Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 12794 12795 [12796] 12797 12798 ... 13312

Author Topic: [MILK] There were 12 eggs here what did you do with them? (Happy thread?!)  (Read 14549359 times)

TamerVirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Who cares
    • View Profile
Re: [Burg] 12 burgs a day recommended daily intake (Happy thread)
« Reply #191925 on: January 18, 2020, 09:12:49 am »

You’re right, Satanic Panic is old news.
Let’s talk about what’s really relevant...
Momo Challenge Panic!
What can mysteriously disappear can mysteriously reappear
*Shakes fist at TamerVirus*

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #191926 on: January 18, 2020, 09:28:35 am »

I can't recall if I've had Satanic Panic, actually... Rocky Road Picture Show is quite tasty though, albeit just on the edge of my sweetness tolerance in stouts.

Pecanisher is right out.

Eschar

• Bay Watcher
  • hello
    • View Profile
« Reply #191927 on: January 18, 2020, 11:40:05 am »

I found an article criticising something I like (roguelikes). The article is very interesting, makes good and useful points, and is non-confrontational. (So a Bay12 flamewar?) This makes me happy.

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
  • Requires music to get through the working day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #191928 on: January 18, 2020, 02:43:04 pm »

I found an article criticising something I like (roguelikes). The article is very interesting, makes good and useful points, and is non-confrontational. (So a Bay12 flamewar?) This makes me happy.
That is an excellent article that makes valid criticisms.
In any case it would be a battle of critical thinking and I refuse to fight an unarmed individual.
One mustn't stare into the pathos, lest one become Pathos.

Ziusudra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #191929 on: January 18, 2020, 03:06:11 pm »

That is an excellent article that makes valid criticisms.
And invalid criticisms.

Edit: Which they later go on to admit are invalid and complain about the way RL devs address the ones that are valid.

This is just another person complaining about something they don't like wanting it to change to suit them rather than allowing it to exist.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2020, 03:24:46 pm by Ziusudra »
Ironblood didn't use an axe because he needed it. He used it to be kind. And right now he wasn't being kind.

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #191930 on: January 18, 2020, 03:20:34 pm »

The point of a rouguelike is permadeath/random generation. Criticizing rouguelikes for that is like criticizing a shooting game because it has guns

Superdorf

• Bay Watcher
  • Soothly we live in mighty years!
    • View Profile
« Reply #191931 on: January 18, 2020, 03:27:23 pm »

The guy did have a point, in that random generation should not produce unwinnable situations.
Falling angel met the rising ape, and the sound it made was

klonk
tormenting the player is important
Sigtext

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #191932 on: January 18, 2020, 03:28:19 pm »

Rogue
noun
2. an elephant or other large wild animal driven away or living apart from the herd and having savage or destructive tendencies.

Conclusion: Modern roguelikes do not contain enough angry, exiled elephants.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Eschar

• Bay Watcher
  • hello
    • View Profile
« Reply #191933 on: January 18, 2020, 03:30:56 pm »

Rogue
noun
2. an elephant or other large wild animal driven away or living apart from the herd and having savage or destructive tendencies.

DF does, though.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #191934 on: January 18, 2020, 03:33:58 pm »

Rogue
noun

DF does, though.

Cannot dispute
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Superdorf

• Bay Watcher
  • Soothly we live in mighty years!
    • View Profile
« Reply #191935 on: January 18, 2020, 03:36:19 pm »

DF did. What with their skittish nature and the 42.x combat rebalance, wild elephants are pushovers now.
Falling angel met the rising ape, and the sound it made was

klonk
tormenting the player is important
Sigtext

Ziusudra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #191936 on: January 18, 2020, 03:43:43 pm »

The guy did have a point, in that random generation should not produce unwinnable situations.
Nobody would dispute that. But it only happens in poorly made and/or early RLs. Yet they are saying all RLs suck because some RLs do. To which I reply with Sturgeon's law.
Ironblood didn't use an axe because he needed it. He used it to be kind. And right now he wasn't being kind.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #191937 on: January 18, 2020, 05:00:34 pm »

Snow Puppers :]
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #191938 on: January 18, 2020, 09:12:09 pm »

While I agree it sucks if the random generator sometimes gives you a bum situation, the solution to that is constrained generation. Which means many situations may just never occur. Since it's really impossible to determine actual winnability for a complex roguelike, you end up being over-constrained just in case, to ensure all builds are winnable. It's like saying "every movie must have a happy ending" and expecting that this isn't going to seriously restrict the types of stories that can be told.

If devs spent more time checking that 100% of random builds are winnable, that's a non-trivial AI type problem right there. It's like proving white or black can always win from a given chess position. There is an answer, but it's beyond the most powerful supercomputers we have, so you'd only generate "trivial" chess positions if you wanted to be able to say "white (the player) can always win from this position".

A significant chunk of developer's time and money would need to be spent. The alternative would be massively simplifying the types of builds that can exist, so that they can be automatically checked more easily, or just making the game much easier so you know you can always win no matter what it throws at you. So, you say that the player can always run away and regenerate health, and the player can regenerate health faster than the hardest boss. Now, I've made a game you're guaranteed you can always win no matter what it generates. But is it a better game?

EDIT:

I'm reading the article right now, and the guy doesn't even mention Diablo. Diablo was specifically developed to be a more AAA roguelike.
During development, Condor was eventually renamed Blizzard North.[20] The basis of Diablo was the 1980s roguelike game Moria;[21] Bill Roper later said that the team's "initial pitch, in a nutshell, was to take the excitement and randomness of games like Moria, Nethack, and Rogue, and bring them into the 1990s with fantastic graphics and sound". The switch from turn-based to real-time gameplay occurred roughly six months into production.
Diablo has hardcore mode as well, with permadeath, which is the main thing that the "Diablo isn't a roguelike" people would complain about.

The guy basically doesn't know what he's talking about, putting the entire roguelike resurgence down to a Nintendo DS port in 2008.

He then has a "why so popular" section and boils it down to two reasons. (1) it's easier (cheaper) for the devs to make random levels and (2) he thinks players are confusing it with other types of games. Neither of these things makes any sense. "Easier to make" doesn't automatically make something more popular, and the roguelike genre's been around long enough that just about anyone picking one up can't possibly be "confusing" it with the qualities or aspects of any other type of game. This article is so poorly researched as to make it worthless for toilet paper.

In Rogue and the first wave of roguelikes, permadeath was a simple byproduct of the fact that “saving” wasn’t a common concept in games yet; most games from the time -- even PC games with ready access to writeable media -- didn’t have saves. Shiren did have saves, but it treated the technological hindrance of its predecessors not having saves as a feature by adapting it into permadeath.

Yeah, bullshit. The very first version of Rogue didn't have saves because it was running on a mainframe, but as soon as they ported these games to PC, saves became normal. Permadeath was a deliberate design decision from the very first wave of roguelikes.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2020, 09:33:58 pm by Reelya »

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #191939 on: January 18, 2020, 09:33:33 pm »

Yeah, calling a shiren port as the turning point is just... weird. Especially considering how most the surge has even less to do with the mystery dungeon style than it does non-console RLs. Did the port actually sell well or somethin'?
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.
Pages: 1 ... 12794 12795 [12796] 12797 12798 ... 13312