Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 10458 10459 [10460] 10461 10462 ... 13310

Author Topic: [MILK] There were 12 eggs here what did you do with them? (Happy thread?!)  (Read 14376122 times)

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile

AnCaps are anarchists in the same sense that Stalin was a Marxist. They're merely capitalists who think they can rig the market more effectively without buying out whatever state happens to regulate it; they don't actually want anarchy, just a type of order which removes a chunk of the transitional layers between money and power. Note, in particular, that they don't reject the existence of organized militaries, police forces, courts, or even laws, just that they don't have sole control over them.
Well, either I'd either replace the first comparison with, oh, let's say mutualists (in the Proudhonian tradition) or the latter with Communists.  AnCaps are anarchists and Stalin was a Communist, but anarcho-capitalism is its own distinct school from most other conventional schools of anarchism in the same sense that Stalinism can be distinguished from Marxism.  And, in the same sense between the black or red schools of the left, you end up with "true believers" who immediately try to say "that's not *real* X" because it doesn't jibe with their own particular dialectical school of thought that, in its extremes, becomes almost Pythonesque (fitting, considering the infamous scene I refer to was in fact inspired by actual debates in the far left circles).  Indeed, I think by your statements that they don't reject that list of things that you're confusing them, at least in part, with minarchy (basically paring down the government to the bare minimum); anarcho-capitalists consider the state in itself as a coercive monopoly.  It's basically anarchy when you approach it from an extreme libertarian, rather than an extreme social (that is, in the sense of reciprocity and the exchange between equals) context. 

Actually, apparently Proudhon was also a proponent of a limited state as well (to ensure worker's rights, rather than property rights), so minarchism does have a long history in the anarchist movement in general.  I did not know that before compiling this post; learn something every day, I suppose. ^_^

EDIT:
Whoopsie, this is the Happy thread.  Political debates are not happy.  Political debates are the exact opposite of happy.  I'll be going, now.

Ah, you're correct on the edit, of course, but I was more shooting for "espousing an ideology which one does not practice as a form of propaganda." The dictatorship of the proletariat must actually be of the proletariat, not of some dude who claims to represent them. AnCaps are neither anarchistic literally (they fail primarily in that the system and actors they want are not inclined towards voluntary individual participation or the lack thereof -- the desire to be the ruling class does not equate to supporting individualism), nor (unlike anarcho-syndicalists) in terms of the underlying values and goals of their ideology (which in that example are fundamentally democratic and need-oriented rather than anti-democratic and profit-oriented, though I suppose you could argue that it's just as anti-individualistic, albeit in a less socially damaging way).

But yes, I'll shut up as well. :P

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

ggamer

• Bay Watcher
  • Reach Heaven through Violence
    • View Profile

done with finals

sleep now

Spehss _

• Bay Watcher
  • full of stars
    • View Profile

Quote from: devlog
If the sparrow man bard visiting the fortress wrote a ballad about his experiences, would he set a lighter mood and sing about how all of the guests took their clothes off and held them in bundles while the dwarven fish cleaner recounted the tale of how the first dwarven queen came to power?

This just in, a new DF custom is for audiences to strip naked while listening to stories. More at 11. This is a bug.
Steam ID: Spehss Cat
Turns out you can seriously not notice how deep into this shit you went until you get out.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile

It should probably still be an option ;P
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile

The Skyrim courier conveys a message artistically...
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

flame99

• Bay Watcher
  • Lady Stardust & her songs of darkness and disgrace
    • View Profile

He's just delivering a package.
It/its, they/them, in order of preference.

Not gay as in happy, queer as in fuck you.

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile

"Your hands only"

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

Lightningfalcon

• Bay Watcher
  • Target locked. Firing main cannon.
    • View Profile

Must be a pretty big one if he had to empty his inventory of all those heavy clothes to carry it.
Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum circo vincendarum
W-we just... wanted our...
Actually most of the people here explicitly wanted chaos and tragedy. So. Uh.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G

Must be a pretty big one if he had to empty his inventory of all those heavy clothes to carry it.
"Your hands only"

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
hnnnnnnnnnnnng
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Lightningfalcon

• Bay Watcher
  • Target locked. Firing main cannon.
    • View Profile

Come on, you know you want to grab it from him, just to see what it is if nothing else. 
Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum circo vincendarum
W-we just... wanted our...
Actually most of the people here explicitly wanted chaos and tragedy. So. Uh.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile

Come on, you know you want to grab it from him, just to see what it is if nothing else.
I already know what it is.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

94dima94

• Bay Watcher
  • For !!SCIENCE!!
    • View Profile

I already know what it is.

Thank you for this, I need this GIF; probably more than I should... oh, well.
The worst enemy you'll ever meet is the little voice that says Hey, this would be a cool/awesome/funny thing to do!/I wonder what happens if...
"Rock needs a nerf! Paper is just fine, IMO." - The Scissors.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile

Now try it when you're carefully sneaking through a dungeon, you haven't seen any enemies yet but that makes you more wary and the ambient noise is really setting you on edge, and suddenly the camera whirls around to show you a naked courier just as you were about to creep around a pressure plate.
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

94dima94

• Bay Watcher
  • For !!SCIENCE!!
    • View Profile
The worst enemy you'll ever meet is the little voice that says Hey, this would be a cool/awesome/funny thing to do!/I wonder what happens if...
"Rock needs a nerf! Paper is just fine, IMO." - The Scissors.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile

I think I might actually have found a Homestuck song that I am capable of playing.

(this was my third go-through of the first half of the cello part on electric bass, so sloppiness is because practice)

(original for comparison)
« Last Edit: May 08, 2015, 03:47:23 am by Putnam »
Pages: 1 ... 10458 10459 [10460] 10461 10462 ... 13310