Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 12539 12540 [12541] 12542 12543 ... 13311

Author Topic: [MILK] There were 12 eggs here what did you do with them? (Happy thread?!)  (Read 14522522 times)

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
Re: [Tho] It is made of raw. It creates extra posts [#####+] (Happy thread)
« Reply #188100 on: November 25, 2018, 07:32:35 am »

I just want to know why all of his saws are miter saws.  No 2-man saws, no limb saws... no... all have been miter saws.  what gives?

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
  • Baal's More Evil American Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #188101 on: November 25, 2018, 08:41:11 am »

Forgot to mention a Happy: cooked and ate hot dogs with my housemate earlier, after a discussion wandered onto the topic of hotdogs and sparked cravings.

... Aren't you vegetarian?
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #188102 on: November 25, 2018, 08:44:33 am »

No, I used to be - these days I'm vegan.
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
  • Baal's More Evil American Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #188103 on: November 25, 2018, 08:49:26 am »

Vegan... Hot dogs.

Hot dogs have to be literally the opposite of vegan food. They're like someone scooped up all the misery, pain, and delicious left over body parts and made a horror-sausage with it.

(I know vegan hot dogs are a thing btw, my brain just short-circuited when I realized it was you saying that Yoink)
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #188104 on: November 25, 2018, 08:52:38 am »

If adding beans to a hotdog makes it a chili dog

Does that mean all vegan hotdogs are chili dogs by default?
Love, scriver~

scourge728

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #188105 on: November 25, 2018, 10:07:46 am »

If adding beans to a hotdog makes it a chili dog

Does that mean all vegan hotdogs are chili dogs by default?
yes

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #188106 on: November 25, 2018, 11:36:23 am »

Hot dogs have to be literally the opposite of vegan food. They're like someone scooped up all the misery, pain, and delicious left over body parts and made a horror-sausage with it.
I dunno, I've certainly had some realistic vegan frankfurts/other sausages (not that I really go after realism - all ya need is a meaty cylindrical object to slide between your buns, after all) over the years. There's a lot of meal/stuffing in "normal" sausages that contributes to the texture, I think.

I dunno about the chili dog thing. We added sriracha to most of ours, anyway. *shrug*   
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #188107 on: November 25, 2018, 12:03:03 pm »

Fancy new phone (moto g6) with modern camera bullshit effects like blur.
Spoiler: Woooo, artsy! (click to show/hide)

Nice to see you're mastering photography ontop of sawmaking, just so you can take better pictures of saws.
It was 100% the camera being awesome, and get this: it's not even that great of a camera nowadays. The screen is fucking LUSH and huge and absurd for a $0.00/month phone (with the plan we have+black friday) and the glass front/back is all sleek and massy, the fingerprint reader works wonderfully, the in-system transitions/launches/etc are all crisp and satisfyingly animated, while the camera is apparently slow by modern standards, and "only" a 12 mp main/5 mp depth sensor with just the slightest hint of AI for pointing it at shit and having it go "hmmm, I think that's a cat?" which is still awesome but nowhere near what the pixel/apple/xiaomi/huawei flagship cameras do, with their dedicated machine learning chips and  40 mp sensors paired up with depth/time of flight/wide angle/etc systems.

I just want to know why all of his saws are miter saws.  No 2-man saws, no limb saws... no... all have been miter saws.  what gives?
A mitre saw is a backsaw used in a mitre box, mine are dovetail/carcase/tenon, plus panel and frame saws.

Was cutting teeth for a loom and need to let the blade cool down so here's a bit more explanation.

This was my first big saw, a floppy stanley mitre saw with a chintzy yellow plastic mitre box. I hacksawed the blade down from being 3~ inches deep (teeth to spine) and left it 12 inches long (toe to heel, which is nearest your hand) but refiled the teeth from rip cut profile (flat little chisels that scrape wood along the grain best, imagine cutting a board longways so the grain fibers to either side are intact) to a cross cut profile (sloped back to make little shark tooth looking knives that slice the fibers to make it more effective working across the grain to sever them cleanly) and rehandled it a couple times.

