Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 12008 12009 [12010] 12011 12012 ... 13312

Author Topic: [MILK] There were 12 eggs here what did you do with them? (Happy thread?!)  (Read 14546783 times)

CABL

• Bay Watcher
  • Has a fetish for voring the rich
    • View Profile
Re: [E G G] Egg generation appreciation station (Happy thread)
« Reply #180135 on: February 25, 2017, 07:37:02 am »

I stopped coughing every 15 seconds and I also regained my appetite. I guess I'm not sick anymore.
Pounded in the Butt by my own Government... oh wait, that's real life.

Much less active than I used to be on these forums, but I still visit them on occasion. Will probably resume my activity in full once Dwarf Fortress will be released on Steam.

AzyWng

• Bay Watcher
  • Just one of many
    • View Profile
« Reply #180136 on: February 25, 2017, 10:08:21 am »

How many five stars you summoned yet? I have 8 at the moment.

Also, play the rest of the games, they're great. Except Gaiden.

Only Takumi and Ephraim. Takumi's the only 5-star I seem to need right now, heh

Also, the reason that Fire Emblem: Heroes got me into the rest of the franchise is because I don't own a DS, and I know for a fact my parents aren't gonna buy one for me.

I mean, I could try emulating, but that would probably qualify as stealing, especially regarding the more recent games.

Twinwolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably hanging around Forum Games and Roleplay
    • View Profile
« Reply #180137 on: February 25, 2017, 10:12:13 am »

I started playing the game yesterday

My first summon included 5* Hinoka and Lyn. My third summon had 5* Hawkeye.
Sigtext!
Of course, Twin is neither man nor woman but an unholy eldritch abomination like every other Bay12er. The difference is they hide it better.
Quote from: Caellath on IRC
<Caellath>: Twinwolf, your thirst for blood has been noted.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #180138 on: February 25, 2017, 10:19:47 am »

I'm not sure the newest games have been adequately emulated yet anyway. The older games would certainly be easier to get running.
not that I would ever condone a thing like that, of course not
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
  • the first mankind all over the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #180139 on: February 25, 2017, 11:16:35 am »

From what I've seen, everything up to and including New Mystery of the Emblem works fine if your machine is beefy enough.

At the very least, I'd recommend playing Blazing Sword or Sacred Stones.
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #180140 on: February 25, 2017, 11:23:01 am »

There's this bicycle tunnel going from the city center to the university campus.
A graffity artist turned it into the tunnel of silly walks with a series of huge black shadow paintings of John Cleese in various silly walk poses.
Googling it, it turns out that it was officially opened by John Cleese himself last year. Shows how long I haven't taken that particular route.

http://www.ad.nl/binnenland/john-cleese-opent-silly-walks-tunnel-in-eindhoven~a48e9015/

He was surprised at the mass of people that showed up. He expected a few dozen, there were hundreds. I'm not surprised. Monthy Python was huge in the Netherlands back in the days. Every kid generation X and older grew up with it here as much as in Britain.
It astounds me.  I can't learn 2 languages if my life depended on it.  I can barely figure out a few words in spanish.  Yet that article has Mr Cleese speaking in english without subtitles as if everyone in the country understands english perfecly fine, yet the article itself seems to be in some language that contains entirely to many 'z's and 'v's.  How does an entire country perform such wizardry?
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #180141 on: February 25, 2017, 02:01:20 pm »

Decent public schools and not being French, that's all there is to it. Being a small country so there's no synchronised movies in your language helps*, as does having a history as a trading and seafaring nation.

*In Germany for example this would sort of work, but a lot of people wouldn't understand what he was saying.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #180142 on: February 25, 2017, 02:30:43 pm »

It also helps being the language closest to English of all other languages, or so I've heard.
Love, scriver~

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #180143 on: February 25, 2017, 02:41:19 pm »

Dutch, you mean? I wouldn't say it's that similar. German usually feels much closer to me. Dutch has some things that are fairly radically different.

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #180144 on: February 25, 2017, 03:58:44 pm »

I'd wager that some of the creole languages would be closer. Oh, and Scots, too.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #180145 on: February 25, 2017, 05:04:31 pm »

Dutch is both close to english as well as german. Gramatically it's more like english (except the conjugation of verbs). Idiomatically it's more like german. If you go back to the time of Beowulf, the contemporary english and dutch were almost the same.

But yeah, decent schooling. English is mandatory starting at age 9-10. Children who go to the lowest level of highschool get a total of 4 years of mandatory english lessons (2 in primary school, 2 in highschool), plus two years optional, kids who go to the highest level of highschool get 5 years of mandatory english (2 in primary school, 3 in highschool), plus 3 years optional.

A majority of university level education is taught in english as well. If not the classes, then at least the books.

English skill of kids is going down though, ever since the cancerous plague called redubbing. Back in my days, all cartoons were in english, with subtitles. I could understand and speak quite a few words of english before age 9, when we first got it in school. Nowadays, over 75% of cartoons and children movies are redubbed in Dutch. It's horrible. (Not just for the lack of language training, but man, those Dutch voice actors suck balls. Why do they have to make every cartoon sound like it's cutey cutey aww dawg with girly toddler squeaky voices? I mean I guess it works fine for the teletubbies, but for some reason the Dutch cartoon redubbing industry does not comprehend that some cartoons are actually made for children older than 4)

EDIT: it wasn't a gradual process either. At one point, there were no redubbed cartoons, and then suddenly, late 90s - early 2000 at least 50% was redubbed, and at the exact same time children's TV started showing commercials of some fat UK lady selling english lesson videos for kids. It made me stop watching cartoons.
I really could enjoy some cartoons into my twenties, like Eek the Cat (and the terrible thunder lizards). But watching the dutchified version just made my skin crawl.

That being said, I can wholeheartedly recommend watching the German redubbed version of the old A-team series. You will not stop laughing for at least a week, it's just that awesome to hear Hannibal "ich liebe es wenn ein Plan funktioniert" and B.A. speak german.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rAl7ogAH-x0

EDIT2: The Germans started redubbing a decade or two before the Dutch. We used to joke about it. The dutch word for redubbing a video into native language is 'na-synchronisatie', which would literally translate to 'after-synchronisation'. We always mockingly called it 'Nazi-chronisatie', and used to take great pride in our own Dutch tellie not doing that. Damn, were we disappointed.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2017, 05:36:12 pm by martinuzz »
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #180146 on: February 25, 2017, 06:19:14 pm »

Ah, but there's a couple good ones, too. The German redub of Monty Python and the Holy Grail for example contained jokes not present in the original.

'Ich habe den Sachsen das Angeln beigebracht - seitdem heißen sie Angelsachsen!'
The Bay12 postcard club

ein

• Bay Watcher
  • 勝利の女神はここよ~ 早く捕まえてぇ~
    • View Profile
« Reply #180147 on: February 25, 2017, 06:56:42 pm »

danish is actually the closest language to english, fun fact. maybe not from a familial point of view, that probably is dutch, but in terms of ease of learning for a native english speaker

redwallzyl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #180148 on: February 25, 2017, 08:04:22 pm »

isn't the closest language Frisian?

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #180149 on: February 25, 2017, 08:08:57 pm »

Maybe we should first ask whether there's such a distance function on languages...
The Bay12 postcard club
Pages: 1 ... 12008 12009 [12010] 12011 12012 ... 13312