Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 12722 12723 [12724] 12725 12726 ... 12731

Author Topic: [Poi~] Poi is once again permitted (Happy thread)  (Read 7765515 times)

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: [Poi~] Poi is once again permitted (Happy thread)
« Reply #190845 on: August 23, 2019, 01:05:47 pm »

Accompanied my grandmother to the hospital today for a follow up eye check and things are going well with her vision. Slight double vision, but it's just from her having a weak eye muscle that makes visual drift more pronounced, her actual vision is pretty good now that the doctor has adjusted her glasses with a prism. He's hoping to get her a proper replacement lens sorted out soon.

Also just got a mini aquarium from my mum to set up as a shrimp tank as an early birthday present. Won't be ready for shrimp by my actual birthday, but it's still a nice little thing to stick by my desk and the shop assistant was kind enough to suggest a pump for the filter that they don't carry on the grounds it would be quieter than what they had in stock.

Also got McDonald's with my sister-in-law.

All in all not a bad day.

EDIT: Bit of research has told me the pond snails I have living in a plant culturing tank are good for kick starting water cycling in tanks, so I've plopped a few into the setup and they're trundling around pretty happily.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2019, 04:04:09 pm by Grim Portent »
There once was a dwarf in a cave,
who many would consider brave.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,
his ass I won't bother to save.

helmacon

• Bay Watcher
  • Crisper Child Extraordinaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #190846 on: August 24, 2019, 03:12:43 am »

That aquarium sounds wholesome as fuck.

But anyways, I got the job!! Specifically, a range and wildlife research tech working with bobwhite quail. Aside from bobwhites being cute little fuckers and the job a relatively fun job, it's the first time I've had a *paid* job that's well within my career interests, and makes use of my actual specialized skills. It feels like I'm finally making headway into some sort of career. A good feeling all around. (Not to mention it keeps my streak alive. I've never had a full interview and not been offered the job afterwards)
Science is Meta gaming IRL. Humans are cheating fucks.
So, basically, we have a hovercraft that explodes when used.
Still, Chief, you are correct. It is an excellent dog fighter. It managed to nail the one dog present in the audience.

Th4DwArfY1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #190847 on: August 24, 2019, 03:39:29 am »

That's brilliant! Good to hear.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  Th4DwArfY1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #190848 on: August 24, 2019, 03:48:47 am »

Very good! It's very hard to get a proper IN in the conservation industry. (They have a credentials requirement list a bazillion miles long, and often a waiting list of people wanting jobs, so they tend to be really fucking picky.)

Best of luck to you!

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #190849 on: August 25, 2019, 03:34:18 pm »

Cakeday has come to pass. It was good. Much food was consumed.
There once was a dwarf in a cave,
who many would consider brave.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,
his ass I won't bother to save.

Th4DwArfY1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #190850 on: August 25, 2019, 04:01:26 pm »

Mitosis levels?
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  Th4DwArfY1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

MaxTheFox

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I say?
    • View Profile
« Reply #190851 on: August 26, 2019, 05:02:29 am »

I heard that KSP2 won't be on Epic Store and won't have microtransactions! https://twitter.com/MatPiscatella/status/1164615813434707968?s=19
Blatant and proud furry. Also Russian.

I mark all my offensive and/or nonsensical posts with black or white text, depending on the board.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • Never stabs friends, promise!
    • View Profile
« Reply #190852 on: August 26, 2019, 07:41:33 pm »

It's been an exciting day! The police were chasing some stupid fucker all through the town for like an hour, customers would not give us 30 seconds to catch our breath, one government department demanded a formal quote for a $4000 piece of equipment because they had to show it to another department to get funding for it, I saw a truck sitting outside a grocery store on fire... And I made it to the bank on time and paid my bills. I'm tired now.
"THEN CAME TOBNOM, ASS-GOD".
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • Not having personal text in currentyear
    • View Profile
    • Realtalk for a second
« Reply #190853 on: August 26, 2019, 10:03:30 pm »

Some dumbass managed to rear-end me while we were both stopped at a red light, but there was no damage at all.

Cake
Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Dead Postocalypse lies dreaming.
    • View Profile
« Reply #190854 on: August 27, 2019, 12:57:36 pm »

I went on vacation! Went to the Baltimore Aquarium and Busch Gardens.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

TamerVirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Nobody cared who I was until I found Sub-Wikis
    • View Profile
« Reply #190855 on: August 27, 2019, 03:08:28 pm »

Williamsburg?
How was it?
Haven't been there in over a decade...
What can mysteriously disappear can mysteriously reappear

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #190856 on: August 27, 2019, 03:49:09 pm »

Williamsburg?
How was it?
Haven't been there in over a decade...

I'm reasonably local, so I go fairly often.

It's quite nice. Busch Gardens is still super clean and good, with like.... I dunno, 4 new coasters since then?

Baltimore Aquarium was rad AF because i brought my toddler and he was flabbergasted by all of the ridiculously cool stuff to see.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."

Trekkin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #190857 on: August 28, 2019, 07:25:03 am »

I got the job too. My salary's been summarily trebled for a start, my budget's two orders of magnitude higher, and they're so ludicrously well-equipped that it almost doesn't matter.

As for the people, it's quite something to find out that people you've spent your career looking up to have been geeking out over what you can do together. Half the interviews swiftly devolved into me designing and coding solutions to problems they've had for years or decades, and I've already heard back that one of them has apparently worked. There are a whole lot of previously impossible but very impactful things we've got to get through.

It's kind of weird how all the unpleasantness of college and grad school can suddenly become retroactively more than worth it, but...damn. Sometimes it really does all work out.

Gentlefish

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: balloon-like qualities]
    • View Profile
« Reply #190858 on: August 28, 2019, 10:22:45 am »

That's what I'm hoping for tbh. Had a phone interview on Monday for a postition I'm hardly qualified for, but they gave me a shot anyway.

I solved the test case they gave me on-paper with 10 minutes of an hour to spare, but my infosec masters roommate managed to ruin output in a heartbeat. Here's to hoping they were looking for an algorithm rather than smoothly-working code.

Haven't heard back from them immediately so they didn't recoil in disgust, I hope.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #190859 on: August 28, 2019, 12:31:05 pm »

I got the job too. My salary's been summarily trebled for a start, my budget's two orders of magnitude higher, and they're so ludicrously well-equipped that it almost doesn't matter.

As for the people, it's quite something to find out that people you've spent your career looking up to have been geeking out over what you can do together. Half the interviews swiftly devolved into me designing and coding solutions to problems they've had for years or decades, and I've already heard back that one of them has apparently worked. There are a whole lot of previously impossible but very impactful things we've got to get through.

It's kind of weird how all the unpleasantness of college and grad school can suddenly become retroactively more than worth it, but...damn. Sometimes it really does all work out.

Hey, that's great news!

Congrats!
Pages: 1 ... 12722 12723 [12724] 12725 12726 ... 12731