Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 12745 12746 [12747] 12748 12749 ... 13310

Author Topic: [MILK] There were 12 eggs here what did you do with them? (Happy thread?!)  (Read 14383473 times)

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
Re: [Poi~] Poi is once again permitted (Happy thread)
« Reply #191190 on: October 31, 2019, 05:32:50 am »

Like, if I was going to contribute online it wouldn't be shitposting comments on random posts that are going to be forgotten cruft within 48 hours, it would be updating wikis and stuff.

He says, while posting on a thread in a little-known forum, that is pretty much never read back through. :P
Quick, somebody come up with an unusual word or phrase to use as a codeword when we need to dig up this post again!   
« Last Edit: October 31, 2019, 06:16:11 am by Yoink »
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #191191 on: October 31, 2019, 05:52:05 am »

Like, if I was going to contribute online it wouldn't be shitposting comments on random posts that are going to be forgotten cruft within 48 hours, it would be updating wikis and stuff.

He says, while posting on a thread in a little-known forum, that is pretty much never read back through. :P

Forums are just better. It's not 50 million different new shitpost topics per day here*. Perhaps it's that I prefer the linear conversation model to the tree conversation model that Reddit uses. The tree-style post and replies model seems less suited to having medium-length conversations about stuff, since everyone moves on so quick to the next post. The conversation somewhere like Reddit, or even on single boards that use Disqus is just way more schizo.

I mean, if this was Reddit even this conversation would already be over because both of us would be shitposting in the next new topic that appeared by now. Or you could have a conversation between two known users, but it would be schizophrenically spread across time across dozens of unrelated topics.

* Although there are reasons more people might use Reddit, that's like saying heroin is a better drug than pot since once you're on heroin you don't go back to pot.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2019, 06:09:32 am by Reelya »

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #191192 on: October 31, 2019, 06:15:11 am »

Yeah, that's not so much a Reddit thing as a community thing. In the very big subs that happens, but I've had plenty of meaningful discussions.

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #191193 on: October 31, 2019, 06:54:11 am »

Yeah, that's not so much a Reddit thing as a community thing. In the very big subs that happens, but I've had plenty of meaningful discussions.

No, it's definitely a format thing.
Love, scriver~

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #191194 on: October 31, 2019, 07:23:41 am »

The format discourages super long conversations, but I've never really seen the sort of hyperactive jumping between threads Reelya seems to be describing in the communities I frequent. If people want to have a longer discussion, they... have the longer discussion. Nothing actually forces them to stop. It's harder to read, but it's completely fine to write.

Edit: all that said of course I have no particular stake in converting people to liking Reddit and there are many reasons to dislike it. If you don't like the platform, that's fine, it just confuses me when people say Reddit is terrible as though it's a monolithic Nazi hive mind.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2019, 07:32:53 am by Arx »

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

CABL

• Bay Watcher
  • Has a fetish for voring the rich
    • View Profile
« Reply #191195 on: October 31, 2019, 07:34:59 am »

That's where Discord's better, IMHO; it's far easier to read a conversation over there, since the conversation flow's continuous, and thanks to no comment branches, it's very easy and quick to read through. Plus the realtime conversations that Discord has have spoiled me, so I only comment on Reddit like, a few times in two months, at best. The only time I've regretting stepping my foot into a Discord server was a r/paradoxplaza Discord. The place was filled with douchebags/nationalists/assholes/all three, and the "valuable discussion" that only that sort of folk can create.
Pounded in the Butt by my own Government... oh wait, that's real life.

Much less active than I used to be on these forums, but I still visit them on occasion. Will probably resume my activity in full once Dwarf Fortress will be released on Steam.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #191196 on: October 31, 2019, 07:44:58 am »

I mean... Discord is just your standard chat format.
Love, scriver~

CABL

• Bay Watcher
  • Has a fetish for voring the rich
    • View Profile
« Reply #191197 on: October 31, 2019, 07:49:07 am »

True that, but still, if a sub has a Discord server, its usually better than the OG sub, because lack of karma/rep feature actually can create some interesting discussions (or wild memeing), and not just constant reposts.
Pounded in the Butt by my own Government... oh wait, that's real life.

