Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 12179 12180 [12181] 12182 12183 ... 13312

Author Topic: [MILK] There were 12 eggs here what did you do with them? (Happy thread?!)  (Read 14579052 times)

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
Re: [spbaget] The invisible spaghetti and the potatopoi (Happy thread)
« Reply #182700 on: August 14, 2017, 08:54:54 am »

Just more proof that Canada is awful. Annexation when?
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #182701 on: August 14, 2017, 09:19:26 am »

You want make Great Britain great again, hector?
Love, scriver~

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #182702 on: August 14, 2017, 09:32:12 am »

My recent binge-watching of Trailer Park Boys has given me a new appreciation for Canada.
Maybe there is some point to its existence (apart from The Weakerthans) after all. 
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Comrade P.

• Bay Watcher
  • For space is wide and good friends are too few
    • View Profile
« Reply #182703 on: August 14, 2017, 09:36:56 am »

I beg your pardon, did somebody say annexation?

Please dial 1-800-KREMLIN to reach Moscow's Annexation hotline, we have an outstanding record. No trouble with global community guaranteed, our your freedom back!
Sigs

Nobody exists on purpose. Nobody belongs anywhere. Everybody’s gonna die. Come watch TV?

hector13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #182704 on: August 14, 2017, 09:47:23 am »

You want make Great Britain great again, hector?

I'm a Scottish independence supporter, there has never been a time that Great Britain was great. /much too serious now

Alternatively:

MGBGA hate lol autocorrect hats when?
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Khan Boyzitbig

• Bay Watcher
  • [THOUGHTS:CHAOTIC] [ACTUALLY A SWAN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #182705 on: August 14, 2017, 09:50:01 am »

You do know Scotland created Great Britain? On Scottish head an English Crown (James Stuart, James the 6th of Scotland, 1st of England)
////;::;\\\\ Scuttle Scuttle...

Milk for the Khorneflakes!

Luminous Bolt of Bacon
"Excuse me sir, You are on Fire."

hector13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #182706 on: August 14, 2017, 10:05:55 am »

You do know Scotland created Great Britain? On Scottish head an English Crown (James Stuart, James the 6th of Scotland, 1st of England)

Nah, he was just taking advantage of his claim on the English crown, 'cause his predecessor killed his mum. Both countries still had their own parliament and judiciary's and such, existing as separate sovereign entities.

Took another hundred and four years 'til the Act of Union, voted on by politicians.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #182707 on: August 14, 2017, 12:23:31 pm »

I'm a Scottish independence supporter, there has never been a time that Great Britain was great. /much too serious now
Alternatively:
MGBGA hate lol autocorrect hats when?
Yeah when were great powers ever great

Nah, he was just taking advantage of his claim on the English crown, 'cause his predecessor killed his mum. Both countries still had their own parliament and judiciary's and such, existing as separate sovereign entities.
Took another hundred and four years 'til the Act of Union, voted on by politicians.
I disagree, if it was simply a case of opportunism or revenge then why did James not show any inkling of such desire upon his mother's execution, offering only formal complaint without breaking his alliance with the English? Moreover, why did he then subsequently style himself King of Great Britain if his intention was not to rule over his personal union as the monarch he was in Scotland? I should think his mistakes that stopped him subsuming the English parliamentarians is not for a lack of will to rule all of Britain as absolute monarch. Likewise while they retained their own parliaments, judiciaries and such, James would govern the foreign policy of both nations as one, attempt to exercise his royal prerogatives to such an extent that the Westminster parliament nearly lost its monopolies on taxes, and James would use English law courts in order to legitimize his own will as superior to the English parliament. Given how many times James VI either ignored, dissolved or even angrily rebuked the Westminster parliament, it would be entirely inaccurate to say that James was a mere figurehead when it was quite the opposite. Oh, and although the UK is heavily secularized today, it cannot be understated the impact James did by overseeing the publication of the King James Version of the Bible, changing the Church of England forever. Also in the decades after his reign you get Scottish merchants setting up the Bank of England, those very Scottish bankers like William Patterson being heavy proponents of Union after Scotland's colonization bid collapsed and England's glorious revolution brought fear of a jacobite restoration. As the old joke goes, the Bank of Scotland was set up by an Englishman, the Bank of England was set up by a Scotsman.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #182708 on: August 14, 2017, 01:31:26 pm »

I was just being silly and over-simplifying things, to be fair. His mum was a Catholic, while Jimmy was raised to be a Prod. She had been forced to abdicate to James after an uprising, and the monarch of Englerland was the head of the Church of England. Had she not been executed by Lizzy, things would've got problematical.

As it stood, though, smooth tranisition from Lizzy to James. Popular guy, but union of the crowns didn't mean political union, which was not a popular idea at the time, despite the power monarchs of the day had. He very much did lay the groundwork to get it done, given his strong desire for it. He styled himself King of GB and Ireland, 'cause he was king of the big island and the wee island, but he wasn't allowed to have that on legal documents, 'cept in Scotland, 'cause he forced them to do that. He also termed himself King of France, which obviously wasn't the case, something the monarchs of England did for hundreds of years prior to and following his reign.

