Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 12323 12324 [12325] 12326 12327 ... 13312

Author Topic: [MILK] There were 12 eggs here what did you do with them? (Happy thread?!)  (Read 14560945 times)

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
Re: [?!?!] What the fuck is tail time (Happy thread)
« Reply #184860 on: March 12, 2018, 08:35:12 pm »

Omfg those places are so cozy.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #184861 on: March 12, 2018, 11:02:39 pm »

I've come up with an idea for a new game. Someone please tell me if something like this already exists.

Basically, you are an engineer who is stuck in a garbage dump of some kind. You have to scavenge for various objects and materials from what you find in the dump, e.g. metal beams, toy cars, drones, etc. These objects will have certain amounts of damage (though very rarely you might find them without any damage at all); parts of them could be missing, they could be broken, circuitry could be burnt out, and so on. For some of them, you would need special tools like screwdrivers and files to access the parts inside, the former of which could also be found in the dump. In addition to this, you would need to build a shelter to protect yourself from enemies of some kind -- perhaps police, or robot patrols. There could be certain areas of the dump that have toxic sludge, or zombies, or some other creepy dangerous thing. Basically I'm thinking like the Zone in Roadside Picnic, if you've read that book. The goal is to bring the game to the point where eventually you'd be able to design and create giant mech suits from the stuff you salvage from the dump, and then go rampaging around the countryside. Perhaps I'd even be able to implement randomized enemies, for an extra punch, but that'll be much further on in game development.

I'll let you know if this gets anywhere.
Quote from: KittyTac
The closest thing Bay12 has to a flamewar is an argument over philosophy that slowly transitioned to an argument about quantum mechanics.
Quote from: thefriendlyhacker
The trick is to only make predictions semi-seriously.  That way, I don't have a 98% failure rate. I have a 98% sarcasm rate.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #184862 on: March 12, 2018, 11:08:37 pm »

I know theres a minecrafty (may be a minecraft clone than just 'minecrafty') game which revolves around salvage or something like that, but what you describe sounds more roguelike than minecrafty.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #184863 on: March 12, 2018, 11:11:22 pm »

Interesting mechanic idea, but needs an over-reaching *reason* for the mechanic to be trapped in the junkyard.

Typically, a junkyard is monitored, because there are still useful commodities inside.  The operator of the junkyard is often a consummate scrap dealer, and often has his junk sorted into big piles based on the sorts of raw materials contained inside them.  This is why "Junk yard dog" is totally a meme. The scrapyard owner will take a pointed dislike to having a rogue engineer scavenging his stuff without paying.  This gives us an immediate villain to work with at least, but still does not explain why the engineer is here.

Getting dumped in with the scrap (from some elite mega-city) is a manga-cliche, but at least it explains how he might have gotten there, (and why he needs to harvest the scrap to escape-- merely getting out of the junkyard is not sufficient; he has to return to the elite mega-city.)  I am sure there are other scenarios that might explain it as well, but it is definitely needed for a good game. The player needs a motivation to engage in the gameplay.

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #184864 on: March 12, 2018, 11:37:25 pm »

I just got an idea for the story. Slightly futuristic, dystopian universe. Mechanic ran away to the junkyard to get away from government agents who were searching for him; suppose he was a member of the resistance, or something. The government sends out robot drones to patrol around the capital (just for the sake of detecting unusual activity, not necessarily to look for him.) Originally the player might evade the drones, but as his base gets bigger and he gets more materials, it will become harder and harder for him. Then he will have to start killing drones, which he can loot as well. Kill enough drones and the capital takes notice, sends even larger amounts of drones, for continually escalating gameplay. If the player survives long enough the capital might even decide to send its whole army to defeat that one guy who happened to destroy 30% of its entire fleet.  As for what the player is actually trying to accomplish -- perhaps he wants to defeat the dystopian superpower, or perhaps he wants to go back home, or something. I'll have to keep thinking.