Big chunky here is a panel saw, no back, blade is less stiff so care has to be taken to keep cuts straight, with the tradeoff being you can continue cutting long past the point where a backsaw would hit the spine bottom out, usually these are what people think of when you talk about a handsaw, they are common where people are framing houses and whatnot because it's faster to grab a handsaw and knock a piece off of a 2x4 than take it over to your table or circular saw, set it up, make the cut, blah, just tear through it with the panel and move on. Big teeth, crosscut profile, fucking shreds right through wood like a maniac... really messy ends that need to be cleaned up though.

My frame saws are tensioned to use flexible little blades that are good at being turned while you cut, to form curves or do stuff like pop the waste out of a dovetail joint quicker than chiseling it out would be.

A tenon saw is kinda a jack of all trades but ideally it's set up so you can mark the ends of a piece of wood and take off squared up slices of the end, two cuts on the shoulders, two cuts on the cheeks, and you get say... a 2 by 4 with a 1 by 3 section (minus half an inch front/back, minus half an inch on either side) on the end that you can fit into a matching slot or mortise on another piece to produce a strong and stable joint. It was longer but I cut it down to make the cute little dovetail saw beside it which I use because it has a more aggressive tooth profile and slightly thicker blade than my main dovetail saw, allowing me to quickly widen a cut if needed.

Lastly, the fanciest of the lot, my 10 inch dovetail saw, brass back gives a nice weight and stiffness, high teeth per inch and thin blade gives crisp flawless little kerfs that need almost zero cleanup, and the handle/tooth shape/practice let me start and finish a cut for a dovetail joint in a single thrust most of the time. It is used after I've prepared stock with the other saws and gotten it all sized and squared and marked up for jointing and assembly.

I don't have enough room to have the sort of mitre saw I would get, and it's mostly useful for when you're doing like production line work on pieces for furniture or whatnot. When you know you'll need like 20 3 foot long boards with a 35 degree mitre on the ends? That's when you want the big 26+ inch mitre saw with the slides and lockable fence.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2018, 12:48:38 pm by Max™ »

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #188108 on: November 25, 2018, 01:21:19 pm »

I was meaning that they were all rectangular bladed saws, (not referring to blade height, or handle angle/type).

No fancy 2-man saws, curved limb saws, etc. 

I suppose if all you are doing is work inside a shop, you dont need other kinds of saws, but still, 2-man jobs make great decorative items, especially if you treat the blade to make it contain an image. (glass etchant solution with wax resist can do a fine job without seriously compromising the blade's structure.)

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #188110 on: November 25, 2018, 08:40:18 pm »

Quote from: KittyTac
The closest thing Bay12 has to a flamewar is an argument over philosophy that slowly transitioned to an argument about quantum mechanics.
Quote from: thefriendlyhacker
The trick is to only make predictions semi-seriously.  That way, I don't have a 98% failure rate. I have a 98% sarcasm rate.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #188111 on: November 25, 2018, 09:28:21 pm »

I was meaning that they were all rectangular bladed saws, (not referring to blade height, or handle angle/type).

No fancy 2-man saws, curved limb saws, etc. 

I suppose if all you are doing is work inside a shop, you dont need other kinds of saws, but still, 2-man jobs make great decorative items, especially if you treat the blade to make it contain an image. (glass etchant solution with wax resist can do a fine job without seriously compromising the blade's structure.)
We've got a pruning saw outside which I put a three foot long 2-hand-friendly handle on to replace the 1-handed rubber crap it had, it's a good 20 inches long and has a concave toothline.

As for decoration... painting saws is a thing apparently, but while it's a mess, it doesn't generally destroy anything.

