Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 12405 12406 [12407] 12408 12409 ... 13312

Author Topic: [MILK] There were 12 eggs here what did you do with them? (Happy thread?!)  (Read 14556191 times)

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
Re: [Tho] It is made of raw. It creates extra posts [#####+] (Happy thread)
« Reply #186090 on: July 25, 2018, 02:59:18 pm »

You are poop, Mephisto.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #186091 on: July 25, 2018, 03:01:31 pm »

No Man's Sky

TRIGGERED

TRIGGERED

For reals I didn't play this, but I always heard it was less skipping out on specific promises and more "everything was implemented in the most boring way conceivable".

Was this not the case. Also I heard it has been fixed/improved/completed.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #186092 on: July 25, 2018, 03:02:12 pm »

I feel like Black and White was the last game Peter Mollynew actually delivered on.

Thoughts? Also, I wonder where I can get that game these days.
Afaik nowhere. There is some problem making it run in modern systems.

I think I still have the original disk...
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

TamerVirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Who cares
    • View Profile
« Reply #186093 on: July 25, 2018, 03:10:21 pm »

I feel like Black and White was the last game Peter Mollynew actually delivered on.

Not a fan of the Fable series?
He also made The Movies, which I'm fond of, but is mostly forgotten nowadays
What can mysteriously disappear can mysteriously reappear
*Shakes fist at TamerVirus*

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • technical difficulties
    • View Profile
« Reply #186094 on: July 25, 2018, 03:10:40 pm »

For reals I didn't play this, but I always heard it was less skipping out on specific promises and more "everything was implemented in the most boring way conceivable".

It's kinda like "oh huh, turns out flying around and looking at barren planets sparsely populated with procgen plants and animals gets boring really fucking quickly."
Or literally Spore. Remember Spore? Good times.
Insatiable consumption. Ceaseless motion. Unstoppable destruction.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #186095 on: July 25, 2018, 03:12:31 pm »

No Man's Sky

TRIGGERED

TRIGGERED

It was both. In addition to it being a boring ass game, they also lied about the content, like it being a shared universe with potential for multiplayer.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #186096 on: July 25, 2018, 03:20:09 pm »

Got it, yeah. That does sound disappointing.

Not a fan of the Fable series?
He also made The Movies, which I'm fond of, but is mostly forgotten nowadays

I actually was a fan of Fable 1 and 2. He made stupid fake promises about Fable 1, but it turned out to be a genuinely enjoyable game to me regardless.

He's still the God of Lies.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #186097 on: July 25, 2018, 03:30:27 pm »

It's kinda like "oh huh, turns out flying around and looking at barren planets sparsely populated with procgen plants and animals gets boring really fucking quickly."
Or literally Spore. Remember Spore? Good times.

Spore was actually fun, though, despite all its flaws as broken promises.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #186098 on: July 25, 2018, 03:49:09 pm »

There was more to do in Spore's space stage than looking at planets. You could terraform them (which is quite relaxing and fun), populate plants, herbivores and carnivores, collect and genetically engineer life-forms, and turn them into sentient space-faring races, then try and build them up into an allied empire. All while building your own colonies and empire, exploring, going on trade routes, attacking enemy planets and stuff. Oh, and I recall there being some sort of tech tree and ship upgrades, plus you have the main quest to battle your way to the center of the galaxy, which is pretty challenging, especially on the hard difficulty.

There was also a cool feature, in that if you played a race in one game then started again, the kaiju on your starting world would be your race from the first time. I got my girlfriend at the time these plushy toy rotweiler pups, and based my first Spore creature on the toy. Then, started another game (on hardest difficulty), and had this gigantic killer doggie plushy trying to kill everything.

I don't know how that exactly compares to No Man's Sky, but there are plenty of things to do in Spore's space stage: unlike No Man's Sky, which uses seeds etc, you can completely rebuild the Spore galaxy almost any way you like.

The Ocean, Creature and Space stages were all pretty good. It's the middle stages which sucked: tribal and civilization stage. They just needed a better flow from Creature to Space. You basically want to take your time in Creature stage, spend a bit of time with Tribal, since it's kinda funny, speed right past Civilization stage (it's just a poor man's RTS) and spend a lot of time in Space. Also, it really helps if you go into the game with a clear concept for the race you want to create.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2018, 04:01:13 pm by Reelya »

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #186099 on: July 25, 2018, 04:40:51 pm »

Afaik nowhere. There is some problem making it run in modern systems.

