Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 12344 12345 [12346] 12347 12348 ... 13311

Author Topic: [MILK] There were 12 eggs here what did you do with them? (Happy thread?!)  (Read 14513735 times)

redwallzyl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: [?!?!] What the fuck is tail time (Happy thread)
« Reply #185175 on: April 20, 2018, 05:18:00 pm »

I mean, just assuming brazilian politics is fundamentally as bullshit as american politics
Likely, given what I know of Brazil's current political situation, it is worse.

Trekkin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #185176 on: April 20, 2018, 08:01:56 pm »

People tend to seek short term solutions that make them look good now and say fuck it to whoever has to clean up their mess. So youre right that that would be the superior strategy in the long run, but whoevers in charge now doesnt give a rats ass about anything besides the impact on their public image in the short term, which will determine if they get elected in the next election.

There are valid epidemiological reasons to try to treat contagions sooner rather than later, though, the most obvious being the lives saved in the interval between the good solution and the perfect one being available.

Magistrum

• Bay Watcher
  • Skilled Fortresser
    • View Profile
« Reply #185177 on: April 21, 2018, 09:37:57 am »

It would be ideal, but our country is far too big to immunize everyone with a full dose, and the next wave of contagion is coming. We simply can't wait to do it, the last two years we had some ~150 cases and ~20 deaths, a very high rise from previous years.

It isn't too much to say that if the country doesn't take action we might be seeing a thousand deaths in two summers.
In a time before time, I had a name.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #185178 on: April 21, 2018, 12:19:17 pm »

Yeah, im just being cranky i guess, sorry.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #185179 on: April 21, 2018, 02:44:11 pm »

The copy of Linux Mint I set up for my housemate is working great, and he's enjoying it!  He's not a computer expert so I was waiting for him to change his mind, but Ubuntu etc have really come a long way in usability.  It just needed a wired connection to fetch the wireless driver, is all.

We had a nice little party last night for no reason.  I stayed sober, and had a great time chatting about Stellaris and showing off DDR a bit.

Then early this morning, doing my daily poke-hike in a pretty disheveled state, I got propositioned.  And he wasn't a prostitute.  And I feel pretty good about things now, this is a good day
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #185180 on: April 21, 2018, 03:14:25 pm »

I hope amazing provided consent.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #185181 on: April 21, 2018, 04:24:43 pm »

Also that the scrambled eggs were of legal age. For crying out loud, they're nearly embryonic!
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #185182 on: April 21, 2018, 11:03:20 pm »

Drinking beer and listening to my vinyl copy of Black Sabbath for the first time.
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

NullForceOmega

• Bay Watcher
  • But, really, it's divine. Divinely tiresome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #185183 on: April 22, 2018, 09:52:30 am »

It is very nearly impossible to actually have the same sound quality from CD that it is possible to record with vinyl, a number of factors contribute to this but the most telling is compression, which can severely impact the acoustics of a recording.  Vinyl is able to record more nuanced sounds due to the properties of the material and the method of recording.

It is worth noting that recording technology is steadily improving, and at some point it may be possible for CDs to have the full range of sound.  Without being restricted to like, one song per disc.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2018, 10:01:19 am by NullForceOmega »
Grey morality is for people who wish to avoid retribution for misdeeds.

NullForceOmega is an immortal neanderthal who has been an amnesiac for the past 5000 years.

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #185184 on: April 22, 2018, 11:05:42 am »

CDs don't actually use any compression.

Trekkin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #185185 on: April 22, 2018, 11:42:21 am »

CDs don't actually use any compression.

They do insofar as digitizing sound must necessarily involve a finite sample rate and finite numerical precision per sample. It's debatable how much that matters perceptually relative to the nostalgia factor, though, kind of like tubes relative to transistors.

Magistrum

• Bay Watcher
  • Skilled Fortresser
    • View Profile
« Reply #185186 on: April 22, 2018, 11:52:51 am »

Now I'm imagining some computer hippies going all "Man, vacuum tubes switch so much nicer, man..."
In a time before time, I had a name.

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #185187 on: April 22, 2018, 11:58:14 am »

That's literally what they do.

They say vacuum tube amplifiers have sound quality that can't be beat by digital.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #185188 on: April 22, 2018, 12:03:45 pm »

It is very nearly impossible to actually have the same sound quality from CD that it is possible to record with vinyl, a number of factors contribute to this but the most telling is compression, which can severely impact the acoustics of a recording.  Vinyl is able to record more nuanced sounds due to the properties of the material and the method of recording.

It is worth noting that recording technology is steadily improving, and at some point it may be possible for CDs to have the full range of sound.  Without being restricted to like, one song per disc.

Well if you recorded in a format such as mp3 or ogg, but at a ridiculous sample rate / bitrate, it should exceed the quality of CDs by far. e.g. to take up the same space as a CD track, you could record mp3 at about 1280 kbps. Assuming you had a good enough digitizer and a raw analogue source, then the quality of the resulting track could well conform to the original wave pattern better than a CD's digitized track does.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2018, 12:06:25 pm by Reelya »

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #185189 on: April 22, 2018, 12:05:29 pm »

but can the human ear detect the difference?
Pages: 1 ... 12344 12345 [12346] 12347 12348 ... 13311