Part of the gameplay might actually be outside the junkyard, in fact. Maybe for the final part of the game the player takes his fleet of hundreds of autonomous mech suits straight to the capital, to defeat the government in person. It seems a bit far-fetched that a single guy can somehow destroy the entire totalitarian government solely from the materials he found in a junkyard and in drones that happened to pass by, but hey, perhaps he's some kind of Tony Stark character that saves the world through force of pure genius alone.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2018, 11:41:25 pm by bloop_bleep »
The closest thing Bay12 has to a flamewar is an argument over philosophy that slowly transitioned to an argument about quantum mechanics.
The trick is to only make predictions semi-seriously.  That way, I don't have a 98% failure rate. I have a 98% sarcasm rate.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #184865 on: March 12, 2018, 11:58:53 pm »

I am thinking "Blade Runner Sequel" type "junk yard" here, but instead of "skinjob" type replicants, you have more "I Robot" type mechanoid AIs. Bonus if the engineer is also a robot/AI expert. Cliche: He invented them, hates seeing them 'trashed' and misused.

This would allow him to raise a literal "thinking" army out of the scrap.

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #184866 on: March 13, 2018, 06:16:26 pm »

The constant title changes are really starting to mess with me :V

In my happies, I've been completely dumbstruck by a piece of art I saw today, like, it's so fucking simple and well made that I can't start explaining it. So have a look yourself:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Dudes page here.
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #184867 on: March 13, 2018, 07:23:55 pm »

i'm going to download pokemon go again.

I'd be effectively a new player, any tips?
Don't try to be efficient with your play. That's how people burn out. Just have fun.
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

Gentlefish

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: balloon-like qualities]
    • View Profile
« Reply #184868 on: March 14, 2018, 12:48:06 am »

This video gives me life.

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #184869 on: March 14, 2018, 01:03:15 am »

I'm actually starting to work on my own projects (including the game idea I mentioned earlier) again instead of wasting all my free time on forums and such. It's very satisfying and relieving; I used to use up hours on imgur or other such sites, continually telling myself that this isn't fulfilling or satisfying at all and that I should work on something, then being unable to stop and beating myself up afterwards for not following my own advice. Those days are gone, thank fucking God. I'm finally able to find motivation.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #184870 on: March 14, 2018, 02:07:43 am »

Couldn't find the book I was reading, which is a bit annoying since it's really good and I've almost finished it, but on the upside I've started re-reading one of my absolute favourites and it is still just as magical as the first and last time I read it.
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #184871 on: March 14, 2018, 05:19:34 am »

What is it?
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

deathpunch578

• Bay Watcher
  • local satanist practices black magic in cornfields
    • View Profile
« Reply #184872 on: March 14, 2018, 01:21:28 pm »

I looked through my phone's gallery and saw I had some good pictures of my dogs.
https://imgur.com/gallery/UkTeE
Someone hands you a basketful of Jeses.
Cheerful with a side of wink wink nudge nudge I bet this guy's spine would look great mounted on my wall.
You ever get so mad you fuck a donkey?

scourge728

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #184873 on: March 14, 2018, 05:03:13 pm »

I'm actually starting to work on my own projects (including the game idea I mentioned earlier) again instead of wasting all my free time on forums and such. It's very satisfying and relieving; I used to use up hours on imgur or other such sites, continually telling myself that this isn't fulfilling or satisfying at all and that I should work on something, then being unable to stop and beating myself up afterwards for not following my own advice. Those days are gone, thank fucking God. I'm finally able to find motivation.
teach me the secret

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #184874 on: March 15, 2018, 01:09:14 am »

teach me the secret
It might have to do with the fact that for a couple of weeks I stopped using the computer almost at all in my free time, instead reading books or going out. I suppose that sort of stymied my website-related procrastination problems, because when I came back they were almost completely gone.
Pages: 1 ... 12323 12324 [12325] 12326 12327 ... 13312