Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 12771 12772 [12773] 12774 12775 ... 13310

Author Topic: [MILK] There were 12 eggs here what did you do with them? (Happy thread?!)  (Read 14382168 times)

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
Re: [Poi~] Poi is once again permitted (Happy thread)
« Reply #191580 on: December 14, 2019, 05:55:31 pm »

I agree. Its not.

The concept behind the question is a poorly hidden no true scottsman fallacy.

If the thing has novel internal associations based on its connections, and can present or act on those associations to validate or refute them accordingly, then use that to drive new associations for presentation/action, it is acting with a very robust intelligence.  It would not matter if its a copy of human models or a wholly new model. If it generates novel internal associations and then tests and employs them, it is behaving intelligently. 

Writing sonnets or painting pictures is just fluff. It takes intelligence to do those things well, but those are not things an intelligent actor MUST be able to do. Forming and testing theories of the environment is a thing all intelligent actors must do. (A virtual intelligence has a vastly different environment. The theories it makes will thus not be sensible to humans innately but still testable. This is unironically one of the reasons we make and use ai, to find associations in datasets we overlook, form a test of the association, then exploit the association. Thats essentially how big data analitics works on the generalized scale.)

The real deal with playing the no true scottsman game is to placate human exceptionalism so as to avoid unpleasant lines of inquiry. Especially as it relates to rights and compensation. Happens with animal intelligence all the time too.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #191581 on: December 15, 2019, 04:59:05 pm »

I've reached a thousand days online. Behold the glory of my eternal second-place.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #191582 on: December 15, 2019, 05:17:16 pm »

I've reached a thousand days online. Behold the glory of my eternal second-place.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #191583 on: December 15, 2019, 05:18:33 pm »

I'm pretty sure Jifodus has been online longer than time has existed.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #191584 on: December 15, 2019, 06:26:57 pm »

Are we sure jif isn't just the forum itself's account? I mean, I know they've said things occasionally but that doesn't entirely rule that out.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
  • Requires music to get through the working day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #191585 on: December 15, 2019, 06:32:13 pm »

Are we sure jif isn't just the forum itself's account? I mean, I know they've said things occasionally but that doesn't entirely rule that out.
Toady has been known to post in threads.
In any case it would be a battle of critical thinking and I refuse to fight an unarmed individual.
One mustn't stare into the pathos, lest one become Pathos.

nogoodnames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #191586 on: December 15, 2019, 06:47:48 pm »

I decided to take a look at my own time online...
111 days, 11 hours and 1 minutes.

Well how about that.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2019, 06:55:07 pm by nogoodnames »
Life is, in a word, volcanoes.
                        - Random human lord

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #191587 on: December 16, 2019, 03:53:51 am »

Just had a vague memory of a song pop into my head.
All I could recall was an indistinct impression of the album cover, that the band name was pretty long, that it was an old song and that it was really, really good - hence why I wanted to work out what it was. Seems like the sort of thing that can really torture you when you can't do so, but amazingly enough after a bit of a Youtube trawl through old folk music I went to google and simply wrote "folk band with long name".
Didn't find any specific sources of bands with long names, but I did find a list of folk rock artists on Wikipedia, skipped to the "1960s North American folk rock vocal groups" section (just a hunch) and boom! There it was: Crosby, Stills and Nash. They'd showed up in the recommendations based on what I had been listening to, too.   