He was a major proponent of the divine right of monarchs, which is probably a significant factor in why he wasn't on particular great terms with the parliament. Monarchs of the time did retain a great degree of political power, so it's not exactly surprising that he wanted the same foreign policy for all three kingdoms he ruled. It wouldn't do to have them all working at cross purposes, would it?

Probably the most significant factor in the eventual union was money. Scotland's investment in Darien was something of a massive failure - arguably in no small part due to English interference - allowing the English government to basically buy enough Scottish politicians to push through the Act of Union.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #182709 on: August 14, 2017, 03:47:59 pm »

I was just being silly and over-simplifying things, to be fair. His mum was a Catholic, while Jimmy was raised to be a Prod. She had been forced to abdicate to James after an uprising, and the monarch of Englerland was the head of the Church of England. Had she not been executed by Lizzy, things would've got problematical.
Yeah but simplifications on the internet become authentic historical documents that 100% portray stuff

As it stood, though, smooth tranisition from Lizzy to James. Popular guy, but union of the crowns didn't mean political union, which was not a popular idea at the time, despite the power monarchs of the day had. He very much did lay the groundwork to get it done, given his strong desire for it. He styled himself King of GB and Ireland, 'cause he was king of the big island and the wee island, but he wasn't allowed to have that on legal documents, 'cept in Scotland, 'cause he forced them to do that. He also termed himself King of France, which obviously wasn't the case, something the monarchs of England did for hundreds of years prior to and following his reign.
Aye, the groundwork but not the actual formation of a single political entity. On the topic of Regal titles, adopting King of France when he didn't rule France doesn't compare to adopting King of Britain, when he did rule the British Isles. Styling himself King of Britain instead of King of Scotland or King of England if nothing showed his ambition was to unify both, even if both Scotland and England opposed this idea xD

He was a major proponent of the divine right of monarchs, which is probably a significant factor in why he wasn't on particular great terms with the parliament. Monarchs of the time did retain a great degree of political power, so it's not exactly surprising that he wanted the same foreign policy for all three kingdoms he ruled. It wouldn't do to have them all working at cross purposes, would it?
Not surprising for him, definitely surprising for England; levying his own taxes on Englishmen without Parliament's consent in order to pursue his own foreign policy against English wishes. Major faux pas, going back to the Magna Carta. Also agreed, not saying that's political union, only that the personal union brought the two nations together kicking and screaming

Probably the most significant factor in the eventual union was money. Scotland's investment in Darien was something of a massive failure - arguably in no small part due to English interference - allowing the English government to basically buy enough Scottish politicians to push through the Act of Union.
I don't see how it was the fault of English interference
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Someone decided going to X and setting up a colony was a good idea. That is invading Russia in winter wearing flip flops tier in bad ideas. Doing it without having surveyed it prior to the colonial expedition, doing it without allies or naval superiority ascends to insulting the Mongols tier in bad ideas. It is a scheme even the French or Ottomans would not undertake

This reminds me of the South Sea Bubble which hit London, wherein some investors spread some dank marketing all around London and England that they were going to raise capital to go raise funds to trade in South America, shit would be so cash, profits would be 9000% and guaranteed. Obviously this plan wasn't going to work because England was at war with Spain (thus the chance of any Spanish colonies trading with them was 0) and so the company goes bust, thousands of suicides, murders, insane asylum cases, gin sale bonanzas and sold babies start popping up, riots and insurance claims all over the place, generally bad times all round. Only difference is these schemes didn't suck up the nation's economy proportionally, as England had a larger population and economy meaning it could stomach the overall drop in population and monies just in time to fall for the next stupid scheme some Nigerian prince orientalist monarch proposed. That the Darien scheme ends with innocent English sailors getting executed for no reason beyond scapegoating is the final banter ;P

redwallzyl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #182710 on: August 14, 2017, 04:02:24 pm »

Yup, whoever though it was a good idea to send a bunch of Scots to the malaria infested jungles of panama was very very stupid.

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
« Reply #182711 on: August 14, 2017, 04:19:05 pm »

"English interference" is usually "they wouldn't give us their money to throw into Spanish malaria-infested swamps."  Leaving aside the economic matters, the King of England and Scotland was perhaps unusually opposed to offending his Spanish friends and allies, especially while he was actively at war alongside them against France due to the War of the League of Augsburg that was sweeping both the Old and New Worlds at the time.  It was a bit of an odd and unexpected turn, but what can one do? 

That said, the English East India Company was indeed a bit keen on maintaining their own monopoly, and thus opposed the scheme while it still advocated using the money to further trade with Africa and India. 
« Last Edit: August 14, 2017, 04:20:41 pm by Culise »

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #182712 on: August 15, 2017, 02:51:29 am »

Why did this thread turn into Victoria II
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #182713 on: August 15, 2017, 03:01:44 am »

I enjoy hearing the broad knowledge others have to say--like for example, Reudh's or ChairmanP's talks about medical things, and others' notes about history in their locality or area. :3

I think they're pretty happy discussing it, too. :)

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #182714 on: August 15, 2017, 03:23:13 am »

This is now a jacobin rebel thread
Pages: 1 ... 12179 12180 [12181] 12182 12183 ... 13312