Much less active than I used to be on these forums, but I still visit them on occasion. Will probably resume my activity in full once Dwarf Fortress will be released on Steam.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #191198 on: October 31, 2019, 07:54:29 am »

That's where Discord's better, IMHO; it's far easier to read a conversation over there, since the conversation flow's continuous, and thanks to no comment branches, it's very easy and quick to read through. Plus the realtime conversations that Discord has have spoiled me, so I only comment on Reddit like, a few times in two months, at best. The only time I've regretting stepping my foot into a Discord server was a r/paradoxplaza Discord. The place was filled with douchebags/nationalists/assholes/all three, and the "valuable discussion" that only that sort of folk can create.
Discord... the chat app?  Seems odds to compare it to Reddit, an enhanced message board.  Literally like comparing IRC to newgroups.
Fakedit: sorta-addressed but still.  And the karma system seems to work fine on the low-drama subreddits I ever actually check.

I don't know much about the larger Reddit community, just that it has some very fine subreddits.  I guess that's one way it and Discord are similar, though Discord servers are naturally a lot more isolated than subreddits.

There are, of course, absolutely disgusting Discord servers (and I don't mean pervy).  They just aren't as easy to find as subreddits (even the """banned""" subreddits, which apparently just means "not actively advertised on the front page oh noes").
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

TamerVirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Who cares
    • View Profile
« Reply #191199 on: October 31, 2019, 08:47:14 am »

Realistically, I jump between different communities based on the level of anonymity I desire at the moment. Here, I’m obviously a known entity but so is everyone else so there’s a deeper sense of familiarity and closeness in the conversation. Reddit is more of a pseudonymous scoreboard. “How much Karma can you rack up with this shitpost!” type of thing. The dopamine hit from having your dumb joke ‘recognized’ by thousands of people is fleeting yet undeniable.
What can mysteriously disappear can mysteriously reappear
*Shakes fist at TamerVirus*

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #191200 on: October 31, 2019, 08:55:34 am »

Ugh, I hate Discord and the fact that it has somehow become the standard.   
I use it, but only because a certain game uses it as its primary/only mode of communication.   
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #191201 on: November 01, 2019, 11:16:34 am »

My only experience with anything even slightly similar to Discord is Skype, which was a dumpster fire that always dropped calls and crashed all the time.

I'm only active in three servers: one for the Extra Creditz game jam community, one with some personal friends, and one for an extremely small streamer (who happens to be a childhood hero but that's a different story.)
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #191202 on: November 01, 2019, 11:19:30 am »

I want to know about your extremely small childhood hero.

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #191203 on: November 01, 2019, 11:32:14 am »

So when I was a smol preteen, general lack of money meant I was extremely isolated from pop culture at large. No cable TV, sporadic Internet access, no new games, home school. The end result is my tastes got stuck in 2002 for about ten years.

I liked videogames, I also had a passing fondness for rap music. One fine day on the computers at the public library, I found nerdcore: rap music about videogames. 8 Bit Bullshit was one of my favorite albums, but then I found out the guy also put out more serious music. Since I didn't have anything else to listen to, he became my new favorite.

I realize now that it's probably not that great, but I still have a lot of love for the guy for having the balls to put himself out there with no money or label, just an amateur musician doing what he loved, because he loved it. Then I found out through his Facebook page that he now streams on Twitch every Thursday, he's a super cool dude and working to preserve a lot of retro game stuff that tends to get lost in the shuffle. Right now he's hunting for JP-exclusive Snatcher stuff and scanning old MSX magazines. Here's his website if you wanna check it out.
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

Rockeater

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #191204 on: November 01, 2019, 06:31:23 pm »

Well, I now feel better about my math abilities, I found two things that I thought were mistakes in one of the course's homework and got confirmation I was right, and I answered most the questions I need to for those with another one being possible from that!
Still not eliminating the option this is not for me but it's a great feeling to have this progress!
Damnit people, this is why I said to keep the truce. Because now everyone's ganging up on the cats.
Also, don't forget to contact your local Eldritch Being(s), so that they can help with our mission to destroy the universe.
Pages: 1 ... 12745 12746 [12747] 12748 12749 ... 13310