Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 12157 12158 [12159] 12160 12161 ... 13312

Author Topic: [MILK] There were 12 eggs here what did you do with them? (Happy thread?!)  (Read 14558853 times)

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
Re: [???] Eggplant (Happy thread)
« Reply #182370 on: July 25, 2017, 05:27:52 pm »

Still an ongoing struggle to find a position with my Master

There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #182371 on: July 25, 2017, 05:48:13 pm »

Still an ongoing struggle to find a position with my Master's. In the meantime, my BA in Liberal Arts attracted an employer offering decent pay, potential for advancement, and a full benefits package.

STEM types can suck it. :V
Tell us more.

It's kind of the opposite for me. I put a lot into my art and it doesn't attract any clients but my half-finished attempts at making websites got me the job I have right now. I just can't find my market.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2017, 05:54:30 pm by GUNINANRUNIN »

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #182372 on: July 25, 2017, 06:10:14 pm »

Still an ongoing struggle to find a position with my Master's. In the meantime, my BA in Liberal Arts attracted an employer offering decent pay, potential for advancement, and a full benefits package.

Tell us more.

It's kind of the opposite for me. I put a lot into my art and it doesn't attract any clients but my half-finished attempts at making websites got me the job I have right now. I just can't find my market.

More after I go in to talk to them. The firm's a temp agency looking for people to coordinate and conduct interviews and hiring of temps and liaise with client firms. Base pay isn't fantastic, but a company that'll give new hires full medical+dental+vision, a 401k, two weeks vacation, and paid holidays? Fuck yes I'll bite on that.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #182373 on: July 25, 2017, 06:30:41 pm »

Tell us more.

More after I go in to talk to them. The firm's a temp agency looking for people to coordinate and conduct interviews and hiring of temps and liaise with client firms. Base pay isn't fantastic, but a company that'll give new hires full medical+dental+vision, a 401k, two weeks vacation, and paid holidays? Fuck yes I'll bite on that.
That's pretty good, all right. Do they offer 401k match as well?
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #182374 on: July 25, 2017, 07:28:01 pm »

Tell us more.

That's pretty good, all right. Do they offer 401k match as well?
Not mentioned either way in the contact email. Will be one of the things I poke into when appropriate (if things get that far), but even if they don't it's still a damn sight better than my current prospects for retirement funds, and far beyond "lol you think you deserve benefits, here's permanent part time and we'll fire you if you complain".

3. Run Resize Enable

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #182375 on: July 25, 2017, 07:33:20 pm »

wanted to post this.  again?

http://existentialcomics.com/comic/175

LotR magic
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #182376 on: July 25, 2017, 07:57:27 pm »

wanted to post this.  again?

http://existentialcomics.com/comic/175

LotR magic
The problem with applying real-world philosophy to fantasy settings is that pesky "fantasy" word. Sauron is *actually* evil. The orcs are well known to be the corrupted spawn of elves, utterly tainted by quantifiable evil forces. You have literal angels of both good and evil working things behind the scenes.

But hey, far be it for me to disagree with a preachy wall-o-text webcomic.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #182377 on: July 25, 2017, 08:22:56 pm »

It's actually rather on the nose if you look at it from a different angle, namely that Foucault, Chomsky, and Fanon are all of the endless-complaints no-action stripe; the latter two almost invariably try to force everything in the world into their overly narrow critical lens because they're unwilling to conceive of or discuss the possibility that the world isn't entirely oriented around the axis of evil wealthy Americans/evil racist Europeans.

IOW if that scenario were to actually occur, Chomsky and Fanon would be totally unable to effectively mobilize the hypothetical counterforce they proposed, and if they somehow did, they would very quickly see Middle Earth ruined, because as noted moral subjectivity doesn't work in a universe where good and evil are definable, physical forces.

3. Run Resize Enable

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #182378 on: July 25, 2017, 08:32:45 pm »

Besides, this comic is just a bad copy of the logic used by The Last Ringbearer.

It is unfortunate that Sauron barely has a motivation beyond "fuck everything", though. I was always curious of what exactly he intended to do if he won. Like, just being dictator is kind of a bland goal for a supernatural being. As is, I just sort of settled on the assumption that the Ring made him crazy in the same way as everyone else.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #182379 on: July 25, 2017, 09:12:42 pm »

Besides, this comic is just a bad copy of the logic used by The Last Ringbearer.

It is unfortunate that Sauron barely has a motivation beyond "fuck everything", though. I was always curious of what exactly he intended to do if he won. Like, just being dictator is kind of a bland goal for a supernatural being. As is, I just sort of settled on the assumption that the Ring made him crazy in the same way as everyone else.

