Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 10457 10458 [10459] 10460 10461 ... 13312

Author Topic: [MILK] There were 12 eggs here what did you do with them? (Happy thread?!)  (Read 14554836 times)

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile

DONE WITH FINALS! Summmmmmmeeeeerrrrrrrr!!!!! :))
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

KingofstarrySkies

• Bay Watcher
  • It's been a long time...
    • View Profile

i hate you
Sigtextastic
Vereor Nox.
There'll be another King, another sky, and a billion more stars...

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile

Don't worry KoSS; we all resent you for the things you have that we want, too. Jealousy is the most powerful force in modern western society.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile

According to capitalists, anyhow. Personally I'd bet on gullibility.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G

I'm in favour of compound interest.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile

Capitalists think compound interest; AnCaps think jealousy.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile

I think random shit is more powerful than both of them combined.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile

AnCaps are anarchists in the same sense that Stalin was a Marxist. They're merely capitalists who think they can rig the market more effectively without buying out whatever state happens to regulate it; they don't actually want anarchy, just a type of order which removes a chunk of the transitional layers between money and power. Note, in particular, that they don't reject the existence of organized militaries, police forces, courts, or even laws, just that they don't have sole control over them.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile

Hey, Stalin /was/ a Marxist! Not a particularly appealing one, but he did take the ideology seriously.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I think he took the lip service seriously. The same as guys who quoted Jesus to justify the crusades.

The idea of a central dictator makind decisions for everyone else isn't really in line with the concept of workers being in control.

Levi

• Bay Watcher
  • Is a fish.
    • View Profile

I went into a liquor store to buy some beer and vodka.  The guy at the till says "Hey, I know you aren't 19 but my boss is in the back so can I get ID?".   I give it to him and he sees that I'm 34 and says "Holy fuck".  I pick up the vodka and say "Its all that clean living!". 
Avid Gamer | Goldfish Enthusiast | Canadian | Professional Layabout

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile

Slept for 5 hours already today, settling down for a good night of Twitter arguments. Oh boy.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile

This is going to be the third most stressful cakeday weekend of my life, after that time my dad died and that other time I was agonizingly recovering from surgery. Perhaps unsurprisingly, I'm a lot happier about stress when it's something I more or less signed up for (a take-home final exam, in this case).
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile

AnCaps are anarchists in the same sense that Stalin was a Marxist. They're merely capitalists who think they can rig the market more effectively without buying out whatever state happens to regulate it; they don't actually want anarchy, just a type of order which removes a chunk of the transitional layers between money and power. Note, in particular, that they don't reject the existence of organized militaries, police forces, courts, or even laws, just that they don't have sole control over them.
Well, either I'd either replace the first comparison with, oh, let's say mutualists (in the Proudhonian tradition) or the latter with Communists.  AnCaps are anarchists and Stalin was a Communist, but anarcho-capitalism is its own distinct school from most other conventional schools of anarchism in the same sense that Stalinism can be distinguished from Marxism.  And, in the same sense between the black or red schools of the left, you end up with "true believers" who immediately try to say "that's not *real* X" because it doesn't jibe with their own particular dialectical school of thought that, in its extremes, becomes almost Pythonesque (fitting, considering the infamous scene I refer to was in fact inspired by actual debates in the far left circles).  Indeed, I think by your statements that they don't reject that list of things that you're confusing them, at least in part, with minarchy (basically paring down the government to the bare minimum); anarcho-capitalists consider the state in itself as a coercive monopoly.  It's basically anarchy when you approach it from an extreme libertarian, rather than an extreme social (that is, in the sense of reciprocity and the exchange between equals) context. 

Actually, apparently Proudhon was also a proponent of a limited state as well (to ensure worker's rights, rather than property rights), so minarchism does have a long history in the anarchist movement in general.  I did not know that before compiling this post; learn something every day, I suppose. ^_^

EDIT:
Whoopsie, this is the Happy thread.  Political debates are not happy.  Political debates are the exact opposite of happy.  I'll be going, now. 
« Last Edit: May 07, 2015, 08:07:45 pm by Culise »

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.
Pages: 1 ... 10457 10458 [10459] 10460 10461 ... 13312