Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 12406 12407 [12408] 12409 12410 ... 13312

Author Topic: [MILK] There were 12 eggs here what did you do with them? (Happy thread?!)  (Read 14539045 times)

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
Re: [Tho] It is made of raw. It creates extra posts [#####+] (Happy thread)
« Reply #186105 on: July 26, 2018, 03:21:08 am »

I remember being so bloody mad about the many disappointments of the first Fable game, but I still played the shit out of it regardless.
I'm talkin' hundreds of hours at least. I'd check the numbers but my original xbox finally gave up the ghost, I believe, and in any case it's hidden away in storage somewhere.

I guess a sex minigame and decent decapitations trump even the deepest of betrayals when you're fourteen years of age.

Fun fact: fourteen was actually my first guess as to how old I was when it came out, then I overnight overthought it and googled the game to confirm before editing that in, found I was correct and rushed back to submit but was too slow to avoid an unsightly edited notice on the post.
I should have known better than to doubt myself like that.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2018, 06:48:50 am by Yoink »
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #186106 on: July 26, 2018, 03:39:18 am »

-snip-
« Last Edit: January 18, 2019, 02:03:34 pm by dragdeler »
let

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
  • Baal's More Evil American Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #186107 on: July 26, 2018, 04:41:27 am »

My favorite god game is still Populous: The Beginning.

Dug that up two years ago, so in like 2016 I still could play trough 15 levels of the campaign before getting bored... So sad nobody ever wanted to play this on lan parties :(

That game was dope. Best level was when your shaman was captured and you had to rescue her.
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #186108 on: July 26, 2018, 10:53:32 pm »

I got to ride a train, to the Natural History Museum, where for 5 hours I showed off my "random" science knowledge to 4 of my preteen second-cousins (children of my cousin).

So I'm officially a cool uncle, in that most time-honored tradition:  Coming in with fresh batteries when their primary caretakers are completely burnt out :P  But being cool by matching their energy, somehow listening to 2-3 simultaneously, and spouting science trivia is how I'd like to be remembered~

Also as we unloaded from the bus (return trip) I complimented a guy's hair.  It looked just like Yoink's, and he had a rad shirt with runes.

I remember getting a few compliments like that when my hair was dyed, it felt good.  I like to pass that on sometimes, to people I'll never see again.  That way it's totally pure and zero-expectation.

Also I relaxed at home with pasta, Pokemon, and Star Trek TNG.  Gonna feel healthy in the morning (:
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #186109 on: July 26, 2018, 11:42:40 pm »

Honestly when was the last time someone created a "good" AAA god game anyways? Simulation games are only really decent if they're made by some really obsessed indie guy.
I didn't read closely and I was so ready with my answers.  But yeah... for that particular combo I've got nothing.  Does anyone still remember Black and White I guess?  Never even played that one, it was before my time.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #186110 on: July 27, 2018, 01:30:18 am »

Honestly when was the last time someone created a "good" AAA god game anyways? Simulation games are only really decent if they're made by some really obsessed indie guy.

The real issue at the heart of this is that there's "experimental" design, where you use untested ideas, and it can come up with something really cool, but it's more likely to end in colossal failure as you find out whatever you did doesn't actually work. When it's just one guy building a simulation, that's low-risk: you're only risking the effort of that one guy, but when there's also $80 million dollars invested in artwork, models and marketing, then the "experimental" part of the design becomes a huge financial risk.

Molyneux's problem is that he approaches things as if he's still that lone 80's dev building Populous for 8-bit machines, where you can cheaply try out new ideas. And back then graphics and stuff were so low that you could specify huge ideas and they were represented so crudely that people would accept it. Now, with hi-res textures and movie-quality 3D, idea execution is a lot more expensive. Molyneux is leading large projects now, and the people on the project and the financiers tell him "it just can't be done". And they're right, so the grand ideas get whittled down to achievable, measurable results.

