Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 12366 12367 [12368] 12369 12370 ... 13312

Author Topic: [MILK] There were 12 eggs here what did you do with them? (Happy thread?!)  (Read 14538949 times)

redwallzyl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: [?] Always step on the nep-nep (Happy thread)
« Reply #185505 on: June 02, 2018, 10:47:30 pm »

I'm now in possession of a reconstruction ancient Egyptian war axe, for reasons..
I assume it is workable metal and properly treated lashings, and even if not, the reasons being because it feels good holding it?

Same reason I took the perfectly functional straight handle off the little Zona dovetail saw that got here a couple days ago and replaced it with an extra fancy one I carved?
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Hand cast bronze head with a work hardened edge and a handle made out of some type of very hard exotic wood (the you cant break this if were trying kind) that I can not remember the name of. Weak point is the lashings. In the future I want to get a hold of some proper sinew to hold it together. The current lashing is decorative and it's really held on by a type of strong adhesive. The thing itself is solid as hell though. You could not break it if you tried. All hand made and simple but effective. It's not something I bought but rather something created through the work of a friend and a relative. It don't look fancy but is cool as hell. More like a simple foot solders weapon. It would definitely kill someone dead if I hit them in the head with it. It's got some heft to it.

It's a triangular wedge of bronze with tangs on either hafted into a simple short wooden handle about two feed long.

Shitty quality image at a bad angle that does not do it justice.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2018, 11:02:16 pm by redwallzyl »

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #185506 on: June 02, 2018, 11:25:01 pm »

Nice, needs a better cross weave to the lashing, but never doubt my ability to break a stick. To date my polypropylene bokken is the only stick I've been unable to break, though I haven't tried one of the appalachian hickory kingfisher ones: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U6alV4ASeyg

redwallzyl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #185507 on: June 02, 2018, 11:28:32 pm »

Nice, needs a better cross weave to the lashing, but never doubt my ability to break a stick. To date my polypropylene bokken is the only stick I've been unable to break, though I haven't tried one of the appalachian hickory kingfisher ones: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U6alV4ASeyg
I remember now, the handle is Osage Orange. Which is apparently stupid strong and was used for native american war clubs and bows. So good as you can get in America without going all crazy expensive import. Yes the lashing needs work but I need material and expertise for that. I got the handle made by a Bowyer so lashing axes is not his specialty.

My friend cast the head. Carved stone double sided mold. Not the strongest possible bronze but more then enough and probably better then anything out of the ancient world. Not smoothed and polished like the fancy stuff but with some cool looking rough sides exposed that were not caught by the basic grinding down of the sides. to take off the excess.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2018, 11:43:59 pm by redwallzyl »

Max™

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #185508 on: June 02, 2018, 11:44:12 pm »

Hey, cast bronze is cool shit, I recall some dog toys were actually usable sinew btw, but appalachian hickory is actually as good as you can get in the US: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MmEMib5hRTA

Trekkin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #185509 on: June 03, 2018, 12:11:38 am »

Hey, cast bronze is cool shit, I recall some dog toys were actually usable sinew btw, but appalachian hickory is actually as good as you can get in the US

Strictly speaking, Maclura pomifera (Osage orange) actually has a higher crushing strength and a significantly higher Janka hardness than any of the Carya species found in the eastern US ("Appalachian hickory" not being a single species), so "as good as you can get" depends on how much you intend to hit things with it and generally bang it around.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #185510 on: June 03, 2018, 04:20:32 am »

That’s what you get for being useful, banjo. /drunk holy shit am I drunk boys

Happy: I divulged shit I shouldn’t have and wasn’t immediately ostracized, fucking goal and that. Probably made someone else divulge more than they wanted though. Kinda good, kinda bad.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #185511 on: June 03, 2018, 04:39:40 am »

I played neopets, but never managed to find the forums. Must have been too young to be clever enough to actually communicate with people using text.
I don't know if "clever" is really the right word in this situation, haha... at least it sparked my lifelong love of roleplaying!
Not that it took much sparking, considering I already read a lot.