It sounded vaguely familiar so I went back to Youtube, and sure enough I quickly found the familiar album cover and a song title that also rang a bell. Here it is. Pretty sure I first heard it in a movie and was moved enough to look up what it was.
Goddamn, it's still fantastic. So glad I managed to find that, it probably woulda bugged me for a long time. ^-^   
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #191588 on: December 16, 2019, 04:07:14 am »

I also just looked at my time online and I've been on for 80 days, so that means I could have gone around the world if I wasn't such a lazy fuck that spends 80 days on the internet.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #191589 on: December 16, 2019, 04:31:18 am »

Peter got a early present. A bunch of legos, true, original legos, even a bag was still sealed. He was beyond happy. We sat down to build a tractor, a truck and some other stuff. I haven't had so much fun since... I can't recall. And seeeing him so happy brought all the joy in the world to me.
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #191590 on: December 16, 2019, 04:42:24 am »

Just had a vague memory of a song pop into my head.
All I could recall was an indistinct impression of the album cover, that the band name was pretty long, that it was an old song and that it was really, really good - hence why I wanted to work out what it was. Seems like the sort of thing that can really torture you when you can't do so, but amazingly enough after a bit of a Youtube trawl through old folk music I went to google and simply wrote "folk band with long name".
Didn't find any specific sources of bands with long names, but I did find a list of folk rock artists on Wikipedia, skipped to the "1960s North American folk rock vocal groups" section (just a hunch) and boom! There it was: Crosby, Stills and Nash. They'd showed up in the recommendations based on what I had been listening to, too.   

It sounded vaguely familiar so I went back to Youtube, and sure enough I quickly found the familiar album cover and a song title that also rang a bell. Here it is. Pretty sure I first heard it in a movie and was moved enough to look up what it was.
Goddamn, it's still fantastic. So glad I managed to find that, it probably woulda bugged me for a long time. ^-^

Didn't you recently discover Neil Young too? That's pretty funny... Having grown up an American (and with parents who were not exactly isolated from the hippie generation), Young and CSNY were just kinda accepted as facts of life, having moved beyond the trappings of mere musical artists.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #191591 on: December 16, 2019, 04:44:21 am »

Peter got a early present. A bunch of legos, true, original legos, even a bag was still sealed. He was beyond happy. We sat down to build a tractor, a truck and some other stuff. I haven't had so much fun since... I can't recall. And seeeing him so happy brought all the joy in the world to me.

That's very sweet :D . I'm giving my niece a bunch of my old attic-forgotten duplos this year. I was also going to make her a dwarfy beard-hat but I didn't begin so I ran out of time.

Do Venezuelans give presents on Christmas or Epiphany, by the way?
Love, scriver~

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #191592 on: December 16, 2019, 05:27:03 am »

Sure, we love doing secret santa on the office and generally there's someone handing pranks gifts while at it.

On the eve of the 24th we share our presents and let the kids open theirs under the tree. However most people here say is the baby Jesus the one bringing the presents, not Santa. But Saint Nicolas (not Maduro, hehe) is ever growing more popular and used interchangeably, dunno, its part globalisation, part given we are mostly a catolich country a saint doing Jesus work sounds kinda rigth I guess.

Another tradition we have is to use new clothes on the 24th and the 31th. Eat 12 grapes at midnight the end of the year were every one is a wish for the next year and people going around the block with empty luggage so you'll travel a lot. I guess the last one really worked given theres almost 6 million of us living outside now.

Of course the economic crisis put a lot of constraints on this, also lots of people not being here makes the Christmas more dramatic and melancholic as there's either no enough money or no lots of people to share with or both.

As for food there's this little piece of heaven called hallaca. The best regional variant is the one from the Andes (my mountain home  ;D ) it's made with raw stew and the dough and stew are cooked together preferably on a wood stove. We also have pan de jamon (ham bread) which is fucking delicious.

Of course, sadly the food has suffered a lot for the crisis  too. I think we won't be able to do them this year (again) and haven't eaten one either which is the cultural equivalency of... duno, thanksgiving without turkey or cranberry sauce for an US guy. Perhaps some family will do and share with us, that's also a tradition, hallacas exchange so you can brag about how yours are better.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2019, 05:40:03 am by LordBaal »

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #191593 on: December 16, 2019, 06:48:41 am »

Christmas food wrapped up like a present is best food
Love, scriver~
Pages: 1 ... 12771 12772 [12773] 12774 12775 ... 13310