Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 12731 12732 [12733] 12734 12735 ... 13312

Author Topic: [MILK] There were 12 eggs here what did you do with them? (Happy thread?!)  (Read 14553052 times)

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
Re: [Poi~] Poi is once again permitted (Happy thread)
« Reply #190980 on: October 02, 2019, 07:55:54 am »

Happy Birthday! In honour of your cakeday, I will share with you my favourite stage of cheesemaking from yesterday:

Love, scriver~

CABL

• Bay Watcher
  • Has a fetish for voring the rich
    • View Profile
« Reply #190981 on: October 02, 2019, 09:06:18 am »

Happy Birthday! In honour of your cakeday, I will share with you my favourite stage of cheesemaking from yesterday:

My stomach's a bit full rn, and I already have a tiramisu mini-cake in my fridge, but thanks! Curd is love, curd is life!
Pounded in the Butt by my own Government... oh wait, that's real life.

Much less active than I used to be on these forums, but I still visit them on occasion. Will probably resume my activity in full once Dwarf Fortress will be released on Steam.

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #190982 on: October 02, 2019, 01:18:00 pm »

We got back from a first "exploratory" mission to Colombia. The trip was long a rough. The wife and pete didn't came along all the way, just up to the other side of the international bridge so he could get a lot of missing vaccines in the ACNUR post there. Thankfully all that went right. After I saw them sound and safe to the other side of the bridge again and in a bus home I keep going a tad further looking for jobs and general info. Not all was positive but it's far better than Peru were they are literally chasing venezuelans on the street.

We are back home now and exploring more options since we realized that our first calculations about money were a tad off and more will be required. The recent mugging I suffered resulted on a large set back to our funds. We'll have to knuckle under a few more months under this to save up. Also, the further we get into Colombia the more likely is find a stable job not already taken by another venezuelan but also the more risky it gets, specially since the FARC is acting up again and they are preying on people exactly like me, young (relatively) men with no income or support and little or no family at their side to forcibly conscript on their lines. This could be (more easily) avoided by moving into a large city but then also the costs skyrocket.

On the other hand it seems getting my wife the nationality will be easy, the hard part is make the trip and back with her grandmother which suffers from almost all aliments known to man, only thing really lacking there is diabetes. And is a 1600km trip back to back.
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
  • Baal's More Evil American Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #190983 on: October 02, 2019, 02:41:11 pm »

Depression is starting to abate (although this was the worst I've had ever) and I can feel the good feeling coming back. Feel like I wrestled an Ogre. Battered, hurt, but ultimately victorious once more.

Fuck you depression. That all you got?

Hahaha, depression went and got Life and they jumped me with knives and this post is in the wrong fucking place.
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #190984 on: October 02, 2019, 02:55:03 pm »

Overall I calculated that it cost me ~80-100 Swedish Crowns per kilo (price is that wide because I don't have the patience to calculate the cost of the yoghurt, fil milk, and rennet so I half-arsed it). The price of haloumi in the store is 155 Crowns/kg. And this cheese, that I've punnily dubbed Sydost (since the EU forbids me from calling it haloumi), is made from milk from one of the very most closest milk farms, bought directly on the farm, and doesn't have any baggage from the nasty cypriotic animal health standards that *real* haloumi comes with. So it's even much cheaper than it appears!

Tomorrow i will make HaloumiSydost Stroganoff and hopefully it will taste good too.
Love, scriver~

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #190985 on: October 02, 2019, 03:01:48 pm »

Scrivercheese: Cheaper for your wallet, and cheaper for your soul.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

TamerVirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Who cares
    • View Profile
« Reply #190986 on: October 02, 2019, 03:19:08 pm »

Scrivercheese

Scriver may be a mastah at cheese but he's no mastahcheese
I wonder what happened to mastahcheese
What can mysteriously disappear can mysteriously reappear
*Shakes fist at TamerVirus*

ggamer

• Bay Watcher
  • Reach Heaven through Violence
    • View Profile
« Reply #190987 on: October 02, 2019, 03:23:41 pm »

This one's a happy, if you like batshit hoodrat shit as much as i do. A two day underground take over of atlanta that started with a drag meet in a parking lot and ended with one of the busier intersections in midtown shut down by a shit ton of people. Again, only a happy if you're comfortable with watching people, like, fire off handguns into the air and block off an intersection with fireworks and a shitty honda civiv rippin shitties. The soundtrack is pretty wierdly nuanced, with a lot of expected mainstream/underground hip hop, but also a few choice tracks from games like hotline miami and battlefield 3.

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #190988 on: October 02, 2019, 04:55:22 pm »

This one's a happy, if you like batshit hoodrat shit as much as i do. A two day underground take over of atlanta that started with a drag meet in a parking lot and ended with one of the busier intersections in midtown shut down by a shit ton of people. Again, only a happy if you're comfortable with watching people, like, fire off handguns into the air and block off an intersection with fireworks and a shitty honda civiv rippin shitties. The soundtrack is pretty wierdly nuanced, with a lot of expected mainstream/underground hip hop, but also a few choice tracks from games like hotline miami and battlefield 3.
Why were they blocking the intersection? Was it a protest of some sorta. If so, against what?