That’s what you get for being useful, banjo.
Eh?
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • technical difficulties
    • View Profile
« Reply #185512 on: June 03, 2018, 05:07:25 am »

Hey, sometimes you're just not clever enough to make the right mistakes.
Insatiable consumption. Ceaseless motion. Unstoppable destruction.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #185513 on: June 03, 2018, 03:28:56 pm »

I actually have no idea. Drunk posting ftw.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #185514 on: June 03, 2018, 04:37:23 pm »

Hey, cast bronze is cool shit, I recall some dog toys were actually usable sinew btw, but appalachian hickory is actually as good as you can get in the US

Strictly speaking, Maclura pomifera (Osage orange) actually has a higher crushing strength and a significantly higher Janka hardness than any of the Carya species found in the eastern US ("Appalachian hickory" not being a single species), so "as good as you can get" depends on how much you intend to hit things with it and generally bang it around.
Appalachian hickory refers to slow growing trees from a few areas of the eastern us: https://www.kingfisherwoodworks.com/the-strength-of-wood.html

I showed two videos with a guy who specifically tests to destruction, I wouldn't otherwise give any sort of credibility to a claim about some sort of hidden grove of super hickory.

Osage Orange: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MmEMib5hRTA

Appalachian Hickory: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U6alV4ASeyg

Guy has tests from shit as out there as Lignum Vitae, which is actually harder crushing wise but far too heavy for weapon use so it turns into an over heavy lever. Wood has lots of variations, take the reclaimed cabinets I've been making shit from lately, pine has some really soft easy to work with species, then it has trees which were chosen for their knots, that get called knotty pine but there isn't really any such thing. Parts of this wood are easy to work with, then you find a hidden knot while trying to cope out a pretty curve and PTWANG away goes pieces of the blade. I wind up with bits of the wood I remove beforehand and segregate due to knots like the one I made the saw holder from in the background here:
Still on topic because that handle makes me so happy, though also kinda disappointed at the ones I thought were pretty before.

Similarly, hickory is sturdy stuff in general, but tighter grained hickory grown under the right conditions would not be surprising to find it exaggerates those qualities.

redwallzyl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #185515 on: June 03, 2018, 06:02:21 pm »

He is right, it's a very pretty looking wood.

Haspen

• Bay Watcher
  • Cthuwu
    • View Profile
« Reply #185516 on: June 06, 2018, 08:36:43 am »

Turns out there's a short film about videogame Papers Please and it's everything you could expect it to be.

I'm lovin' it already.
SigFlags!
Quote from: Draignean@Spamkingdom+
Truly, we have the most uniquely talented spy network in all existence.
Quote from: mightymushroom@Spamkingdom#
Please tell me the Royal Physician didn't go to the same college as the Spymaster.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #185517 on: June 06, 2018, 09:00:31 am »

Turns out there's a short film about videogame Papers Please and it's everything you could expect it to be.

I'm lovin' it already.
I'm over halfway through and just thought to turn on subtitles, which are in English!  It kinda works without translation, though.  Very impressive film, thanks!
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #185518 on: June 06, 2018, 04:00:30 pm »

I posted this context-free quote from my current read on social media, but I'm gonna put it here as well because going back several chapters to find it and type it out just now made me feel the power of it all over again. This book, and the author in general, has a lot of such moving moments. If it's this potent in the English translation I can only imagine what it would be like to read his work in the original language.

Quote from: The Skating Rink
...and the feeling I had then, the conviction that I wouldn't make it back to shore, the intimation of death by drowning under a matte-blue sky, a sky that looked like a lung in a tub of blue paint, persisted throughout all our subsequent conversations.

Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Enemy post

• Bay Watcher
  • Modder/GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #185519 on: June 06, 2018, 08:30:12 pm »

I played To the Moon again today.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2018, 08:44:49 pm by Enemy post »
My mods and forum games.
Enemy post has claimed the title of Dragonsong the Harmonic of Melodious Exaltion!
Pages: 1 ... 12366 12367 [12368] 12369 12370 ... 13312