In Spore terms, it was asked why the evolution model is mainly cosmetic. Because we know how to move a thing around that's just a physics blob that has a cosmetic skin attached. The code to do so is tested, and it runs fast. We don't know how to build an entire physics system around evolving, articulate beings, and the frame rate would end up being abysmal. Sure, you can try, but where is one single working example? The odds of making it work are very low. And you have a budget in the 10's of millions that will go down the tubes if your magic experimental ragdoll alien physics system doesn't work, and you won't be asked to make any more games after pulling that shit, that would be your last one. This is why AAA devs with big ideas end up making fairly safe things where they're actually constructed out of known, working elements: you have to prove that every system you're going to build will work before production begins.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2018, 01:35:44 am by Reelya »

KittyTac

• Bay Watcher
  • Impending Catsplosion. [PREFSTRING:aloofness]
    • View Profile
« Reply #186111 on: July 27, 2018, 02:05:05 am »

This is why I will be an indie game developer. Less constraints, more room for experimental concepts.
Don't trust this toaster that much, it could be a villain in disguise.
Mostly phone-posting, sorry for any typos or autocorrect hijinks.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #186112 on: July 27, 2018, 02:37:55 am »

This is a silly thing to celebrate, but I got to Masters rank in Eternal CCG, a game I've been playing for the better part of a year now. I've been going the F2P route, so improving my card collection bit by bit was slowgoing. I managed to brew up a deck that works though, and grinded in matchmaking all day, and finally at past 3am I managed to get to Masters. Yay!

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #186113 on: July 27, 2018, 02:41:04 am »

This is why I will be an indie game developer. Less constraints, more room for experimental concepts.

Yep. Though before some ppl slam AAA devs for not being "brave" like indie devs, always trying out new ideas. Think about this:

- indie dev fails: moves back into "mom's basement".

- AAA dev fails: has to tell 100 close friends and colleagues that they are out of a job and can't provide for their familes.

IcyTea31

• Bay Watcher
  • Studying functions and fiction
    • View Profile
« Reply #186114 on: July 27, 2018, 03:20:09 am »

The constraints come from the money involved. On the other hand, you're not risking a lot in creating something novel, on the other hand you won't necessarily have the resources to make exactly the game you want.
There is a world yet only seen by physicists and magicians.

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
  • Requires music to get through the working day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #186115 on: July 27, 2018, 03:33:31 am »

This is a silly thing to celebrate, but I got to Masters rank in Eternal CCG, a game I've been playing for the better part of a year now. I've been going the F2P route, so improving my card collection bit by bit was slowgoing. I managed to brew up a deck that works though, and grinded in matchmaking all day, and finally at past 3am I managed to get to Masters. Yay!
Nice!
In any case it would be a battle of critical thinking and I refuse to fight an unarmed individual.
One mustn't stare into the pathos, lest one become Pathos.

KittyTac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #186116 on: July 27, 2018, 03:34:58 am »

The constraints come from the money involved. On the other hand, you're not risking a lot in creating something novel, on the other hand you won't necessarily have the resources to make exactly the game you want.
Sure. But most of that limited money would go into gameplay rather than graphics or the marketing.

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
  • Requires music to get through the working day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #186117 on: July 27, 2018, 03:37:46 am »

Sure. But most of that limited money would go into gameplay rather than graphics or the marketing.
Especially now that these days marketing gets super cheap with social media and press sites hunting down scoops to feed the news cycle.
In any case it would be a battle of critical thinking and I refuse to fight an unarmed individual.
One mustn't stare into the pathos, lest one become Pathos.

KittyTac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #186118 on: July 27, 2018, 03:47:08 am »

Especially now that these days marketing gets super cheap with social media and press sites hunting down scoops to feed the news cycle.
And especially now that indie games can get away with pixel graphics, which can be realistically drawn by the developer without needing a dedicated artist. A game can be developed on almost literally no budget now.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2018, 03:53:40 am by KittyTac »

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #186119 on: July 27, 2018, 09:52:14 am »

And especially now that indie games can get away with pixel graphics, which can be realistically drawn by the developer without needing a dedicated artist. A game can be developed on almost literally no budget now.

This seems like a redundant statement, considering where we're having this conversation...
Pages: 1 ... 12406 12407 [12408] 12409 12410 ... 13312