Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 12644 12645 [12646] 12647 12648 ... 13312

Author Topic: [MILK] There were 12 eggs here what did you do with them? (Happy thread?!)  (Read 14560045 times)

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
Re: [Why] Sssoomebody once told me- (Happy thread)
« Reply #189675 on: April 13, 2019, 02:03:52 pm »

Definitely better for me vis a vis fatigue and repetitive stress injuries.

I work 0 hour weeks over 0 days.

'Cause I'm just unemployable like that.
:( That is rough.
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #189676 on: April 13, 2019, 02:13:29 pm »

Try small businesses in your area. Less likely to run you through an online application process and actually get you an interview. Managements not as strenuous about who gets through hr. Bad news, management might not be very competent at all. But proving you can function without management makes you even more hireable!
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #189677 on: April 13, 2019, 02:26:17 pm »

Try small businesses in your area. Less likely to run you through an online application process and actually get you an interview. Managements not as strenuous about who gets through hr. Bad news, management might not be very competent at all. But proving you can function without management makes you even more hireable!
Business and employment are rather strictly controlled in Norway for the most part; with the plus side being that if you can get a full position someplace, you have actual rights and a living wage, and are more or less able to keep that job for as long as you want.

My problem, you see, is that I have never been gainfully employed in my life. Nor do I have an education. Or a car/license. Or applicable experience in... Anything. Plus I have a mental illness that does not handle stress particularly well, as evidenced by the three half-days I spent stocking shelves at a local grocer sending me spiralling into a breakdown that had me sobbing all the way home and bloodying my hands by punching street ice every night.

Also my locale happens to feature three times as many registered unemployed as it does open job positions. This includes high-requirement positions such as Registered Nurses.

But hey, I'm officially fucked up enough to get disability benefits, so at least I'm not broke! And the ladies definitely love their welfare daddies...

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #189678 on: April 13, 2019, 03:57:52 pm »

Have you thought about freelancing from home? There's gotta be demand for English-Norwegian translators.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #189679 on: April 13, 2019, 04:09:18 pm »

Have you thought about freelancing from home? There's gotta be demand for English-Norwegian translators.
Everyone learns English in school, and I don't have any credentials to prove that I'm a better translator than the average high schooler.

I am a better translator than the average high schooler, but I don't have any credentials to prove it... And oh lawdy does Norway love its credentials!

But to be honest, I hadn't really considered it much. Haven't the foggiest idea what's even involved with trying to rise above the rabble and make money off of being bilingual.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • what about full of shit? is that a meme too?
    • View Profile
« Reply #189680 on: April 13, 2019, 04:25:16 pm »

14160 posts on an english speaking forum is a solid statistic, at least. :V

Over the course of 11 years, you're either good with the language or at least very persistent.
Insatiable consumption. Ceaseless motion. Unstoppable destruction.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #189681 on: April 13, 2019, 04:37:19 pm »

Over the course of 11 years, you're either good with the language or at least very persistent.
I grew up in the US, Norwegian is my second language. That's the trickier one for me to prove that I'm fluent in... I took the basic competency test that's required for anyone pursuing higher education here, and I passed it, but it wasn't a phenomenal score.

And while I do have a Facebook quiz result placing me in the top 0.1% of English-speakers, I have my doubts as to how many employers would take that seriously, heh.

Actually I do have the results for the English Comprehension and English Composition exams I took as basically a cheat to count as a year of college studies, but in and of themselves I don't think they're good for anything. Not part of a proper degree or coordinated program.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #189682 on: April 13, 2019, 04:52:04 pm »

But to be honest, I hadn't really considered it much. Haven't the foggiest idea what's even involved with trying to rise above the rabble and make money off of being bilingual.
Well, first you poke around and find someone that's looking for help, and help them. Then you do it again, and repeat until people notice. Maybe gussy up a website or patreon offering commission work. You don't actually need to rise above the rabble to make money, really. Just manage to get yourself into the rabble being paid.

The big thing with translation work, from what I understand, isn't so much capability as persistence and consistency. There fucking boatloads of bilingual people but far, far fewer willing to put the time and effort into localization and particularly without buggering off into the distance half way through a project. If you can prove yourself willing and consistently not bugger off for a while you'll probably get some attention.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #189683 on: April 13, 2019, 04:56:54 pm »

Disclaimer: This is speaking from experience in a different job market than Norwegian, but I imagine many aspects *cough* translate across borders.
It's not that you have to have some crazy credentials to do the regular translation jobs. I.e. not sworn translations or translating for the EU, UN etc. Showing a proof of your ability - e.g. a paragraph or two of some random translated text - should be enough for starters. Later on you'll have the working experience as well.
There's a whole lot of unglamorous stuff that has to be done by somebody, often not because anyone strictly needs it, but because the law requires it, or some manager thought it would make their company look good to have bilingual everything.
Like translating operation and maintenance manuals or health and safety notifications, etc. for new products or industrial machinery. Or tender documentation for some construction project that needs to be posted on official boards. Or some correspondence between small businesses.

Oftentimes half of the job is typing the thing and formatting the document (because the original was in PDF or a scan of some old paper pages). Remember that any business that for whatever reason has to translate something has a few choices - either tell one of their employees to do it on their (paid) time, hire a translator on a permanent position, or contract the job to an agency. That's where you come in.
Contact some translation agencies (don't have to be in Norway), tell them you're looking to get your foot in the door in the business. Send them some examples of what you can do (a few paragraphs on different topics) - or they might ask you to translate a short bit of their own. They'll likely put you down on their stable of contacts, because even if you're not that great, sometimes there's just nobody else available and their clients can ask for a job to be done by tomorrow.
Then you just sit on your arse and wait for them to contact you. From then on being reliable and not picky about taking jobs counts for more than having credentials.

(Oh, and being a 'native' Amerrhicun counts for a lot - general preference is for the target language to be a native one)
« Last Edit: April 13, 2019, 05:03:55 pm by Il Palazzo »

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #189684 on: April 13, 2019, 05:18:05 pm »

I thunk in Europe translators should be licensed translators in principle. At least for serious work.
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #189685 on: April 13, 2019, 05:27:10 pm »

As I mentioned, most of the work in the industry doesn't require being licensed. It pays less, so you have to work more, but it's also less demanding and still provides for a relatively comfy living.

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #189686 on: April 13, 2019, 07:31:11 pm »

I grew up in the US, Norwegian is my second language. That's the trickier one for me to prove that I'm fluent in... I took the basic competency test that's required for anyone pursuing higher education here, and I passed it, but it wasn't a phenomenal score.
Maybe spend 11 years posting on a Norwegian-speaking forum?
Quote from: KittyTac
The closest thing Bay12 has to a flamewar is an argument over philosophy that slowly transitioned to an argument about quantum mechanics.
Quote from: thefriendlyhacker
The trick is to only make predictions semi-seriously.  That way, I don't have a 98% failure rate. I have a 98% sarcasm rate.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #189687 on: April 13, 2019, 10:46:09 pm »

Better get started, then.
My happy: it would appear shrooms still work for me despite my medication.
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

overseer05-15

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #189688 on: April 14, 2019, 02:34:01 am »

did they make you taller
adult food like, I presume, steak and potatoes and tax forms,

My game giveaway

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
« Reply #189689 on: April 14, 2019, 04:30:24 am »

I saw a sheep give birth to triplets yesterday. Pretty happy about that.
One wheel short of a wagon
Pages: 1 ... 12644 12645 [12646] 12647 12648 ... 13312