Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7579 7580 [7581] 7582 7583 ... 13312

Author Topic: [MILK] There were 12 eggs here what did you do with them? (Happy thread?!)  (Read 14559559 times)

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
Re: [ლ( ლ)] He comes (Happy thread)
« Reply #113700 on: September 29, 2013, 08:44:10 am »

Aside from the usual survival instincts, I don't have any particular fear of death. While it would be nice to leave behind some sort of legacy, once I'm gone, it won't really matter, will it?

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #113701 on: September 29, 2013, 09:02:22 am »

Aside from the usual survival instincts, I don't have any particular fear of death. While it would be nice to leave behind some sort of legacy, once I'm gone, it won't really matter, will it?
A legacy is a selfless parting wish for those with life left to live, so it does matter in many ways to leave something worth living with.

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #113702 on: September 29, 2013, 09:15:43 am »

Well, it doesn't matter for me. Because I'll be dead.

But yes, it does matter for those I leave behind.

I have a personal life philosophy that everyone should endeavor to make the world a better place to live in for whoever comes after them. If I die having done that, then I will be happy.

PanH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #113703 on: September 29, 2013, 09:17:59 am »

then I will be happy.
No. You will be dead  :P

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #113704 on: September 29, 2013, 09:27:13 am »

I will be happy for a brief moment in time before my death.

Facekillz058

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text!
    • View Profile
« Reply #113705 on: September 29, 2013, 09:34:57 am »

Or you'll be like,
"Oh fuck I'm dying help me."
(づ◕◕)づ・。*。✧・゜゜・。✧。*・゜゜・✧。・­¬¬¬¬¬¬¬゜゜・。*。・゜*✧・。*。✧

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #113706 on: September 29, 2013, 09:44:15 am »

Or you'll be like,
"Oh fuck I'm dying help me."

i dunno, some have described death as an overall semi-pleasant experience other than all the cold and loss of sense of self

but then most of these have died of horribly pain-inducing illnesses so it might have come as a relief. i know nothing.

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #113707 on: September 29, 2013, 10:25:50 am »

Death isn't scary, I've been dead for over 13.7 billion years, and it hasn't hurt me any. :P

However, death is a big disappointment. Death means I will miss all the cool stuff that keeps happening afterwards; humanity spreading life out into the cosmos, alien intelligences whose evolutionary past makes them more incomprehensible than a creature from Lovecraft, even just basic changes in society and the way we live. I want to learn about those things and how they happen. And yet I can't any more than I can follow the events in the life of one particular dinosaur. Sure, I'll be able to see some damn cool things in my lifetime; the real start of human spaceflight and colonization efforts, probably the creation of the first Strong AI... but I won't be able to see the rest of this grand story. And just when it was getting really good, too!

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #113708 on: September 29, 2013, 10:31:22 am »

Death isn't scary, I've been dead for over 13.7 billion years, and it hasn't hurt me any. :P

However, death is a big disappointment. Death means I will miss all the cool stuff that keeps happening afterwards; humanity spreading life out into the cosmos, alien intelligences whose evolutionary past makes them more incomprehensible than a creature from Lovecraft, even just basic changes in society and the way we live. I want to learn about those things and how they happen. And yet I can't any more than I can follow the events in the life of one particular dinosaur. Sure, I'll be able to see some damn cool things in my lifetime; the real start of human spaceflight and colonization efforts, probably the creation of the first Strong AI... but I won't be able to see the rest of this grand story. And just when it was getting really good, too!
That's exactly how I feel too :/

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #113709 on: September 29, 2013, 10:38:02 am »

Sometimes I wonder if I was born in this period because humanity is just starting to get really good, and I'll live to see immortality.

Or if I manage to do something, like, really fucking awesome, so awesome that my mind and memories are copied to be used as teaching materials for my life in some weird fucking future school, and right now I'm actually some bored 15 year old future student studying for an exam, and when I die I'll get back those memories of that student.
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #113710 on: September 29, 2013, 10:39:15 am »

Sometimes I wonder if I was born in this period because humanity is just starting to get really good, and I'll live to see immortality.

Or if I manage to do something, like, really fucking awesome, so awesome that my mind and memories are copied to be used as teaching materials for my life in some weird fucking future school, and right now I'm actually some bored 15 year old future student studying for an exam, and when I die I'll get back those memories of that student.
Wat.
You mean that this iteration of yourself is actually just the playback from some fancy brain-cassette player?
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #113711 on: September 29, 2013, 10:40:52 am »

More or less, yes. I have no way to tell, and except the anthropic principle there's no real reason for me to be me, for me to see out of the eyes that I currently do, and not one of the other 100 billion humans who have ever lived.
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #113712 on: September 29, 2013, 10:43:44 am »

You weren't dead, you didn't exist at all. It's kinda like saying being robbed doesn't scare you - you didn't have money for 13.7 billion years either. Also, a gift of 5000$ might leave a CEO unfazed and a person living in poverty dancing in joy. It's the difference, not the state that matters.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #113713 on: September 29, 2013, 10:48:41 am »

More or less, yes. I have no way to tell, and except the anthropic principle there's no real reason for me to be me, for me to see out of the eyes that I currently do, and not one of the other 100 billion humans who have ever lived.
Only because you still insist that continuity is a thing

But for what it's worth, if your memories were immortalised in a recording, I think people would probably focus more on the bits relating to whatever important thing you did.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #113714 on: September 29, 2013, 11:05:22 am »

The only evidence I have of continuity is what I see with my own brain.

Thankfully, since continuity is entirely to do with the brain, that's all the evidence I really need!

Anyway, that's probably true, but for all I know this moment is just a memory encoded for the moments that people actually relive. When that time comes around, if ever, all I'll know about this moment is the memory I have of it. I won't be able to know if I actually lived it or if it was just encoded.
Pages: 1 ... 7579 7580 [7581] 7582 7583 ... 13312