Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 12750 12751 [12752] 12753 12754 ... 13312

Author Topic: [MILK] There were 12 eggs here what did you do with them? (Happy thread?!)  (Read 14538957 times)

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: [Poi~] Poi is once again permitted (Happy thread)
« Reply #191265 on: November 10, 2019, 03:29:16 am »

Man I'm sure glad this place is back, I was really Jonesing for some Bay 12.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
  • Baal's More Evil American Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #191266 on: November 10, 2019, 06:14:16 am »

Tonight I DM again!
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #191267 on: November 10, 2019, 07:02:40 am »

Not so much a "Happy" as a Fascinated, but I just learned of the Cangaço bands of Brazil who operated around the beginning of the 20th century.

Not sure if I'd even heard the word Cangaço before, but I was looking through a list of Netflix original movies and came across The Killer from 2017.
From there, I googled the protagonist's name since I was under the impression he was a real historical figure. Apparently not, but he was based on the real-life cangaceiros, who I spent the next twenty minutes or so reading about.

Apparently there is at least one well-regarded biography of Lampião, one of the last and most renowned Cangaço leaders. I wouldn't mind getting my hands on a copy!

@Hans: oh, sweet. Have fun!
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #191268 on: November 12, 2019, 10:04:25 am »

Tonight I DM again!
Congrats! I know the feel, I'm not DMing but I'm planning with me m8s to finally get back into gaming next month

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #191269 on: November 12, 2019, 11:18:17 am »

Tonight I DM again!
Congrats! I know the feel, I'm not DMing but I'm planning with me m8s to finally get back into gaming next month

We actually had to cancel because one player lost her voice, another had to work, and another had to Skype in so I called it off.

But! It allowed me to plan out my encounters much better and now they're scary.
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #191270 on: November 12, 2019, 11:21:00 am »

Engage spooks

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #191271 on: November 12, 2019, 11:24:35 am »

Hags and illusions actually. That lovely mutton dinner? Actually the last 'guest'. Finely kept Inn? Run down ruin. That attractive and hmmhmm overtly friendly barmaid? Hideous man-eating monster-witch.
He's fucking with us.

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #191272 on: November 12, 2019, 11:27:14 am »

Hags and illusions actually. That lovely mutton dinner? Actually the last 'guest'. Finely kept Inn? Run down ruin. That attractive and hmmhmm overtly friendly barmaid? Hideous man-eating monster-witch.
Please post what happens in a thread. It sounds like an interesting read

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #191273 on: November 12, 2019, 11:49:57 am »

I'll be a first time DM in a few weeks. I have a setting, a basic plot, and no idea what I'm doing or how to prepare.

.... should be fun.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #191274 on: November 12, 2019, 11:56:54 am »

Shouldn't you prepare things like extra npcs, a backup plot, and a rockslide in case of emergency or deviance?
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #191275 on: November 12, 2019, 01:59:38 pm »

To reiterate: first time :P

I have no idea how the DM's side goes, how to determine loot, how to make enemies.

Plot is my strong point here.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Haspen

• Bay Watcher
  • Cthuwu
    • View Profile
« Reply #191276 on: November 12, 2019, 02:21:46 pm »

Make 5 side-plots and 10 variations of main plot juuuuust in case ;v
SigFlags!
Quote from: Draignean@Spamkingdom+
Truly, we have the most uniquely talented spy network in all existence.
Quote from: mightymushroom@Spamkingdom#
Please tell me the Royal Physician didn't go to the same college as the Spymaster.

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #191277 on: November 12, 2019, 04:47:29 pm »

You also might want to flesh out locations a bit (and use them some other time when they don't get used) and some NPCs. Simple stuff like what the place is, who is there, and what's going on. Maybe why, if the question makes sense. That way, when the players decide to go prepare for their trip, or go ask random people in the tavern for information, you already know what those places are and possibly what they can learn.

So the tavern has a tavern-keeper, some sort of entertainer, a traveling apple merchant, and maybe a retired adventurer or other local who is just there to drink. Make up a stupid name for the business, and you're good to go.

Off the top of my head (based on what I feel like would get asked, or the people would know): The tavern keeper mostly keeps busy with work and isn't aware of what's going on outside of that, but does know who is around and can point you to someone who can probably answer their questions if you buy something. The entertainer has stories about things that happened long ago, and will tell them as a song for a silver piece, and the story is 70% true. The merchant doesn't have anything useful, but can trade information from the PCs for information about surrounding towns and areas they avoid. The local can tell you about local goings-on if you buy them a drink, which was probably the price of the tavern keeper telling you who to ask in the first place. I don't know if you'd write anything down for that, depending on how good you are at remembering why you did things, or what your shorthand notes meant.

For larger locations, figure out how people and goods get in and out. Also, what do they use for sewers, because PCs really want to catch hepatitis/cholera.

You don't actually need to keep the players on track. Just have a back-up plan, and use money as an incentive to do what you want them to. They get paid however much gold for exploring the dungeon and bringing back whatever, or they don't do that and don't get paid. They could rob a house, but the local thieves' guild wants their cut up front (in case they get caught), or they'll get ratted out to the guards. There's also someone who wants them to go find someone in a wilderness location, which leads to a different plot.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #191278 on: November 12, 2019, 04:59:51 pm »

To reiterate: first time :P

I have no idea how the DM's side goes, how to determine loot, how to make enemies.

That's kinda the point. if you have 20 clear signs steering the players to go to the Castle but off-handedly refer to the Forest, expect 9/10 times that the players decide to go hunt venison in the Forest rather than explore the Castle. Then, first-time DMs break and don't know how to deal with this or ad-lib, and a terrible time is had by all.

The solution is flexible geography. Give the players the "choice" to explore the swamp, the forest or the hills. Whichever one they choose, they come across the "abandoned keep". At that point typical players are like "well we're here now might as well poke around inside". "FOMO" is you best friend for railroading players.

Also, important point, if you don't want the players to hang around somewhere, don't give them too much interesting stuff to do there / too much description. But If you do want the players to stick around then add something time-wasty but fun there. And fun means loot.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2019, 05:04:34 pm by Reelya »

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #191279 on: November 12, 2019, 05:02:59 pm »

Spoiler: batch nr 2 (click to show/hide)

Cuz I'm a cheesemaker yes I am
(Yes I am what)
(Yes I am cheese)
Love, scriver~
Pages: 1 ... 12750 12751 [12752] 12753 12754 ... 13312