Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 10899 10900 [10901] 10902 10903 ... 13312

Author Topic: [MILK] There were 12 eggs here what did you do with them? (Happy thread?!)  (Read 14555604 times)

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
Re: [🎺💀🎺] Nuclear donuts, advise countering with vampires (Happy thread)
« Reply #163500 on: October 06, 2015, 12:48:27 pm »

I wonder how that satellite design works against the push from the wind it is catching. That's honestly one of the big problems you run into with "capture the solar wind" ideas, the fact that the solar wind actually exerts a physical pressure, so if you don't provide some sort of counterforce to it (be that through rocket fuel burning or whatever) then your satellite won't be able to remain in a stationary location and thus will slip out of alignment.
You put it deeper in the gravity well, so that the extra push is just enough to keep it in a stable orbit.

(that's orbit around the Sun, so for Earth applications this limits it to Lagrangian points)

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #163501 on: October 06, 2015, 12:53:51 pm »

That makes sense, though since that would require you going rather closer to the sun it probably make the idea of power transmission a fair bit more difficult I would think (since if you put it on the far side of the earth then it would end up always being sheltered by the Earth from the very wind you were trying to harness).
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Avis-Mergulus

• Bay Watcher
  • This adorable animal can't work.
    • View Profile
« Reply #163502 on: October 06, 2015, 12:55:46 pm »

Yessss. I just finished more than three hours of fucking annoying Praat markup (it's a thing for an audio corpus where text transcript fragments have to be mapped to the actual audio) and I am so free. I swear if I see another goddamn textgrid anywhere I'm gonna flip.
It's just that sort of tedious as hell work that can't be done by a robot, so they use an undergrad student to do it. And I just so happened to be the student in question. But no longer am I their slave, I say!
“See this Payam!” cried the gods, “He deceives us! He cruelly abuses our lustful hearts!”

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #163503 on: October 06, 2015, 01:10:49 pm »

That makes sense, though since that would require you going rather closer to the sun it probably make the idea of power transmission a fair bit more difficult I would think (since if you put it on the far side of the earth then it would end up always being sheltered by the Earth from the very wind you were trying to harness).
Not necessarily - I know there is a type of orbits called Lyapunov orbits used for L2 insertions, that keep the satellites oscillating in a circular fashion, where the plane of the circle is perpendicular to the direction to Earth. Depending on the amplitude of the oscillations, you can make the satellite stay clear of the shadow.
There are, after all, solar-powered satellites in L2.

However, if that's solar wind and not just solar rays that's supposed to power the thing, then it might get deflected by Earth's magnetic field much farther than the extent of shadow. Or not. I don't know much about this subject, or if you can make a Lyapunov orbit with sufficiently large oscillations for that not to matter.

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
« Reply #163504 on: October 06, 2015, 01:58:45 pm »

A D-H satellite is powered by the electrons in the solar wind, and would need to be located beyond Earth's magnetosphere, but yes, a Lissajous or Lyapunov orbit would maintain a dynamic equilibrium.  Hypothetically, it can maintain its orbit against radiation pressure and the momentum imparted by the manner in which it gathers power (electron deflection; compare to the related electric sail) by engineering it so that the two forces counterbalance against the solar gravity, or by adding a solar sail as well to give it an oscillatory "tack", or by simply via either of the orbital types above.  The major problems seem to be basically two-fold: the first is that we have yet to build a proper statite, and the second is that beamed power over extremely long ranges is trapped, efficiency-wise, by the physical properties of diffraction.  The most practical method is probably not an IR beam straight to the surface as outlined in that link, which runs foul of the inefficiency of a low-wavelength beam and the possibility of Earth shadowing, but rather a microwave (or higher) beam to a HEO transceiver constellation which rebroadcasts to the surface using frequencies that can pass through the atmosphere without being significant absorption such as IR.  There's also solar degradation, which is not inconsiderable by any measure, but satellites like SOHO have continued to function for almost two decades, which suggests that it's not serious enough to consider in the near term. 
« Last Edit: October 06, 2015, 02:02:53 pm by Culise »

KingofstarrySkies

• Bay Watcher
  • It's been a long time...
    • View Profile
« Reply #163505 on: October 06, 2015, 02:41:13 pm »

Prison Architect updated. Update just finished. EEEEEEE
Sigtextastic
Vereor Nox.
There'll be another King, another sky, and a billion more stars...

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #163506 on: October 06, 2015, 03:11:24 pm »

I used audacity to make musics ^o^
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #163507 on: October 06, 2015, 05:01:38 pm »

Started my course in Latin today. Quite interesting. Caesar was a Kaiser. Hehe.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #163508 on: October 06, 2015, 05:10:32 pm »

Caesar was a Kaiser.
Wanna hear something fun? Even Germans pronounce Caesar the wrong way.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #163509 on: October 06, 2015, 05:12:28 pm »

Trust me, there's a lot of words in the English language that derive from Latin like that. Despite English being a German language.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Avis-Mergulus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #163510 on: October 06, 2015, 06:33:53 pm »

Caesar was a Kaiser.
The Russian word "Czar" is also derived from Caesar, if we're doing Fun Caesar Facts Monday.
“See this Payam!” cried the gods, “He deceives us! He cruelly abuses our lustful hearts!”

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #163511 on: October 06, 2015, 06:49:03 pm »

Caesar was a Kaiser.
The Russian word "Czar" is also derived from Caesar, if we're doing Fun Caesar Facts Monday.
I believe the comment was not about the origins, but about the pronunciation. The modern pronunciation of Caesar differs from the one likely used by Romans at his time, which was very similar to how Kaiser sounds.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #163512 on: October 06, 2015, 07:12:58 pm »

Caesar salad is not of Roman origin.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #163513 on: October 06, 2015, 07:15:30 pm »

... I'm pretty sure there's a terrible joke disagreeing with that statement that involves virgin olives, somewhere in there.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Avis-Mergulus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #163514 on: October 06, 2015, 07:48:43 pm »

Caesar was a Kaiser.
I believe the comment was not about the origins, but about the pronunciation. The modern pronunciation of Caesar differs from the one likely used by Romans at his time, which was very similar to how Kaiser sounds.
Oh, comparative linguistics. Sorry, I understand, I just felt like Caesar Fun Facts Monday.
Pages: 1 ... 10899 10900 [10901] 10902 10903 ... 13312