Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 12616 12617 [12618] 12619 12620 ... 13312

Author Topic: [MILK] There were 12 eggs here what did you do with them? (Happy thread?!)  (Read 14558436 times)

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
Re: [Why] Sssoomebody once told me- (Happy thread)
« Reply #189255 on: February 21, 2019, 01:04:18 am »

Mmmmm, delicious.
I don't eat fish, so I gotta get my mercury poisoning from somewhere!

LIDL, on sale.

They were "Mini" Avocados, but they were like the size of my fist anyway.
How big are your fists, though?
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #189256 on: February 21, 2019, 03:10:43 am »

Double post, my apologies.

It's been a fairly stressful day all 'round, but I just saw a psychiatrist for the second time in my life - and the first time in like, eight years.
Right now I'm feeling pretty drained and numb from that intense bout of personal pop quiz, on top of all the stress I'd already accrued throughout the day, but I guess this is progress, right? Also, I got prescribed something. Hopefully it isn't one of these "let's just throw something at the problem and see if it sticks, let no-one leave here unmedicated" cases I hear people complain about from time to time.
This doctor seemed fairly legit, though. *shrug*
« Last Edit: February 21, 2019, 03:13:18 am by Yoink »
Booze is Life for Yoink

Castlecliff

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #189257 on: February 21, 2019, 04:06:13 am »

You will be sorry

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #189258 on: February 21, 2019, 04:17:54 am »

The first sessions are always pretty rough around the edges, as there's a lot of ground to cover in order to get a base they can work off of. It's only once you've been keeping it up for a while that the relationship really starts to develop and you can see if they're the right fit.

As for t"hrowing meds at someone and seeing if something sticks", you know what's great about that? Sometimes something sticks. And then the therapy gets a lot more helpful.

If it doesn't work, then you throw something else at it. Continue until you get something that works for you.

It is perhaps a little early to prescribe something on the first meeting, but there are a lot of safe medications that can be tried out in an exploratory way. If they're giving something like Xanax or habit-forming sleeping pills on the first pass before learning more about you and trying alternatives though, then you should probably raise an eyebrow in a condescendingly skeptical manner.

Castlecliff

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #189259 on: February 21, 2019, 04:42:52 am »

Oh yeah totally just red the first sentence and threw words out there heh.
Yoinky have you considered exercise. Yes its hard to start. And maybe wuit drinking for a bit to see if it helps your anxiety? I know for sure that exercise helped my anxiety but you might habe differing results. Definitely try the druggos but they shouldn't be an end all. As a jump start they could rocket you into true confidence.

You are a cool guy. Stop caring about the masses of npc's they don't even have thoughts anyway.

His fists are tiny. Makes me look big by comparison  ;)

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #189260 on: February 21, 2019, 05:50:38 am »

If they're giving something like Xanax or habit-forming sleeping pills on the first pass before learning more about you and trying alternatives though, then you should probably raise an eyebrow in a condescendingly skeptical manner.
Well yeah, if I'd recognised the name of any of those fun -azepam type things I would have done a double-take. I looked this one up, though, and apparently it's just a fairly lightweight SSRI.
Now, I've seen a lot of hate for SSRIs, but the bulk of it seems to be purely anecdotal - people vehemently describing all SSRIs as "poison" because the medication they were on disagreed with them, that sort of thing.
I'm still not entirely sure how I feel about this, but I'll give it a try for a few weeks and see how it works for me. Certainly a better option than being prescribed the aforementioned benzos. D:

And maybe wuit drinking for a bit to see if it helps your anxiety?
ಠ_ಠ     
But yeah, I'm hoping these will act as a "jump start", making me better able to make a start on all the things I could be doing to improve my base QoL. Good point about the opinions of the masses, unfortunately that's more of an irrational concern of mine.
I don't care about them, but at the same time I still care about them, nahmean?
Booze is Life for Yoink

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #189261 on: February 21, 2019, 10:39:54 am »

Yeah, I've been on SSRIs for the past several years. They're fine, unless you get a rare reaction. There's some absolutely bullshit bullshit where it can fuck up your willy's ability, but you know what else can fuck that up? Anxiety and depression... So even though that's an unfortunately common side effect, it's sorta "damned if you do, damned if you don't".

The main side effect that I experienced personally was actually that taking the pills would make my face flush for a couple hours afterwards, but that went away after the first week. Since then it's just been "Wow, normally I'd be falling into a deep black pit around now. Instead I just feel slightly bored".