Morgoth was the one who was "fuck everything".  He was envious of Eru's power as the ultimate creator and too proud to accept his role as just a participant in his song of creation, so he sought to disrupt the music to make it as much his own as possible.  This resulted in Morgoth basically giving up the power to contribute his own unique creations to the world, instead messing with everyone else's in his attempts to make creation his own or destroy what he couldn't.  Following creation, Morgoth's envy led to him stealing the Silmarillions, and that was basically the starting point of Middle Earth history.

Sauron was Morgoth's right-hand man, and extremely faithful to him.  After Morgoth was defeated and imprisoned, Sauron basically laid low as a fugitive from the Valar and all their mortal allies for hundreds of years.  Eventually, they all let their guard down, and he snuck back into Morgoth's old lair to start building it back up again.  The ring's ultimate purpose was a fail-safe.  As long as the ring wasn't destroyed, Sauron couldn't be either.  It didn't really make him more powerful or drive him crazy, because its power came from being imbued with his own essence.  He essentially weakened himself to create it and was incomplete without it.  What power it did give him was the influence he extended through it to the bearers of the other rings.  In typical Tolkien fashion, this is basically a lesser version of the same thing Morgoth did.  Morgoth imbued his will into all of Arda, so that everything would gradually, unavoidably bend towards his interests over time.  But in the process, he gave up his immortality and his ability to change forms.

I imagine his motivations were a combination of continuing loyalty to Morgoth (acting in his place until he returns?  spite and vengeance in his name?), and rising to power being the only way for him to live freely after making himself a divine criminal.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2017, 09:18:03 pm by SalmonGod »
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #182380 on: July 25, 2017, 09:18:15 pm »

I mean, he kinda does? Sauron first allied with Melkor because dude had a hard-on for order and efficiency. He served Melkor loyally and without intent to betray for a damn long time. When he tried to repent after Morgoth's fall, he meant it, and only fell again because of the literal corrupting evil he had been tainted by. He backslid while trying to uplift and repair Middle-Earth, and Tolkien's WoG is that Sauron in the early days of the Second Age was genuinely a grey figure, not good, but not wholly evil. That continues; the rest of his history is him trying to impose order on the world, and he's an evil figure predominantly because contact with his former boss twisted him so much that he can only conceive of doing so by enslaving its peoples and bringing its lands under his dominion.

It's not like he was always an evil mold-stamped dictator, or that he woke up one morning and decided that world domination was what he wanted most.

3. Run Resize Enable

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #182381 on: July 25, 2017, 09:39:17 pm »

Yarr... I did come across the obsession with order thing while quickly googling to check the accuracy of my thoughts.  Left that out, because I couldn't remember that aspect specifically from my readings, but it's been like 8 years or something since I read the Silmarillion.  But it does make a lot of sense, what with Tolkien modeling his writing after classic mythology, and all his divine beings representing some fundamental concept.  Sauron being an avatar of order that's been corrupted by the source of all evil is fitting.

I seem to remember him being pretty much always evil after serving Morgoth, though.  The Second Age was all about Numenor, and I remember Tolkien's writing being pretty clear on Sauron's intentions from the beginning to gain the Numenorean's trust and turn them against the Valar.  It was just a very long game.  He had to put on quite an act in the beginning.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Comrade P.

• Bay Watcher
  • For space is wide and good friends are too few
    • View Profile
« Reply #182382 on: July 25, 2017, 11:50:49 pm »

I might've just stayed up all night playing a videogame. Never happened before.

Kinda good while it lasted, but now I've got a head full of lead and an obligation to go to work.

But so worth it. I've been waiting for more than a year for this release.
Sigs

Nobody exists on purpose. Nobody belongs anywhere. Everybody’s gonna die. Come watch TV?

ArchAIngel

• Bay Watcher
  • Infested Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #182383 on: July 25, 2017, 11:56:13 pm »

I might've just stayed up all night playing a videogame. Never happened before.

Kinda good while it lasted, but now I've got a head full of lead and an obligation to go to work.

But so worth it. I've been waiting for more than a year for this release.
Wot's da game?

Can't think of any recent ones other than Fate/Extella.

Comrade P.

• Bay Watcher
  • For space is wide and good friends are too few
    • View Profile
« Reply #182384 on: July 26, 2017, 12:26:54 am »

Pyre, by Supergiant Games (also known for Bastion, Transistor)
Sigs

Nobody exists on purpose. Nobody belongs anywhere. Everybody’s gonna die. Come watch TV?
Pages: 1 ... 12157 12158 [12159] 12160 12161 ... 13312