Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7928 7929 [7930] 7931 7932 ... 13312

Author Topic: [MILK] There were 12 eggs here what did you do with them? (Happy thread?!)  (Read 14547518 times)

kisame12794

• Bay Watcher
  • !!Arc Welder!!
    • View Profile
Re: [(•ω•)] U wot m8 (happy thread?!)
« Reply #118935 on: January 03, 2014, 07:55:12 pm »

Thanks for the interest guys! Okay, I'll answer the questions in order. I started with a bar of one inch diameter round stock, which I pounded down into a billet a half inch thick, and an inch and a quarter wide. Tools wise I use the standard hammer and anvil, and assorted other bits and bobs I make for one job and promptly forget the purpose of after the job is done. My forge is just a homemade metal table and hood with a brake drum set into it, with an old bathroom fan as a blower. The hood is to catch the smoke and other toxic crap that's made as a side effect of burning coal and metal. For fuel I use bituminous coal, the reason being it's relatively cheap(about eighty bucks a bag, and the bags are eighty pounds. I get it at my local hardware store, but I have to buy in bulk to Make it worth their while.), doesn't need any special storage, and it cokes. Coke is what I use to actually heat the metal, and I make it by burning coal, which gets rid of all the sulfur and other impurities that would otherwise poison your metal. Yes poison it. As the metal heats up, it absorbs some of the impurities which translates into weakened metal. Coke has very few impurities, often being almost pure carbon, which burns clean, which is nice because it sucks to blow your nose after a forging session and have your snot come out black as.. well, coal. Artistic material is all in my head. Gonna be a plain sword, not too much decoration as I am planning on sticking it in a large stone out front and laughing as people try and yank it out. As for the skills, I was lucky and was able to volunteer at a local museum as a demonstrator in their heritage village. Most of what I know came from the master blacksmith there, the rest was from watching other smiths at meetups and trial and error on my part. If you want to learn yourself, google search Ontario Artists Blacksmiths Association if you live in Ontario, or the Artist Blacksmiths Association of North America for North America. Other wise, just google search for blacksmiths in your area. Some may offer courses, and if you're nice others may agree to teach you. But really, all it boils down to are: Get the metal hotter than hell, and beat it with a hammer. There are many different interpretations of this, but those are the basics. Oh, and another tip if you want to start working with metal: Galvanized metal and heat DO NOT MIX. The zinc in the galvanization burns and creates some seriously toxic fumes. Hope this helps, and feel free to either PM me any more questions or head here for more serious inquiries.
The non-assholes vastly outnumber the assholes but the assholes can fart with greater volume.
((You're an arm and a torso in low orbit. This was the best possible resolution of things.))

Ultimuh

• Bay Watcher
  • BOOM! Avatar gone! (for now)
    • View Profile
« Reply #118936 on: January 03, 2014, 08:53:52 pm »

That's a mighty fine wall of text you got there.

Execute/Dumbo.exe

• Bay Watcher
  • Never Types So Much As Punches The Keyboard
    • View Profile
« Reply #118937 on: January 03, 2014, 08:57:39 pm »

It's a good wall, I'll give you, *ding* *ding*, solid too, you going to use this in your smelting as well?

Bbt seriously, that's really interesting, but I doubt I would ever try and make a sword, I would be made out of cuts and burns by the time I would have finished.
He knows how to fix River's tiredness.
Alan help.
IronyOwl   But Kyuubey can more or less be summed up as "You didn't ask."
15:52   IronyOwl   Whereas Dungbeetle is closer to "Fuck you."

kisame12794

• Bay Watcher
  • !!Arc Welder!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #118938 on: January 03, 2014, 09:00:16 pm »

All part of being a smith. I've charred my thumb, sliced two of my fingers nearly to the bone, and had countless burns, blisters, and melted fingertips in my six years of smithing.
The non-assholes vastly outnumber the assholes but the assholes can fart with greater volume.
((You're an arm and a torso in low orbit. This was the best possible resolution of things.))

Vorthon

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 50% more pointless rambling!
    • View Profile
« Reply #118939 on: January 03, 2014, 09:23:38 pm »

How... How are your hands still... well, hands?

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #118940 on: January 03, 2014, 09:33:10 pm »

In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Lich180

• Bay Watcher
  • Avatar by PlutoniumApe, "Urist McGuyFieri"
    • View Profile
« Reply #118941 on: January 03, 2014, 09:39:57 pm »

Hail to the king, baby.

My happy is Verizon having a new thing where you can upgrade your phone a year early, and pay the phone off monthly. 60$ today and 25 a month for a brand new phone, when my old one was acting like crap and had battery issues.

SealyStar

• Bay Watcher
  • Gargoyles! Psychics!
    • View Profile
« Reply #118942 on: January 03, 2014, 10:49:21 pm »

I listened to the Jeff Wayne War of the Worlds for the first time in, like, a year. God, it is awesome (but very campy).
I assume it was about cod tendies and an austerity-caused crunch in the supply of good boy points.

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
  • Perge scelus mihi diem perficias.
    • View Profile
« Reply #118943 on: January 03, 2014, 11:05:32 pm »

Mmmmmmmm, chilli / cassia / cocoa / cayenne hot chocolate + muscovado sugar = deliciousness

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #118944 on: January 03, 2014, 11:19:56 pm »

Got a high-tier computer as a Christmas gift today. It at least looks great, anyway, as I can't use it properly yet due to the charging cable not working correctly. I'm torn between trying to fix it and just sending it back, as the former would probably render the latter impossible. As this is the most expensive gift I have ever received in my life, I'd rather not immediately brick it.

In other news, Windows 8 is as badly-designed as everybody says.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Elephant Parade

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #118945 on: January 03, 2014, 11:23:36 pm »

Got a high-tier computer as a Christmas gift today. It at least looks great, anyway, as I can't use it properly yet due to the charging cable not working correctly. I'm torn between trying to fix it and just sending it back, as the former would probably render the latter impossible. As this is the most expensive gift I have ever received in my life, I'd rather not immediately brick it.

Agreed. It looks nice, but there are so many things wrong with it.

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #118946 on: January 03, 2014, 11:50:45 pm »

Aaaand server has CPU usage graphs now too v:

link for the interested though probably no-one is q_q

bay12 lower boards IRC:irc.darkmyst.org @ #bay12lb
"Oh, they never lie. They dissemble, evade, prevaricate, confoud, confuse, distract, obscure, subtly misrepresent and willfully misunderstand with what often appears to be a positively gleeful relish ... but they never lie" -- Look To Windward

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #118947 on: January 04, 2014, 12:17:14 am »

It's interesting to me.  I've always had a thing for graphs, even when I don't have much context.

I've always somehow managed to have the crap versions of windows.  Windows ME,  Windows Vista, and now Windows 8.  I have always succeeded in beating them into a not annoying, useful state.

Windows 8 so far is the exception, I've managed to get it mostly behaving, with a 3rd party start menu and a little tinkering, but it still manages to surprise me now and then. With stuff like 'Windows 8 is going to shut down and restart in 5 minutes wether you like it or not'.  I quashed that particular rebellion with the strategic assassination of a windows update process.

But whenever the word rebellion can be used to describe something happening on a person's personal computer, something has been designed very very wrong.  Windows 8 is evil.

Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #118948 on: January 04, 2014, 01:21:06 am »

Ahahaha
I can't stop watching Red Wedding reaction vids.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #118949 on: January 04, 2014, 02:36:06 am »

I'm being sent recruitment emails from a school that's been ranked as the top business school in Europe o_O
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".
Pages: 1 ... 7928 7929 [7930] 7931 7932 ... 13312