There's a reason that SSRIs are so widely used, and that's because they're generally very safe and non-disruptive for their effectiveness.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #189262 on: February 21, 2019, 10:52:43 am »

Willybility
Love, scriver~

Shook

• Bay Watcher
  • ◦ ◡ ◦
    • View Profile
    • DeviantArt page
« Reply #189263 on: February 21, 2019, 03:37:06 pm »

I wasn't quite so lucky with my SSRI's, i ended up having tremors (that got immensely compounded by energy drinks, my entire body was shaking), nausea, nilly willy ability and panic attacks. Began weaning off immediately after the panic attacks, didn't want to deal with that shit. Ironically, i've actually felt a lot better since i stopped. Side effects besides, it could very well be that the treatment/episode knocked something back in place in my head, because i feel like i've come out of a minor depression. I've also had a couple of fairly bad panic attacks post cessation though (one lasted two eternally long hours and fucked me up so much i was still reeling the following day), but i'm pretty sure that's just my anxiety getting stuck in a loop now that i know how bad it can get. :V

As for something happy though, i think i might finally have gotten a minor epiphany regarding said anxiety: I've been going at it all wrong. I've thought of it as an enemy, a bad part of me that needed to be beaten into submission and excised from my very being. Indeed, beating down an enemy does hamper its efforts sometimes, but also makes it redouble its efforts to get back at you. But, i've realized that it's not an enemy. It's a scared and sometimes hysterical child. You don't fix that by yelling at it to shut up. Instead, what i need to do is to work with it. Bring the scared little scamp close and let it calm down on its own. Agree that the metaphorical sharks in the metaphorical water are scary, but you're in a metaphorical boat, so jumping overboard isn't going to make them less scary.

Now obviously, for more severe cases of anxiety than mine (which only gets really bad when feedback loops enter the picture), this might not be effective, and it has had the effect of making me feel the gut tingling sensation noticeably more often (might also be aftershocks from the previously mentioned Dire Panic Attack(tm) which happened monday night), but the point is that it doesn't really affect me like it has done before. I've even managed to halt an incoming panic attack this way, even if it was the exact same initial sensation as what kicked the big one off. It is of course a LOT tougher to maintain that mindset once a panic attack has actually started though, i'm sure many of you know how much they can warp your thoughts while you're going through hell.
Twitter i guess
also deviantART page
Quote from: Girlinhat
It may be worthwhile to have the babies fall into ring of fortifications or windows, to prevent anyone from catching and saving them.
[01:27] <Octomobile> MMM THATS GOOD FIST BUTTER

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #189264 on: February 21, 2019, 05:02:20 pm »

Ehh, generally the only time my downstairs neighbour sees any action in the field, any "willybility" is already likely to be compromised by copious amounts of alcohol.
Admittedly, the little dude's never had any problems with posture on such occasions, but he does have an unfortunate tendency to just ramble on and on and on and bore whoever he's visiting to death.

In other Happy news: lately I have noticed a marked increase in the number of female 'tradies' (or possibly just labourers) slogging away on the various council-run construction sites littering my suburb.
That's kinda cool, right? I am yet to be catcalled by any of them, though. :<
« Last Edit: February 21, 2019, 05:03:51 pm by Yoink »
Booze is Life for Yoink

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
  • Requires music to get through the working day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #189265 on: February 22, 2019, 12:56:28 am »

I am yet to be catcalled by any of them, though. :<
Grow your hair out more?

Only half joking.
In any case it would be a battle of critical thinking and I refuse to fight an unarmed individual.
One mustn't stare into the pathos, lest one become Pathos.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #189266 on: February 22, 2019, 01:29:37 am »

What joke, it's a good look on him
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #189267 on: February 22, 2019, 01:31:13 am »

My Thursday evenings are now booked with three hours of fencing followed by an hour and a half of taekwondo. It's horrifically exhausting and I wouldn't have it any other way. I haven't had such a good workout in months.

What joke, it's a good look on him

If Yoink grew out his hair any more it would devour him though

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #189268 on: February 22, 2019, 01:38:58 am »

Yeah, I've been on SSRIs for the past several years. They're fine, unless you get a rare reaction. There's some absolutely bullshit bullshit where it can fuck up your willy's ability, but you know what else can fuck that up? Anxiety and depression... So even though that's an unfortunately common side effect, it's sorta "damned if you do, damned if you don't".

The main side effect that I experienced personally was actually that taking the pills would make my face flush for a couple hours afterwards, but that went away after the first week. Since then it's just been "Wow, normally I'd be falling into a deep black pit around now. Instead I just feel slightly bored".

There's a reason that SSRIs are so widely used, and that's because they're generally very safe and non-disruptive for their effectiveness.
I've taken other categories of antidepressant that had moderate side effects, but the one SSRI I've tried/am on never did anything bad to me.  The first two I tried were other categories, in both cases side effects eventually forced me to try something else.  I can honestly say even when they weren't working nothing the meds did was scarier than depression itself.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #189269 on: February 22, 2019, 02:18:20 am »

I completely forgot to mention SSRIs in my previous post >_>

Yeah most people have no issue with them. They made me need to urinate slightly more often than usual for the first week I took them, and they miiiight make my throat feel dry a little more easily than otherwise, but on the whole that's a small price to pay for my sanity.

Edit: Also, I now have a supervisor and project. That project happens to be pretty close to the cutting edge of research in the field. It's really cool.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2019, 05:32:37 am by Arx »

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.
Pages: 1 ... 12616 12617 [12618] 12619 12620 ... 13312