Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 12107 12108 [12109] 12110 12111 ... 13312

Author Topic: [MILK] There were 12 eggs here what did you do with them? (Happy thread?!)  (Read 14552095 times)

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH

I was about to ask the same thing, ninja'd.
I know I could look up "what even is a gurkha" but I want to hear your take.  I think they were in Age of Empires 3, as Indians, but I don't think that tells me anything.
The short story of it all is gurkhas are hard as nails infantry who hail from various Nepalese tribes who inhabit the Nepalese mountains and hills, owing to the high altitude, their familial traditions, their harsh lifestyles and selection process, it's no exaggeration that the worst gurkha soldier is superior to the best elite soldiers of many nations. An English squad that is marching too fast is said to be marching at a normal gurkha pace haha

Their origin traces back 200 years to when the British East India Company invaded Nepal, under the then Gorkha Empire. The British forces would often find that the sentries and garrisons they left behind to guard occupied lands had their throats cut open, because the warriors of the Gorkha were just that good. The British signed a peace deal with the Nepalese which crucially allowed them to employ these soldiers and so begins 200 years of the Gurkha soldiers, wherein they won epic renown and fame through their actions - fighting in every continent outside the Americas, with a list of feats that is too long and extraordinary to summarize. But a taster of some gurkha Victoria Cross recipients would get the right idea across:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
The Gurkhas have a consistent reputation for charging into certain death (sometimes literally doing so) and yet, emerging victorious.
The most recent example of their insane quality is 2010 Afghanistan, where Dipprasad Pun was alone on sentry duty guarding his unit's compound. Taliban fighters, having planted bombs on the compound's gate under the cover of darkness, detonated them and launched the assault from all directions. Dipprasad Pun went under immediate AK-47 and RPG fire, stranded on the roof of his post with no chance of help. After radioing in to his commander that he was under attack, he threw his first grenade at the enemy. Moving from building face to face, firing his machine gun and throwing grenades at every fighter attempting to overrun him, Dipprasad Pun ran out of his 17 grenades and 400 machine gun bullets in minutes, having so ferociously fought on all sides - also detonating a claymore mine. He switched to his rifle and continued the fight; when one Taliban fighter attempted to climb up to the roof of his post, Dipprasad Pun bore his rifle to bear, but due to a malfunction his rifle did not fire. Picking up his machine-gun tripod he threw it at the fighter's face, breaking his skull and causing him to fall backwards. Thus in short, a Gurkha is outnumbered 30 to 1 and surrounded on all sides; it takes him 1 hour to kill them all

Hence the idea that conscripts can run around knocking out gurkhas is side-splitting. To quote one of the yt comments, "I knew a guy who punched a Gurkha once. ONCE."

Could this Yank get some context, please?
Also that video is still equal parts tragic and hilarious.  What a terrible war...  Over oil, apparently?  The occasional memey "translation" breaks the tension a bit.
If it was over war there might've been a point to it. Overall it was a pointless war.
On the Argentinian side, the military junta led by General Galtieri was facing some serious issues regarding popularity at home - the Argentinians were chafing under the dirty war, wherein their friends and family would disappear for being dissidents and never be seen again, coupled with the economic stagnation of Argentina. Galtieri had received suggestions from British MPs that there were British politicians sympathetic to Argentina invading the Falklands, and figured that the British defence secretary's decision to withdraw the only RN ship assigned to the islands was a sign that the UK was not going to respond militarily to any invasion. Moreover, Admiral Jorge Anaya was convinced that the British reputation was undeserved, that the Falklands had to be annexed by Argentina, that its annexation would drive patriotism through the roof - and that once occupied, a British retaliation would be logistically impossible.

He had good reason to believe so, even the U.S navy is on record as stating that, “a successful counter-invasion by the British is a military impossibility.” Considering that the British supply lines were 8,000 miles long, it was not the best of campaign conditions. Unsuspectedly to Galtieri, Thatcher responded immediately, assembling a military taskforce which succeeded in retaking the islands. Argentine television broadcasted victory after victory, so when the Argentinians learned the true outcome of the war - they were not exactly pleased with the junta. The irony of the aftermath is that the British hesitated to give the Falkland islanders full economic freedom and political citizenship out of fear of angering Argentina, that the military junta wanted to improve its legitimacy as the moral arbiter of Argentina - but in the aftermath the Royal Navy became the strongest South American naval power, Falkland Islanders were given full citizenship, self-governance, investment and the military junta became a democracy, one whose navy fell to pieces because it was purchased from the British government

But idk invading countries because their clay is close to you makes sense. Las Faroes son Britannicas

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile

Indeed, it's worth noting that the Falklands weren't even the Argentine junta's first choice for their "short, victorious war" to bolster their domestic popularity and legitimacy.  In 1978, the junta repudiated a 1971 agreement that, under external arbitration (British, coincidentally enough), awarded three small islands just south of Tierra del Fuego (Picton, Lennox, and Nueva, the Beagle Islands) to Chile rather than Argentina.  The December of that same year, they initiated and rapidly aborted an operation to invade and seize the islands, likely due to the expected failure at accomplishing a rapid victory due to an unexpected storm the day of the operation.  Moreover, it was known that the entire Chilean Navy had committed to the region, the Pope had personally intervened to warn against a military conflict, and significant expectations existed regarding intervention from Peru, Bolivia, Ecuador, and Peru against Argentina in support of Chile.  In other words, a war against Chile may have been victorious (at least, in the eyes of the junta; given the disparity in quality and especially motivation, Chile seems like it would have more probably won to me), but it would have been costly and protracted, and thus not suitable to the primary goal of shining the junta's crown. 

