Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7575 7576 [7577] 7578 7579 ... 13312

Author Topic: [MILK] There were 12 eggs here what did you do with them? (Happy thread?!)  (Read 14562053 times)

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
Re: [ლ( ლ)] He comes (Happy thread)
« Reply #113640 on: September 28, 2013, 04:42:15 pm »

Well, retroviral injection is probably a little bit different from what Descan had in mind.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #113641 on: September 28, 2013, 04:43:51 pm »

Well, retroviral injection is probably a little bit different from what Descan had in mind.
Descan didn't want to do anything involving telomeres. He was going for the man-in-a-can approach.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #113642 on: September 28, 2013, 04:44:55 pm »

True. It's more of a philosophical point at any rate. My goal-method is a gradual change of neurons or semi-large brain structures to an artificial analog, while the patient is awake (nano-particles that wrap the neuron, destroy it, and replace it? Connecting the new piece to the brain before excising the old piece?), to best combat the idea that "I am not the same person I was when I came in," because they'd have no "memory loss" associated with unconsciousnesses, or being asleep.

After the brain has been replaced in this way, moving the brain, upgrading it with additional structures or neurons, or adding a radio-transceiver to allow avatars of other bodies should be much easier. Comparatively.
Remember when we had a big argument about this about the continuity thing? I remember that. I still think I was right.
Still, I see no reason to have just an artificial brain, since there's a lot of human bodyparts that would give out first. You'd be better off replacing some other things like livers or hearts or maybe even individual mitochondria.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #113643 on: September 28, 2013, 04:46:31 pm »

I kinda like Descan's idea of gradual brain replacement. Something done over time where the artificial components slowly replace organic ones while maintaining the same functions sounds better than some abrupt mind-transfer technique, and opens fewer cans of worms philosophically as it is essentially what your body already does anyway.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #113644 on: September 28, 2013, 04:52:28 pm »

True. It's more of a philosophical point at any rate. My goal-method is a gradual change of neurons or semi-large brain structures to an artificial analog, while the patient is awake (nano-particles that wrap the neuron, destroy it, and replace it? Connecting the new piece to the brain before excising the old piece?), to best combat the idea that "I am not the same person I was when I came in," because they'd have no "memory loss" associated with unconsciousnesses, or being asleep.

After the brain has been replaced in this way, moving the brain, upgrading it with additional structures or neurons, or adding a radio-transceiver to allow avatars of other bodies should be much easier. Comparatively.
Remember when we had a big argument about this about the continuity thing? I remember that. I still think I was right.
Still, I see no reason to have just an artificial brain, since there's a lot of human bodyparts that would give out first. You'd be better off replacing some other things like livers or hearts or maybe even individual mitochondria.
When did I say anything about "just an artificial brain"?

In fact, I said quite the opposite when I said "a durable brain in a hard, sturdy shell interacting with the world through [replaceable] avatars".

@Telomeres: Just because my end-goal is man-in-a-can, doesn't mean that telomere shortening isn't an issue in the short-run. Millions if not billions of people will die from aging related illnesses that anti-aging could fix between now and when we have a viable, long-term "consciousness storage" method. I just, personally, want to work on the long-term solution, both because that's my main goal and because I don't see others focusing on a continuity-retaining method, instead aiming for a "one-shot brain upload and then squishy-brain destruction" method, which sounds incredibly dangerous to me.

@Sirus: Danke herr Trucker~
« Last Edit: September 28, 2013, 04:55:39 pm by Descan »
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #113645 on: September 28, 2013, 04:54:28 pm »

Bought a bottle of milk from my building's vending machine. Saw it didn't expire until late November, and sure enough, it is marked ultrapasteurized. That may not seem like much to you Euroforumites, but I've been waiting for American milk producers to start using this for a while now.
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #113646 on: September 28, 2013, 04:57:24 pm »

Well pasteurized is better than that other thing that makes it taste like arse.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #113647 on: September 28, 2013, 04:57:56 pm »

When did I say anything about "just an artificial brain"?

In fact, I said quite the opposite when I said "a durable brain in a hard, sturdy shell interacting with the world through [replaceable] avatars".
Well, making a neurone analogue is probably significantly harder than replacing some other, shorter-lasting bodyparts.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #113648 on: September 28, 2013, 04:58:50 pm »

Other thing?
No Gods, No Masters.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #113649 on: September 28, 2013, 04:59:31 pm »

@Grak: See my edit. :P
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #113650 on: September 28, 2013, 05:01:36 pm »

Other thing?
Sterilised milk. Urgh, that shit should be illegal.

(at least, that's how it called here, for all I care one could be a variant of the other, but there definitely is a taste difference)

Furtuka

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of Mecha
    • View Profile
« Reply #113651 on: September 28, 2013, 05:01:44 pm »

Managed to snag the last Gundam Cherudim Designer Edition kit they had in stock~
It's FEF, not FEOF

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #113652 on: September 28, 2013, 05:01:58 pm »

people have vending machines for milk installed in their apartment buildings

milk, of all things. milk. i've seen vending machines which sold umbrellas in an area where there was rain for 40 days a year tops but not even in the most urban of places nobody had that sort of idea yet

* LordSlowpoke notes "gross undersaturation of vending machine market" in the "shit to blow invest excess dosh in" notebook

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #113653 on: September 28, 2013, 05:03:45 pm »

Immortality, you say? I support this.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #113654 on: September 28, 2013, 05:04:17 pm »

Other thing?
Sterilised milk. Urgh, that shit should be illegal.
But pasteurization is sterilization. (And ultrapasteurization even more so than that.)
people have vending machines for milk installed in their apartment buildings
It's a college dorm, not a normal apartment buildings, and it doesn't just sell milk. It sells all sorts of refrigerated goods, pre-made sandwiches, microwavable things, ect.
* LordSlowpoke notes "gross undersaturation of vending machine market" in the "shit to blow invest excess dosh in" notebook
Whatever you do, don't try it in Japan. They're the vending kings.
Immortality, you say? I support this.
You don't count, you're not even traditionally alive unless the stars are right.
No Gods, No Masters.
Pages: 1 ... 7575 7576 [7577] 7578 7579 ... 13312