's all very adorable. (I supervise 'em, of course.) It's a relief that they get along so well, though. They can even both be in the kitchen, watching alertly for any possible food, without any unpleasant incidents. :))
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #111167 on: August 13, 2013, 03:16:25 am »

I was able to finish off that story that LW posted.

I now want a forum game where there are a few players who are standard and just standard, and all the other players are OP people who act like utter dicks, and watch as the OP people crumble thanks to their hubris.
Pretty certain /tg/ did this before, there was a forum where the mods were dicks and essentially everyone were superior Drow and all other races were inferior. The humans were like cattle [to quote the mod, a bear will always beat a salmon], the Orcs were heavy duty slaves and nothing more, the Dwarves were wiped out to a few hundred with all their Fortresses razed [they had no guns, but they hand hand cannons which did nothing since their cannonballs could be batted out of the air by drow children], no one could use magic except for the drow.
/tg/ decided almost unanimously that they were going to start a Dwarf Fortress there, inside a toxic wasteland with a magma lake. They had to overcome several obstacles, namely that the mods had to approve the character first [which was arduous since the mods believed double sided swords were practical and adrenaline didn't exist, and they absolutely hated everything non-drow] and they had to get enough Dorfs in whilst not arousing suspicion. They then had to find a way to keep themselves safe despite being worthless in combat.
They had gunpowder, poison immunities [alongside poisons from the wastes], cannons and by not being able to use magic, could not be possessed by demons [drow however, could]. Every single offensive mechanism they could think of could be countered easily by "drow magic" because "drow magic."
So instead they built a democratic Fortress full of Dwarves [and a few cats] each with their own harmless profession [at least, ostensibly] preparing for the downfall of the Drow in many ways. They intended to unite the humans, orcs, dwarves and blind drow [being born without eyes means you're not superior drow master race] whilst building a better society than the Mary Sues. Their plan was to either use their arrogance to force them into realizing their own monstrous nature, face unavoidable destruction - or my favourite, be awesome and ignore the drow altogether, fighting FBs and stuff, being awesome Dwaves.
It was quite brilliant with little things like the Dwarves playing to their imaged superiority [they never got the genders of the drows they were addressing right because Dwarves are too stupid to], saying things that sounded insulting [taking them as compliments of course] and speaking in some garbled tongue [they understand by gist and not words].
It's just a shame I don't know how it ended.

ArchAIngel

• Bay Watcher
  • Infested Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #111168 on: August 13, 2013, 09:24:09 am »

I have cookie dough. Om nom nom.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #111169 on: August 13, 2013, 10:31:19 am »

Cookie dough > cookies.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #111170 on: August 13, 2013, 10:40:12 am »

Went to go see the shrink, he's as nice as I remember him, so that's good. I was able to get some stuff off my chest, so I feel a bit better, and we set up a goal for me to be more sociable. Guess I'm gonna see him next week.

In other news, in a fit of compulsive spending, I bought Cave Story through the 3DS eshop so now I can play it anywhere. So now I own three separate versions of this game.

God, just playing the first few minutes is like rolling up in a warm cuddly blanket. The options menu is surprisingly sparse compared to the Steam version, no individual effects/music volume control, no selection of new or retro style music, or new/retro art selection, no customizable button config (just 'classic' and 'reverse') but everything seems to be in it's right place other than that. I played all the PC versions with the keyboard, so I'll have to relearn with the 3DS setup, but so far everything is very intuitively placed. Top screen is the meat where all the action happens, bottom screen is the potatoes with the paused item menu that can be accessed with a quick touch. This has the added bonus where the map is new actually somewhat accessible! Whereas in the original iterations going to the pause menu to look at it was a hassle, now it's very simple. I mean, I'll still never use it, but hey just throwing it out there.

Also, it's elegantly obvious, but the quickswitching between weapons is relegated to the shoulder buttons, which is much more ergonomic than my original PC setup where every button was fighting for real estate on my keyboard.

Everything being vaguely 3d is tolerable, even charming in it's own special way, but there seems to be an error where text slides up and out of the text box (however momentarily, before disappearing) when people are speaking. I can deal with it though.

I didn't bother researching, but there's the two blank spaces on the start menu, so I'm presuming that the 3DS version has Curly's Story and all the Challenge Modes, ala Cave Story+ on Steam. I'll be looking forward to seeing those again :).
« Last Edit: August 13, 2013, 10:43:38 am by JoshuaFH »

Spaghetti7

• Bay Watcher
  • Steam ID: wavy shapes dude
    • View Profile
« Reply #111171 on: August 13, 2013, 12:27:51 pm »

and I teared up a little bit at the end
Hang on, hang on, woah woah woah. Proteus has an end?
That's nothing. I had something mate with a pile of dead meat.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #111172 on: August 13, 2013, 12:31:45 pm »

I had a great dream tonight that I'm sure I had a variation of before. It was me and the main characters from Thomas Was Alone (?) going up a corporate building to the final room, where we had to do some sort of tests and somebody would open the door to the CEO's office or something for us. Last time I had this dream, long ago, I failed. Now I succeeded. I woke up when we entered, but it was great. Felt like something finally got finished.

E: Also, I had a long nostalgic chat with LW and Gamerlord in a dead IRC channel, on the tunes of some smooth jazz. :)
« Last Edit: August 13, 2013, 12:33:27 pm by miauw62 »

they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #111173 on: August 13, 2013, 12:43:16 pm »

This is my 10,000th post.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #111174 on: August 13, 2013, 12:44:24 pm »

Congratulations!

Spaghetti7

• Bay Watcher
  • Steam ID: wavy shapes dude
    • View Profile
« Reply #111175 on: August 13, 2013, 01:00:32 pm »

This is my 10,000th post.
Congratulations on crap-ton of shit posting contributions to this wonderful community!
That's nothing. I had something mate with a pile of dead meat.

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #111176 on: August 13, 2013, 01:01:47 pm »

After not having a coffee machine for about two months, I just got a new one last night and made a perfect cup on the first try just a few minutes ago. So satisfying.
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #111177 on: August 13, 2013, 02:56:29 pm »

may be cited in a textbook

oh my fucking what
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

tryrar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #111178 on: August 13, 2013, 03:52:15 pm »

I snagged a 3ds for my b-day (in fact, I'm typing this from it right now!) :D
This fort really does sit on the event horizon of madness and catastrophe
No. I suppose there are similarities, but I'm fairly certain angry birds doesn't let me charge into a battalion of knights with a car made of circular saws.

ggamer

• Bay Watcher
  • Reach Heaven through Violence
    • View Profile
« Reply #111179 on: August 13, 2013, 04:14:56 pm »

may be cited in a textbook

oh my fucking what

HFS

congratulations, 1000 times congratulations, that sounds pretty fuckin' cool.

If you don't mind me asking, in what textbook was this quote located?
Pages: 1 ... 7410 7411 [7412] 7413 7414 ... 13310