Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 12711 12712 [12713] 12714 12715 ... 13312

Author Topic: [MILK] There were 12 eggs here what did you do with them? (Happy thread?!)  (Read 14601715 times)

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
Re: [Poi~] Poi is once again permitted (Happy thread)
« Reply #190680 on: August 10, 2019, 05:32:33 am »

Brave New World for two dollars?

That's a two-buck Hux.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #190681 on: August 10, 2019, 12:26:28 pm »

About to move the first load of my things into the new house.

Probably going to be without internet for a few days once we start settling in; I haven't even called my internet provider to make the transfer.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
« Reply #190682 on: August 10, 2019, 04:08:44 pm »

About to move the first load of my things into the new house.

Probably going to be without internet for a few days once we start settling in; I haven't even called my internet provider to make the transfer.
Congrats! You're the guy with the insane stepdad, and this constitutes a movement away from him, right?

Great news! Well done for getting out of there!
One wheel short of a wagon

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #190683 on: August 10, 2019, 05:03:46 pm »

Uh, no. Still living with them, but it's a house the we actually own instead of one formerly owned(foreclosed) by a rat-bastard who owes tens of thousands in back taxes and mortgage that's actually in the process of being sold.

Still a significant improvement.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #190684 on: August 10, 2019, 09:22:55 pm »

Slashdot *finally* removed the anonymous coward posting thing. And good riddance. Most anon posts consisted of gay-bashing of named users, and various racist spam.

overseer05-15

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #190685 on: August 11, 2019, 02:13:33 am »

Slashdot *finally* removed the anonymous coward posting thing. And good riddance. Most anon posts consisted of gay-bashing of named users, and various racist spam.

Now there's going to be burner account cowards.
adult food like, I presume, steak and potatoes and tax forms,

My game giveaway

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #190686 on: August 11, 2019, 03:07:53 am »

Yes and no... Slashdot does track IPs.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #190687 on: August 11, 2019, 03:31:10 am »

I dunno what Slashdot is but I'm sure these folks could get themselves a VPN if they really wanted to.
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #190688 on: August 11, 2019, 03:38:53 am »

Slashdot is one of the oldest news aggregators on the internet, having been in continuous operation since the 90s. (early 90s at that.)  It caters principally to technology nerds, hence the tagline: "News for Nerds; Stuff that matters."

As part of its long time tradition, it has allowed anonymous comments, but initially placed at visibility threshold of 0. (It only goes one lower, -1, for really offensive content.)  the intention, was that occasionally an industry insider might comment, and wish to remain anonymous for obvious reasons.

However, Eternal September finally caught up with slashdot after the whole "No, we will no longer host 8chan, because of how inflammatory it is" from cloudflare.  Slashdot decided that allowing anonymous comments, which as Reelya points out, had become 99% race-hate bait, and alt-sexual user bashing, needed to finally be done away with.

Part of me is happy that all those swastika ascii-art flood posts, and worthless shit from APK (a notorious troll) are finally dead.  Another part feels sorrow that anon posting has been killed to accomplish it, because anon posting is required for true free speech.  (Part of having free speech, is accepting speech you find disfavorable.)

KittyTac

• Bay Watcher
  • Impending Catsplosion. [PREFSTRING:aloofness]
    • View Profile
« Reply #190689 on: August 11, 2019, 04:06:25 am »

Between that and crushing 8chan, good riddance.
Don't trust this toaster that much, it could be a villain in disguise.
Mostly phone-posting, sorry for any typos or autocorrect hijinks.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #190690 on: August 11, 2019, 04:38:55 am »

No there won't be, or it'll be literally 0.01% as bad as it was. Every single story was being spammed by trolls repeating the same cut-and-paste offensive stuff. Now that they have to sign in, that stuff has just disappeared.

trolling is about minimum effort for maximum mayhem. Posting costs themselves time, but the payoff is that it inconveniences someone else, who has to try and read past the spam, and it inconveniences the moderator who must delete it. All while costing the spammer mere seconds.

If you make it require an account they have two choices: first, make a separate email and account for literally every post they do (which ensures not all posts can be deleted at once). This would inconvenience the troll far more than their victims, who merely have to click a "report" button and the post is deleted. Or, they can make one account and use it for multiple troll spam posts. The disadvantage of this choice is that trolls are also trying to inconvenience the moderators, and re-using the account means they can just delete all your posts at the account level with a single click.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2019, 04:41:30 am by Reelya »

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #190691 on: August 11, 2019, 05:04:31 am »

Considering that 99% of it was copy-pasta, A simple ruleset against anonymous cowards, coupled with a post cooldown (which they already have) if an anon tried to post that shit, frustrating any further attempts, would have fixed the problem without resorting to hard-core "No more anon posts" as the solution.  (EG, train a simple filter against the offensive flood posts in question, since they ALWAYS followed the exact same formulae, structure, and verbiage. Literally copy-pasta in the case of swastika asshole.)

As stated, I feel anon posts are required for proper discussion, and killing them as fallout from 8chan is a chilling effect I find very disfavorable. 

I am not sad do see APK finally shut the fuck up, and for the GNAA asshole to likewise, shut the fuck up.  Those two had it a long time coming.  I am just miffed that they broke an important part of free discussion in the process of being assholes.

No there won't be, or it'll be literally 0.01% as bad as it was. Every single story was being spammed by trolls repeating the same cut-and-paste offensive stuff. Now that they have to sign in, that stuff has just disappeared.

trolling is about minimum effort for maximum mayhem. Posting costs themselves time, but the payoff is that it inconveniences someone else, who has to try and read past the spam, and it inconveniences the moderator who must delete it. All while costing the spammer mere seconds.

If you make it require an account they have two choices: first, make a separate email and account for literally every post they do (which ensures not all posts can be deleted at once). This would inconvenience the troll far more than their victims, who merely have to click a "report" button and the post is deleted. Or, they can make one account and use it for multiple troll spam posts. The disadvantage of this choice is that trolls are also trying to inconvenience the moderators, and re-using the account means they can just delete all your posts at the account level with a single click.

There's also the point of fact about how slashdot moderation works;  Each user has a "Karma" score, based on how other registered users have received that user's comments.  This score can be either positive, or negative.  Positive karma results in a user's postings getting an immediate visibility of +1 or +2, and negative karma results in it getting 0 or -1, depending on just how bad that karma is.

Reusing a troll account would QUICKLY get to -1 levels of karma, and IIRC-- there are consequences for that happening.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2019, 05:12:44 am by wierd »

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
  • Baal's More Evil American Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #190692 on: August 11, 2019, 06:59:42 pm »

I have upgraded to 40 pushups at a time and did 400 today. I'm gettin fit
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

KateyKitsune

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #190693 on: August 12, 2019, 10:08:35 am »

Hello everyone, Max introduced me to here

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #190694 on: August 12, 2019, 10:10:43 am »

Hello, and welcome!

As for Max introducing you.... we have just finished having a discussion about how many Maxs there are on this forum :P
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread
Pages: 1 ... 12711 12712 [12713] 12714 12715 ... 13312