Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7578 7579 [7580] 7581 7582 ... 13312

Author Topic: [MILK] There were 12 eggs here what did you do with them? (Happy thread?!)  (Read 14562152 times)

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: [ლ( ლ)] He comes (Happy thread)
« Reply #113685 on: September 28, 2013, 11:23:49 pm »

you keep using that word, i'm not sure whenever you know what it means or the definition changed when i weren't looking

identity theft is a pretty serious issue though. did you even see the link i posted earlier? i'd only need your ssn to go nuts and buy you a thousand kitchen sinks

by which i mean, don't put your ssn anywhere like some idiots people like to

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #113686 on: September 29, 2013, 12:05:09 am »

Pfft, I've posted links to my resume on here, complete with its contact info. And where I work. And where I've lived in the past. And yet I haven't had so much as a phone call. :P

Really though, if you tried hard, you could probably compile a decent dossier on anyone with over 1000 posts in GD. At least sufficient to find them by cross-referencing data points and a bit of google-fu. I suspect it would take no more than half a week to do so for one person. It's just that the only ones who care are the NSA, and that's only because their system is fully automated, hehehe.

It really doesn't become an issue until you have a devoted fanbase. Sufficiently devoted fans are indistiguishable from loonies, and could be liable to do anything; which is why game dev companies typically have security at the office.

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
  • Baal's More Evil American Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #113687 on: September 29, 2013, 12:42:04 am »

What, you're saying that we aren't interesting people worth impersonating?  :P

No, I'm saying that, judging by the fact we're posting in this part of this forum, we are OBVIOUSLY not rich, OBVIOUSLY not concerned with getting rich, and CLEARLY have amazing taste, therefore we are not suitable targets for identity theft.

Also, Bay12 automatically censors SSNs. Watch. xxx-xx-xxxx

((But seriously don't fucking put your SSN here. Please. I was just kidding, it does NOT censor your SSN.))
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #113688 on: September 29, 2013, 02:08:33 am »

If you asked politely enough, or challenged me to a duel, I'd probably just give you my name. I mean, my location and occupation are already in other posts (as is my first name, honestly,) but then I wouldn't get to watch you cry when you find out that my credit score is something like 300, and stealing my identity is completely pointless as you couldn't open up any credit cards in my name to commit fraud with.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #113689 on: September 29, 2013, 02:10:40 am »

If you asked politely enough, or challenged me to a duel, I'd probably just give you my name. I mean, my location and occupation are already in other posts (as is my first name, honestly,) but then I wouldn't get to watch you cry when you find out that my credit score is something like 300, and stealing my identity is completely pointless as you couldn't open up any credit cards in my name to commit fraud with.
Inb4 someone on the Internet founds a multinational corporation under your fake identity and then scams it away from you, all for the 'lulz'.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

NobodyPro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #113690 on: September 29, 2013, 04:19:49 am »

$10 from having a new computer. It's so close.

The Darkling Wolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Arf!
    • View Profile
    • Cataclysm - Dark Days Ahead
« Reply #113691 on: September 29, 2013, 05:15:07 am »

I ate the rest already
My cabbages!
[Thunderfury, Blessed Blade of the Windseeker]

I am fat, eating is my great joy.

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #113692 on: September 29, 2013, 05:40:33 am »

The way this thread turned out in response to Descan's post makes me very happy. For some reason, most people are naturally resistant to the idea that not dying is awesome. Then again, Bay12 is most definitely not most people.

Aaaaalso, it's not as simple as just telomeres. And if anything, yes, plants have identical biochemistry to animals except for the whole photosynthesis thing. The differences start higher up. Telomeres are a part of the answer - they demonstrably shorten with age, their removal provably causes many symptoms of old age and once the mice who had their telomeres removed, once they were given telomerase (an enzyme that lengthens telomeres, humans produce negligible amounts of it), effectively de-aged.

There's another thing, namely that most types of cancer rely on the gene that encodes telomerase production (hTERT gene) activation, otherwise the cancer cells would start dying out after a number of divisions - but that means if we would activate hTERT in humans, we risk helping out cancer by taking care of one of the key mutations, or maybe the lengthened telomeres would take care of that. Who knows.

But, it has also been proved that some parts of the damage associated with the symptoms of old age is unrelated to telomerase - for example, there are also mitochondria, which suffer from accumulation of byproducts (AGEs, the acronym is completely accidental), responsible for example for diabetes, and DNA damage - because mitochondria have their own set of DNA (which doesn't have telomeres, because it is circular like bacterial DNA).

Sooooo, there's still some work to be done.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #113693 on: September 29, 2013, 07:15:42 am »

Not dying just brings sooooo many problems with it. It may be awesome, but overpopulation and social consequences and aghaghgahaghagha

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #113694 on: September 29, 2013, 07:26:41 am »

Not dying just brings sooooo many problems with it. It may be awesome, but overpopulation and social consequences and aghaghgahaghagha
Condoms, man. Condomes are the key to eternal pleasure.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #113695 on: September 29, 2013, 07:36:32 am »

Meh. Living forever would be worth whatever unpleasant things overpopulation would bring, imo.

Best case scenario would of course be that only I live forever :P

Blargityblarg

• Bay Watcher
  • rolypolyrolypolyrolypoly
    • View Profile
« Reply #113696 on: September 29, 2013, 07:45:55 am »

Bought me a second monitor from a mate (who happens to be a minor Youtube celebrity, woop woop) so now I'm running a dual monitor setup and I'm even sortakindaalmost used to it by now!~
Blossom of orange
Shit, nothing rhymes with orange
Wait, haikus don't rhyme

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #113697 on: September 29, 2013, 07:57:54 am »

Best case scenario would of course be that only I live forever :P
There can only be one.

Ultimuh

• Bay Watcher
  • BOOM! Avatar gone! (for now)
    • View Profile
« Reply #113698 on: September 29, 2013, 07:59:17 am »

As I christian, I should not fear death.
However, I am afraid that I would not achieve all that I wanted to achieve in one lifetime.
So for me, immortality would be something to look forward to.
At least until I have left a legacy of myself, something which people would remember me for.

And now I sound like some kind of villain. :p

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #113699 on: September 29, 2013, 08:42:24 am »

As I christian, I should not fear death.
You sort of should, since being dead is still the limit where you can actually affect things. You may well live forever, but it's a forever doing things different to what you compare about now.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑
Pages: 1 ... 7578 7579 [7580] 7581 7582 ... 13312