Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 12631 12632 [12633] 12634 12635 ... 13312

Author Topic: [MILK] There were 12 eggs here what did you do with them? (Happy thread?!)  (Read 14551857 times)

ggamer

• Bay Watcher
  • Reach Heaven through Violence
    • View Profile
Re: [Why] Sssoomebody once told me- (Happy thread)
« Reply #189480 on: March 14, 2019, 08:03:04 pm »

I always thought that was wierd, it's the one thing I like about xcom fanfiction. Of course a multi million dollar international organization would have a fuckin' AC130 or something to help. Sure, some missions are in a 'danger close' kind of situation, but even then you'd have interdiction of alien air assets from local AF planes. Something! It's totally just flavor, but you know, I'm a sucker for it.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #189481 on: March 14, 2019, 08:14:42 pm »

Yeah, when first unlocked the... Thunderbird?  The combination fighter-transport, which lands instantly after interception...  I honestly expected one of the benefits to be that the aliens would still be hunkered down in the UFO, instead of scattered across the entire map.

Why the hell is there terrain fog of war ANY of the time honestly, except as a placeholder for areas left to clear out...

X-Piratez actually addresses the "last enemy" issue a lot, though.  Stunned enemies still get up, but they no longer count against mission completion so they don't require babysitting.  Good thing, considering how much stunning you're expected to do for $$$.  This even applies to panicked enemies too, so a particularly good turn can get a win as offscreen enemies surrender.

And if there's just a few left after 20 turns or so, they become visible on the minimap.

Edit:  OH RIGHT X-piratez also gives you a parrot, who can fly around and reveal the early maps quite handily.  And pretty quickly you acquire dogs, who are very similar but also cheap and deadly melee combatants - with built in motion sensors (scent).
« Last Edit: March 14, 2019, 08:21:55 pm by Rolan7 »
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • technical difficulties
    • View Profile
« Reply #189482 on: March 14, 2019, 08:27:45 pm »

I do wish for an X-Com style game with more integration between air and ground combat. Like having your interceptors provide air support, but also having time passing during the mission also pass time on the globe. If you shoot down a light scout, you should be on a bit of a time limit before the aliens' own interceptors arrive, shoot down your air cover, and start shooting at your troops.
Insatiable consumption. Ceaseless motion. Unstoppable destruction.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #189483 on: March 14, 2019, 08:41:31 pm »

Also, what the heck? Warhammer 40k mod? where?
Pretty sure that's just native. A defense force made up of faceless mooks with t-shirts and flashlights backed up by air support and heavy weapons platforms taking on a gene-editing alien conglomerate of multiple incorporated species (being lead by a mysterious elite caste of ethereals) wielding super-accurate long-range plasma rifles.

It's just a good ol' game of IG vs. Tau.
Heh, true enough.

There's also a 40k mod for OpenXCOM though.  Like X-Piratez, it requires a copy of X-COM for data files, but IIRC they have their own installers since they significantly modded OpenXCOM itself.
X-Piratez: https://openxcom.org/forum/index.php/board,18.0.html
40k: https://openxcom.org/forum/index.php/board,25.0.html
Gonna have to check these out tomorrow.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

ggamer

• Bay Watcher
  • Reach Heaven through Violence
    • View Profile
« Reply #189484 on: March 14, 2019, 10:15:58 pm »

X-Piratez actually addresses the "last enemy" issue a lot, though.  Stunned enemies still get up, but they no longer count against mission completion so they don't require babysitting.  Good thing, considering how much stunning you're expected to do for $$$.  This even applies to panicked enemies too, so a particularly good turn can get a win as offscreen enemies surrender.

Edit:  OH RIGHT X-piratez also gives you a parrot, who can fly around and reveal the early maps quite handily.  And pretty quickly you acquire dogs, who are very similar but also cheap and deadly melee combatants - with built in motion sensors (scent).