Except for the storm, which no one had predicted and was a random fluke, the invasion of the Falklands promised none of these disadvantages, which is likely why the junta changed course between 1978 and 1982: the British government was known to be actively cutting back its military forces, most of which weren't in theatre; the Pope was less likely to intervene immediately if it weren't between two Catholic countries; and Britain had few friends in the continent.  Moreover, a series of misunderstandings had led the Argentine junta to believe that, due to a quid pro quo with Reagan in Nicaragua where Argentina served as a middleman in order to help Reagan maintain plausible deniability regarding aid to the Contras against the Sandinistas, the US government would weigh in on the side of Argentina over the UK out of gratitude.  In spite of actually accomplishing the fait accompli denied in the Beagle Islands, this judgment was in fatal error in pretty much every respect.  The British immediately cancelled their budget cut-backs and launched an invasion across half the world with all available forces.  Chile still remembered the Beagle crisis and, knowing they were next on the chopping block, provided active intelligence to the UK as well as positioning their army to force Argentina to respect the risk of a Chilean intervention, preventing Argentina from deploying their best forces to the islands. Finally, the US not only failed to back Argentina, but also actively stepped in on the British side to the point of promising them replacement ships (most prominently the Iwo Jima class amphibious assault ship USS Iwo Jima, capable of operating Sea Harriers) in the event the invasion failed as they feared. 
« Last Edit: May 17, 2017, 12:05:32 pm by Culise »

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile

No matter what you may say of Thatcher, it's undeniable that she was decisive.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile

So, gurkhas are basically mountain Fremen.
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH

So, gurkhas are basically mountain Fremen.
There's a joke that goes like this:
How do you know you've insulted a gurkha or not? Nod your head, if it doesn't fall off they're fine with you
Funnily enough they're usually really swell people if you meet them irl, very friendly and polite

Ultimuh

• Bay Watcher
  • BOOM! Avatar gone! (for now)
    • View Profile

edit: Whoops, wrong thread.

Felissan

• Bay Watcher
  • Hopefully not killing this game too
    • View Profile

I've just started class again today, and our schedule for the last month of the school year will be much less restrictive than before.
Quote from: xkcd
I always figured you should never bring a gun to a gun fight because then you'll be part of a gun fight.

Steelmagic

• Bay Watcher
  • Insanity makes everything fun!
    • View Profile

There is a centipede in my room.

There is a centipede in my room and I don't know where it is.

Got the little bastard, I can sleep well again.
When i say "I'm no expert but..." It means "I have no idea what the hell I'm talking about but I'm going to try to sound like i do."

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile

This morning was interesting. I saw what looked like a fox slinking around in the bushes at a customer's facility. Didn't get a good look, but I'm 90% sure it wasn't a cat or dog. I can't think of many other vaguely foxlike four-legged animals that might be in this area.

A little while later, when leaving that same customer, I came across a rabbit sitting in the access road leading to the exit. Just sitting there. Didn't move when I honked the horn. I think it was actually tharn (to borrow a term from Watership Down), so I climbed out of my truck, moved toward it, waved my arms and shouted. That made it hop away.

The security guard at the exit saw the whole thing and thought it was funny. I just didn't want to run the little critter over   :P
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile

Spent a week in the woods by Lake Michigan. On the one hand, only had to scrape one wood tick off myself. On the other, if a deer tick carrying Lyme disease got me I'll only know when my neurological functions start failing.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
  • Baal's More Evil American Twin
    • View Profile

Iirc lyme disease takes two days of the tick being on you. Parvassan or parwassan or whatever... Not so long. And it's MUCH worse.
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I mean, it was dark (somewhere around 4am) and my headlights were shining right at the rabbit, which was looking back at me. It could have just frozen up, and not injured in any way.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile

Iirc lyme disease takes two days of the tick being on you. Parvassan or parwassan or whatever... Not so long. And it's MUCH worse.
Thankfully Powassan is rare as fuck, and no cases have ever been reported in the area where I was staying. The closest was around 200 miles away (with a hundred miles or so of deep water in between, and the majority closer to 500mi out. Not an accident, either, shit's scary. Lyme's probably not a concern, either, since the vast majority of cases are on the east coast and that Wisconsin/Minnesota border region, but when you're talking about a carrier the size of a pinhead I'm just fucking paranoid.

3. Run Resize Enable

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Can you get tested for Lyme disease before it, y'know, starts messing you up?

I don't suppose you kept the tick in a jar or anything? They could probably test that as well.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile

The one I picked off was just a wood tick, they're nothing but gross. The carriers are deer ticks, usually the nymphs, which are about 2mm across. No way to tell until you start seeing symptoms, really.

3. Run Resize Enable
Pages: 1 ... 12107 12108 [12109] 12110 12111 ... 13312