Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 12293 12294 [12295] 12296 12297 ... 13312

Author Topic: [MILK] There were 12 eggs here what did you do with them? (Happy thread?!)  (Read 14542744 times)

Magistrum

• Bay Watcher
  • Skilled Fortresser
    • View Profile
Re: [Wao] Pot noodle stole the precious thing. (Happy thread)
« Reply #184410 on: January 20, 2018, 07:01:31 pm »

Overcrowding seems to not be possible tough. The boom was mostly because people weren't used to having their children survive through childhood.

Not a problem anyway, because as we can see, the world is getting filled with self-loathing weebs and roleplayers.
In a time before time, I had a name.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #184411 on: January 20, 2018, 07:05:19 pm »

Do you want your precious metal scene flooded with dreaded anime fans?

Do you hate your own kin, Reelya?

It's ok, even being an anime fan myself, I can only imagine how smelly and awkward a dance floor full of weebs would be.

They're mostly girl weebs though, on the dancefloor at those types of events, so there's that. Anime is seen as a cliched "dude" thing, but I think that's an out-dated stereotype. Most of the anime-related social things I know about nearby are all run by women.

I went to a bunch of geek-related meetups last year, and hands-down the worst scene in terms of lacking basic social skills were actually the D&D players.

My experience is that anime-fandom has weighed more towards women for a long time.  I know way more women who are *really* into anime than men.

D&D is a weird crowd.  There's high concentration of incredible social dysfunction.  But there's an equally high concentration of people who are totally awesome.  Although you're more likely to find the totally awesome people by looking for people who play other P&P games also.  D&D attracts weaselly murder hobos, who see nothing wrong with basing all of their behavior on what they can technically get away with.  Disclaimer that I haven't been among roleplaying crowds much for a few years at least.  So maybe things have changed in that relatively short period.

I suspect the high concentration of That Guys in D&D is exacerbated by it being such a popular and widespread tabletop; if they get the boot in one group it's not too tough to find a new one. With a lot of games there's often only one or two tables in town/site that run it semi-regularly.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #184412 on: January 20, 2018, 07:10:58 pm »

I just think people who develop a hard won social circle become reluctant to put it at risk by criticizing or ejecting problem children. D&D happens to be a particular outlet for toxicity for the same reason the internet often is: Give a man a mask, and he will tell you the truth.

This combination of factors is why sometimes people bust out their disgusting fetishes in-character out of nowhere. Or "jokingly" play a character that reflects their genuine but socially unacceptable beliefs.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Eschar

• Bay Watcher
  • hello
    • View Profile
« Reply #184413 on: January 20, 2018, 08:26:27 pm »

It took five hours, but I think I'm figuring out Aurora 4X. Maybe.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #184414 on: January 20, 2018, 09:52:09 pm »

I just think people who develop a hard won social circle become reluctant to put it at risk by criticizing or ejecting problem children.

Ah, Geek Social Fallacy #1. Not quite as virulent and problematic as GSF #2, but nonetheless a problem.

It boggles the mind that this article is nearly 15 years old.

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #184415 on: January 21, 2018, 01:57:56 am »

You know, I spent most of the last year having a festering disagreement with a close friend, and that website describes so much of what was happening.

I mean we resolved it (probably?) but still.  That's a very real website.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

overseer05-15

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #184416 on: January 21, 2018, 04:18:25 am »

I just think people who develop a hard won social circle become reluctant to put it at risk by criticizing or ejecting problem children.

Ah, Geek Social Fallacy #1. Not quite as virulent and problematic as GSF #2, but nonetheless a problem.

It reads like a SCP article
adult food like, I presume, steak and potatoes and tax forms,

My game giveaway

Eschar

• Bay Watcher
  • hello
    • View Profile
« Reply #184417 on: January 21, 2018, 03:57:44 pm »

That's a good thing.

As you seem likely to support, given your username.

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #184418 on: January 21, 2018, 03:59:34 pm »

The main thrust of it seems to be that geeks lack the confidence to feel that they can make new friends if they lose their current ones.  Would undercut the message if it made fun of geeks at the same time.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

overseer05-15

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #184419 on: January 21, 2018, 05:34:24 pm »

That's a good thing.

As you seem likely to support, given your username.

[REDACTED]
adult food like, I presume, steak and potatoes and tax forms,

My game giveaway

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #184420 on: January 21, 2018, 06:44:13 pm »

My wife pissed some crazy people off, who launched a harassment campaign this weekend.  I didn't have my Facebook 100% private, so they looked at my contacts and started messaging everybody I know, and reported to the police that we're pedophiles.  We were really worried about it at first, but...

Happy thread material, because everyone who has told us they received those messages was super awesome about it.  All mostly wanted to warn us what was going on, and a couple said they didn't even care what the real story was.  It was flattering to hear some statements about my character, and their confidence that I wouldn't be up to anything unethical.  The police officer who showed up at our door to talk about it actually used to be a neighbor that I haven't seen since we were both kids.  So not only was it easily resolved with him, but it was kinda cool to see him.

After talking to the officer, I felt really confident letting these people know that their slander campaign is failing horribly, but if they contacted my workplace and any damages occur there, that there will absolutely be a civil suit following.  We'll see if I get called in to any awkward conversations tomorrow...

So far my personal belief is holding up that security matters less for protecting oneself than being a consistently decent human being.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #184421 on: January 21, 2018, 07:55:27 pm »

Hydraulic Press guy makes a knife.

Wasn't actually a bad knife either. I would speculate that it'd make a better sickle if he sharpened the other edge instead, though.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #184422 on: January 21, 2018, 10:32:23 pm »

That feeling where you have the first bit of a track stuck in your head, and can't *quite* nail it down...
I knew what it was from, but I took my time to find the track in the least tries.
Got it in two.  First guess was Slylandro, second was correct: http://www.medievalfuture.com/precursors/music/packages/4/Orz__Squeezing_the_Juice.mp3
(Considered Supox, which wasn't that far off, and they're hard to remember.  Sadly.)

Listening to this is very nice.
Also I shared a couple of beers with my roommate, watching him play Mass Effect 3.  Was some good commentary and back-and-forth.

Which uh apparently got me thinking about Star Control 2.  So I'm linking him to the project, also to Rogue Effect.  Happy!
(No Androsynth rants this time, I promise... ugh.  Sorry.)

...Supox theme grew on me: http://www.medievalfuture.com/precursors/music/packages/4/Supox__Shake_Yer_Rootz.mp3
(Also I know this isn't the original music :P  Unlike some of the voices, I prefer the remixed music without exception.  (Some of the voices are definitely worse than text-only))
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Gentlefish

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: balloon-like qualities]
    • View Profile
« Reply #184423 on: January 22, 2018, 03:55:46 am »

Woahh, another StarCon 2 fan? There's literally dozens of us, woohoo!

You're actually the first other person I know of who knows about Ur-Quan Masters. Did you hear they're planning on another Star Control game? Might have been a rumor but I'm willing to get my hopes up.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #184424 on: January 22, 2018, 04:07:18 am »

I'm still excited that Stardock, which I enjoyed back in the OS/2 days (as a kid), is/was taking a crack at SC2 too.  Even though that's noncanon, just allowed by the SC2 creators.

But yes, I am very excited to see some continuation of their original vision.  SC3 wasn't the end of the world, but...  I mean, it was pretty good for fanfic.
Uncanny claymation aside.

Also, take heart!  There are like 3 other SC2 fans here: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=168242.msg7620388
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.
Pages: 1 ... 12293 12294 [12295] 12296 12297 ... 13312