Oh! I noticed that the other day! Had a reasonably hard target for early game, four highwaymen with niner's and shotguns in a busted up two story office building (in... the middle of nowhere. gotta have somewhere to put all those sketchy research facilities, i guess?) surrounded by flat terrain. I had a 5 gal team (two sharpshooters, one high tu/rea cutlass gal, one shotgun/grenadier, one stunner/melee) to tackle the situation with. It was a hard approach, and on seeing us the two with shotguns dropped down to meet us at short range. One sharpshooter gets nicked and goes down with the extra stun from hot weather, the grenadier gets a belly of buckshot and hits the ground hard. Lucky for me, my scout manages to grab a molly off my grenadier and hit the second floor, and my sharpshooter/stunner manage to take care of the two outside. After that, lo and behold, one of the highwayman surrenders after having his mates fucked up by crazy eight foot tall amazon warrior women! Fun little emergent gameplay moment, that made me consider using mollies MUCH more often than I usually do (can't kidnap a pile of ashes, but firebombing a couple mooks to get the moneybags and the leader? Well worth it).

Also, uh, how am I supposed to get dogs? I can't see an option to train the ones I have, even though I researched them  ???

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #189485 on: March 14, 2019, 10:57:05 pm »

Based on the Tech Tree Viewer (press Q on the main map then Select Topic, in this case "attack dog"), you should be able to research Acquire Dogs after you complete Visit Nearby Town.  I think both are researches.  Then dogs'll be available for purchase.

Visit Nearby Town unlocks a whole lot of purchaseables itself, the dogs require that extra step I guess.

...Oh no, I've finally loaded this game back up and I'm supposed to sleep soon :P
She/they
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #189486 on: March 16, 2019, 10:58:45 pm »

I got Mass Effect Trilogy on Xbox (even though it's covered in FUCKING PRICE STICKERS) and a nice Overwatch art print today. I also got to eat at one of my favorite restaurants.
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #189487 on: March 17, 2019, 05:23:53 pm »

Seeing people talking about it on here made me redownload xpiratez. It sure has changed since the last time I played it - it seems to have plot now.

Still, I'm not quite sure how to do anything with the plantation I built. I don't see any new options in Manufacturing. Unless I need to research uberwheat or something first?
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #189488 on: March 17, 2019, 06:59:13 pm »

It feels like the ubers are less invulnerable than before, I've been struggling with only 6 ubers and several-month recuperations...  that's almost certainly because I started a new save. Can't directly recruit ubers with goddess-stats and reasonable armor. They're still a lot better than peasants though.

One change I noticed was an early, permanent decision about allowing men.
Spoiler: mild and important (click to show/hide)

I don't have a plantation in this version yet, but previously it merely had a large negative upkeep. Later you can put special crops on them by building over, and eventually "selling" them to harvest (reverts to base plantations). IIRC these special crops didn't exceed the base profitability, but the plants have industrial uses.
She/they

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #189489 on: March 17, 2019, 07:01:33 pm »

For a moment I thought you meant Ubers as in the drive service, and was curious about the recuperations and the apparent (repealed) ban on male Uber drivers.

Actually, I didn't understand most of the post thanks to that.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #189490 on: March 18, 2019, 02:29:28 am »

I'll accept it.
Love, scriver~

methylatedspirit

• Bay Watcher
  • it/its
    • View Profile
« Reply #189491 on: March 19, 2019, 07:08:35 am »

My teacher just gave me a bag of advanced* math books. Hell yeah.
*more advanced than I'm "supposed" to know, at least.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #189492 on: March 19, 2019, 04:45:04 pm »

The four-packs of Mother Frosty Berry at my local supermarket, already ridiculously cheap by energy drink standards, were half-price this morning!
What a nice surprise. I'll have to go back and stock up.
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #189493 on: March 20, 2019, 03:43:23 am »

The PortaPros are hella bassy
Sounds like it could be a brand of portable toilet, which may sound bassy while occupied.
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #189494 on: March 20, 2019, 06:22:27 am »

My poops sound like goa trance.
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.
Pages: 1 ... 12631 12632 [12633] 12634 12635 ... 13312