On the other hand, there are people who take restorable and in some cases rare antique saws so they can pull the handles off, nail or screw or glue them to a piece of wood, and barf paint and glitter and shit over them after discarding the blades.

I've got several handles which I hermit-crabbed blades from one to another as I improved my designs. Didn't want to just leave them in a pile so I figured I'd mount some on the little shelf I made to hold my tenon saw. I put a screw through the existing bolt hole and thusly display the progression of my handle development without ruining them because they represent time and effort working towards something I enjoyed making, enjoyed using, and now enjoy seeing even if they aren't mounted and working currently.

I'm just a budding sawyer, prior to the wwII era manufacturing changeover if you encountered a handsaw it was made by someone who had possibly been doing it for longer than you were alive, who took pride in their work, and enjoyed knowing they would be used by other craftsmen who would appreciate what it took to make that tool and all the rest they relied on.

Cutting them up for some tacky americana "art" is just being shitty to everyone who made, used, and passed that tool on to others.

I'm preparing to start ordering sheets of spring steel and brass so I can cut my own blanks, file my own teeth, carve my own handles, and fold my own backs for a totally MaxMade™ saw and see if I can't turn the investment on materials and work into a comfortable income while helping others who find themselves in a position I've been in where they really want better tools but can't quite afford the full leap from twenty dollar hobby saws to several hundred dollar boutique saws.

Knowing they were being used and enjoyed would be incredibly satisfying... learning some instagram douche destroyed one so they could act like it's artistic, well, it feels disgusting just thinking about it as a hypothetical.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #188112 on: November 25, 2018, 09:37:26 pm »

I agree that destroying a well made antique is just wrong.

That's why I suggested a superficial etchant treatment. (it removes just a few microns of material off the surface, leaving a diffuse-color area against the polished surface of the blade. 2-tone images can be put on the blade surface, and it can still be fully functional.)

Here's an example, where the technique was used to put the maker's mark on the blade.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

This is decidedly NOT "putting paint and glitter on"-- the blade would be fully functional after application.

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #188113 on: November 26, 2018, 01:20:59 am »

On the other hand, I kiai at every strike because I thought you did that. Apparently I'm supposed to learn the right situations to use them through knowledge diffusion without anyone ever actually mentioning when you make one. Still, I know for next time.

Do so as loudly and as frequently as possible in order to intimidate your opponent and assert your dominance. To keep things interesting, vary your choice of kiai; I personally am a fan of "yeet", "banzai", "gotcha" and "ha-HAA".

Do not do this if you wish to preserve your self-respect, of course. Nonetheless, as I am told they say in China, 不疯魔不成活.

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

IcyTea31

• Bay Watcher
  • Studying functions and fiction
    • View Profile
« Reply #188114 on: November 26, 2018, 02:12:12 am »

You do want to at least do the "boxer's snort" (i.e. sharply exhale) to tense your body at the moment of impact. A kiai is there to do the same, plus to give you the confidence to not unconsciously pull the punch. Don't think about when you should shout the kiai, since it's specifically there to stop you from overthinkin. Shout it whenever it feels right. If that's with every strike, well, then it's with every strike.

Remember though: a good martial artist screams before punching something, a bad martial artist screams after punching something.

I personally am a fan of "yeet", "banzai", "gotcha" and "ha-HAA".
I don't really understand how multiple-syllable kiai are supposed to work, or ones that are meaningful words. If the weight is on the first syllable, the tail gets awkward, if the weight is on the last syllable, it telegraphs the strike, and if it's a meaningful word, it takes brainpower to pronounce it right.

My kiai is usually just a simple "Hai" if I'm feeling disciplined, or a loud, prolonged "Aaaaaargh" (others tend to call it a "viking scream") if I'm doing it more for the confidence than the tension, or for things other than martial arts.
There is a world yet only seen by physicists and magicians.
Pages: 1 ... 12539 12540 [12541] 12542 12543 ... 13311