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #190989 on: October 02, 2019, 05:02:39 pm »

They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

scourge728

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #190990 on: October 02, 2019, 05:05:24 pm »

Overall I calculated that it cost me ~80-100 Swedish Crowns per kilo (price is that wide because I don't have the patience to calculate the cost of the yoghurt, fil milk, and rennet so I half-arsed it). The price of haloumi in the store is 155 Crowns/kg. And this cheese, that I've punnily dubbed Sydost (since the EU forbids me from calling it haloumi), is made from milk from one of the very most closest milk farms, bought directly on the farm, and doesn't have any baggage from the nasty cypriotic animal health standards that *real* haloumi comes with. So it's even much cheaper than it appears!

Tomorrow i will make HaloumiSydost Stroganoff and hopefully it will taste good too.
can you explain some things from this for me, namely, the name sydost (what it means and the pun), why the EU forbids you from calling it haloumi, and what that cypriotic health standards are and what's wrong with them?

scriver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #190991 on: October 02, 2019, 05:54:15 pm »

Sydost: It just so happens that the word in Swedish for east (Öst or Ost) is the same as the word for cheese (Ost). Sydost is the word for Southeast. Southeast is also where you find Cyprus, which is where haloumi originates from. So it's a a cheese, a cheese from the south, and it's also the direction it is from.

Thank you very much for asking, I was very proud of that one and hoping I would get the opportunity to explain it to all of you who don't speak Swedish. I just didn't want to do it before anyone asked!

EU Forbiddence: Because the EU believes itself to have authority over the languages of all it's members it forbids the use of certain names for products which doesn't meet different arbitrary sets of rules for these products. Sometimes this is good, like say a "Polskisauski" sausage can only be called Polskisauski if it has 30% goat meat, because it was traditionally used with goat in Poland, so that people aren't just able to slap the Polskisauski on any usual kind of pork sausage just because the name has gotten popular. But mostly it's just nonsense stuff which protects Frenchmen from honest competition over their shitty wines with rules like "It can't be called Champagne unless it's from the province of Champagne". Because of trade deals with the EU I believe the US also has to follow those rules.

Now, I didn't make my haloumi according to the traditional recepy, so it's moot. But even if I would have done so I still wouldn't have been able to call it haloumi because it wasn't made in Cyprus.

Because, you know, the EU is only in favour of free trade when it serves the Big Three.

Health Standards: Animal health standards in Cyprus are horrific. They also have the highest usage of antibiotica per capita in the EU:

Those numbers are from 2011 but they're still the biggest user in the EU. You can look up 2016 data here if you want, they have an interactive database.

So basically haloumi became a huge hit in the last few years. Sweden have some of the highest animal health standards in the world, but Swedes are generally very naive and don't realise how much this is not the same abroad. So there was a huge kalabalik earlier this year when it was revealed that -- ve och fasa! -- Cyprus' standards are not up to our standards and the cheese was full of ANIMAL ABUSE and SUFFERING.

But yes, snidery aside, I must admit that I also had not thought much about Cyprus' standards, and was also taken by surprise about just how freakishly out of this world the difference was. I usually try to only buy Sweden-produced goods specifically because I know just how much better they are (for my conscience and health both), so I felt kind of bad that I had let this all slip by without considering. Because of the above EU rules the sales of non-Cypriotic haloumi was nearly non-existent -- the fad was for halloumi and halloumi only. Since the scandalous news spread sales of Sweden-produced pirate cheese has been picking up (under the names Stekost, Frying Cheese, and Eldost, Fire Cheese), but I heard about how simple it was to make yourself so I decided to try it, since I can buy wholemilk by the litre on that nearby farm anyway.
Love, scriver~

scourge728

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #190992 on: October 02, 2019, 06:18:36 pm »

Very informative, thank you, and that pun is pretty good yeah

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #190993 on: October 02, 2019, 06:20:37 pm »

This was good to read. I found it informative as well

scriver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #190994 on: October 02, 2019, 06:57:19 pm »

Oh, and by the way, since I realise this might not be obvious -- the reason for me associating antibiotics use with animal health is this: To me, the amount of antibiotica used is directly relative to how well animals are treated. It might seem that at first glance, more antibiotica means better care -- after all, antibiotica is used to treat diseases right?

But here's the why of Sweden's philosophy of animal health: An animal in good conditions needs less care than one that is badly treated. It is healthier, so it is able to better resist diseases. It is cleaner and it gets less damaged, so it does not get as many infections. To ensure good health, you give the animals better conditions, wider and cleaner spaces. This means antibiotica is only applied on a need-to-use basis.

In much of the rest of the world it's quite the opposite. The conditions are shit, so animals get dirty and scratched. Disease and infection run rampant in cramped spaces. So when you approach a farmer they go "Use less antibiotics? I can't, my animals will die". They work on an assumption that "infection is unavoidable" because under the conditions the animals live, that is true. And by this assumption they deploy anti-biotics preemptively, constantly, to prevent disease.

So my chain of assumption is as follows: If conditions are bad, they cause ill health. The worse the conditions, the worse the health. The worse the health, the more anti-biotics need to be used. Thus -- more antibiotics, worse conditions. Since Cyprus uses such a ludicrous amount of antibiotics, it's health standards must be ridiculously low.

I don't actually know anything about how the health standards in Cyprus is like. It's pretty much conjecture based on the above reasoning.
Love, scriver~
Pages: 1 ... 12731 12732 [12733] 12734 12735 ... 13312