Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 12736 12737 [12738] 12739 12740 ... 13312

Author Topic: [MILK] There were 12 eggs here what did you do with them? (Happy thread?!)  (Read 14560652 times)

Ulfarr

• Bay Watcher
  • Going on a pilgrimage to Mars
    • View Profile
Re: [Poi~] Poi is once again permitted (Happy thread)
« Reply #191055 on: October 15, 2019, 11:15:22 am »

Not a parent but I'm with the Th4DwArfY1 and Reelya on this, video games can be a good source of inspiration for children and they can teach them how to use a computer which is not only useful but a necessity in the modern world.

Games that allow split screen or hot seat, or even games that don't but can be configured* to be played by more than one player at a time, in the same room, can be a nice option for a social activity, kind of like a session of a board game where the game is actually second fiddle to the interactions/banter  between the players. I stress the "in the same room" part because I believe that online multiplayer will never substitute the benefits of having other players right next to you.

*I used to play an old racing game (Extreme G 2) in some kind of "coop" mode with my siblings. It was a port from ps1 I think and the default controls on pc were too awkward for only one player. We were to young and didn't know  that we could configure them, so we just divided them among us with one steering the vehicle and another controlling the weapons.

A good ol' lan party, every now and then, can also be a nice introduction to the more technical aspects of using a computer, especially if the kids have to learn how to set it up themselves. Do your kids want to maximise their characters/whatever? Teach the how to use a spreadsheet program (excel, libreCalc..) instead of some online calculator, that will surely come in handy later.

With that being said regulating how much time and when they are allowed to play is necessary to help the kids build some work ethic and of course gaming should never be the only hobby for any kid. Having other hobbies that allow them to both interact and meet new people is vital in order to develop their social skills.

On the more practical "how do you regulate video game time", my cousin (her kids are a bit older though) restricts how much time the kids can spent on them in such an amount that they then have to entertain themselves with something else for the rest of their free time. That helps them build some interest in other things.
Bring Kobold Kamp to LNP! graphics compatibility fix.

So the conclusion I'm getting here is that we use QSPs because dwarves can't pilot submarines.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #191056 on: October 15, 2019, 11:28:29 am »

I get you, but you shouldn't over-react based on your personal experience. Most people, especially girls don't tend to end up like that despite having access to plenty of video games. So while I get that you're worried that your niece will become a game-junkie you also need to be aware that this is in fact statistically pretty unlikely,

If you want to talk statistics, just being my relative makes it like 10000 times likelier though.
Love, scriver~

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #191057 on: October 15, 2019, 12:52:45 pm »

This is more than I expected and all super helpful :D
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

kingawsume

• Bay Watcher
  • Still wondering why orang man and meme man feud.
    • View Profile
    • Sig Text
« Reply #191058 on: October 15, 2019, 01:24:13 pm »

I have a car now. It is nice.
Urist McZombie, werecarp, has taken form! A giant carp twisted into a humanoid form. Its eyes glow blue. Its fins are purple. Now you will know to fear the night.
"Problems with playing in evil biomes"

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #191059 on: October 15, 2019, 01:27:19 pm »

That is a cool car. Not many people have purple cars these days. I wish purple was more common, but then it wouldn't be as rare to find.

kingawsume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Sig Text
« Reply #191060 on: October 15, 2019, 01:28:20 pm »

Black, it's a little blurry bc my phone cam's shite. I'll take a better picture when I get the chance (mum takes it to work).
« Last Edit: October 15, 2019, 01:31:45 pm by kingawsume »
Urist McZombie, werecarp, has taken form! A giant carp twisted into a humanoid form. Its eyes glow blue. Its fins are purple. Now you will know to fear the night.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #191061 on: October 15, 2019, 01:58:20 pm »

This is more than I expected and all super helpful :D

Hey man, anything to keep your son away from videogames. Cause you know what those lead to? Getting involved with Gaming Forums, especially those of niche indie titles about dwarfs; just a bad crowd, a real horrible influence on a young mind.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #191062 on: October 15, 2019, 02:06:27 pm »

My son got upset when Tigger was stuck on a cliff ledge and Pooh bear had to reach down and get him because he felt really bad for Tigger. Each time he watches it he isn't sure if Tigger is going to be OK. You never know after all.

Comprehension of Dwarf Fortress would either cause him to instantly vaporize from emotional stress, or turn him into the kid from Omen. He's a really good kid. My Kid, not the one from Omen.

Anyhoo he is super into MarioKart but only if me or his mum is watching. So it's sort of social for now.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #191063 on: October 15, 2019, 02:27:21 pm »

Congrants king, a piece of advice, make a ritual of every week (sunday morning is a good time), of checking all fluids like oil engine, coolant/antifreeze, steering hydraulic oil, breaks fluid, automatic gearbox liquid (I suppose you aren't driving a stick), hell even check for windshield wiper liquid. Check tires preasure and every once in a while check the spare (every 2 o 3 months is fine).

Also do all this before making a road trip. Also be mindfull of any leaks the car leaves in the parking spot. Always use the belt and NEVER drive while drunk, high or using your phone.
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #191064 on: October 15, 2019, 02:42:03 pm »

Congrants king, a piece of advice, make a ritual of every week (sunday morning is a good time), of checking all fluids like oil engine, coolant/antifreeze, steering hydraulic oil, breaks fluid, automatic gearbox liquid (I suppose you aren't driving a stick), hell even check for windshield wiper liquid. Check tires preasure and every once in a while check the spare (every 2 o 3 months is fine).

Also do all this before making a road trip. Also be mindfull of any leaks the car leaves in the parking spot. Always use the belt and NEVER drive while drunk, high or using your phone.

The Wisdom of the Ancients

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #191065 on: October 15, 2019, 03:54:53 pm »

More like the wisdom of the poor, by the time before I had to sell my car tackling any problem before it required more money was vital.
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

TamerVirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Who cares
    • View Profile
« Reply #191066 on: October 15, 2019, 04:50:27 pm »

Real parenting is crushing your kid in a 1v1 and then teabagging the corpse.
It'll teach them that there is always someone better, so git gud
What can mysteriously disappear can mysteriously reappear
*Shakes fist at TamerVirus*

kingawsume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Sig Text
« Reply #191067 on: October 15, 2019, 05:17:20 pm »

Living with my father for my childhood taught me most of that, but thanks anyways. I am driving stick, actually.

Working on either getting a stock airbox or a new cold air intake right now, as the previous owner tried to rice it and stuck on an intake that (a) doesn't accomplish anything (it's right next to the radiator ffs), and (b) was never installed properly, so the intake leaks where the pipe meets the engine. Poor thing, PO also put on darkened taillight plastic, stick-on blind spot mirrors (backwards), different sun visors (also backwards), and put in some funky floor mat. Tire tread was patchy, so we put some new ones on, had 'em rotated and balanced, ect.
Ride's a whole lot smoother with those new tires, I say that.

Tamer ninja'd. And I'll say, teach you kid how to play Monster Hunter. That'll teach 'em that they need to get gud.

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #191068 on: October 15, 2019, 06:41:14 pm »

-
« Last Edit: November 20, 2020, 03:29:52 pm by dragdeler »
let

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #191069 on: October 15, 2019, 06:44:12 pm »

If I remember correctly, the Extinction Movement is basically pledging to not have children, thus not contributing to the continuation of human existence. It doesn't necessarily mean violence against people.
Pages: 1 ... 12736 12737 [12738] 12739 12740 ... 13312