I think I still have the original disk...

I do! I do! ...somewhere.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • technical difficulties
    • View Profile
« Reply #186100 on: July 25, 2018, 04:51:16 pm »

Well, yeah I'll admit that Spore was pretty good, and not having played NMS it's probably even better than that game. (The multiplayer components, such as they are, actually exist and work! :P)

I just think it had a lot of wasted potential. Like, you can reshape a lot of things, but the actual shape of your creations matters only in Cell stage. Cell stage is great, and I wish the game were more like that. In creature, it doesn't matter what your limb layout is, or how many legs you have, or wither you put spikes on your arms or your back, or even how many spikes you put on. All that matters is what parts are present, which in turn gives you a set of generic abilities. Your creature's speed ONLY depends on the type of foot you have. The strength of your bite ONLY depends on what mouth you have. Whether or you you can fly just depends on if you have wings somewhere on the design. Anywhere. Doesn't matter how heavy, how big. Buildings and spacecraft designs are actually purely cosmetic. Civ stage vehicles are almost interesting, but it's just three meters with a tradeoff between speed, HP, and damage depending on what you stick on.

Basically, the importance of the editor in terms of actual gameplay started off at its peak, with cell stage, and then gradually fell off until Space, at which point the only use it has is making pretty/dorky looking things to show to your friends.
Insatiable consumption. Ceaseless motion. Unstoppable destruction.

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #186101 on: July 25, 2018, 09:40:59 pm »

Honestly when was the last time someone created a "good" AAA god game anyways? Simulation games are only really decent if they're made by some really obsessed indie guy.
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

KittyTac

• Bay Watcher
  • Impending Catsplosion. [PREFSTRING:aloofness]
    • View Profile
« Reply #186102 on: July 25, 2018, 10:15:18 pm »

Played the hell out of Spore when I was younger. It was glitchy as **** on my old Windows XP laptop, though.
Don't trust this toaster that much, it could be a villain in disguise.
Mostly phone-posting, sorry for any typos or autocorrect hijinks.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #186103 on: July 25, 2018, 10:18:29 pm »

There was more to do in Spore's space stage than looking at planets. You could terraform them (which is quite relaxing and fun), populate plants, herbivores and carnivores, collect and genetically engineer life-forms, and turn them into sentient space-faring races, then try and build them up into an allied empire. All while building your own colonies and empire, exploring, going on trade routes, attacking enemy planets and stuff. Oh, and I recall there being some sort of tech tree and ship upgrades, plus you have the main quest to battle your way to the center of the galaxy, which is pretty challenging, especially on the hard difficulty.
You fool! The only true, proper way to play Space Stage was to rush bombs and then conquer everything between you and the Galactic Core in preparation for the ultimate battle with the Grox (or joining them, which was always good for a laugh).
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Mech#4

• Bay Watcher
  • (ಠ_ృ) Like a sir.
    • View Profile
« Reply #186104 on: July 25, 2018, 11:48:14 pm »

I did enjoy playing through Black and White, though that was limited because the game had no skirmish/free play maps so you had to play one of the 6-ish campaign maps over and over again for that.
There was also the expansion Creature Isle but I don't remember too much of that. It had more creature species and I think the maps had small mini-games set up to mess around with.
Black and White 2 was an interesting continuation. I remember the armies being fun to use but it also had no skirmish maps so you had to play through campaign maps with their objectives over and over again, limiting your experimentation with the later spells and tools.

As for the Fable series, I've played through 1 and 3 and enjoyed them both. I never played through Fable 2 since it was on XBox. The Movies I didn't play as much even though I was looking forward to it before release. It had a lot of detail and fun mechanics but I think it was a bit too easy similar to more recent Tropico games where the mechanics don't impact gameplay as much as they should.

I remember Spores space age being fun to explore but as soon as you met up with multiple alien races they'd all start asking you to do tasks for them. Not doing so meant they'd get angry with you and eventually go to war. I've only played the base Spore game.

My favorite god game is still Populous: The Beginning. Summoning volcanos and meteor storms, sinking buildings into the ocean with erosion and earthquakes. The game has so much to do with what it gives you.
Kaypy:Adamantine in a poorly defended fortress is the royal equivalent of an unclaimed sock on a battlefield.

Here's a thread listing Let's Players found on the internet. Feel free to add.
List of Notable Mods. Feel free to add.
Pages: 1 ... 12405 12406 [12407] 12408 12409 ... 13312